website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

Does anyone here know what's actually going on with the qualification system of this sport? :d

I am asking this because the Hungarian coaches claimed that Veronika Mitykó needs a Top14 placement at the ECh in 71kg to qualify for Tokyo in 76kg. She finished 9th today. Is that really enough? I find this hard to believe, but who knows what's the deal here at this point with so many countries having reduced quotas and :PRK boycotting the Games. 

3 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Does anyone here know what's actually going on with the qualification system of this sport? :d

I am asking this because the Hungarian coaches claimed that Veronika Mitykó needs a Top14 placement at the ECh in 71kg to qualify for Tokyo in 76kg. She finished 9th today. Is that really enough? I find this hard to believe, but who knows what's the deal here at this point with so many countries having reduced quotas and :PRK boycotting the Games. 

Is he paid for doing the coach or is a hobby? He doesn't know anything on how the ranking works, the final placement doesn't matter, the important thing is the total kg lifted, and there is no chance for Veronyka to qualify. She has a lot of European lifters ahead of her. 

7 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

Is he paid for doing the coach or is a hobby? He doesn't know anything on how the ranking works, the final placement doesn't matter, the important thing is the total kg lifted, and there is no chance for Veronyka to qualify. She has a lot of European lifters ahead of her. 

More like the people working at the Hungarian Federation are simply clueless, which doesn't surprise me given the state of the sport here. 

• 2 weeks later...

with results from the Pan-American Championships , I calculated the possible new ranking for 61kg. I tried to be accurate but if you see a mistake, let me know.

I removed athletes with just 4 events, because they can't reach max 6 with just 1 event left in Colombia

no = didn't participate in the continental champs

1. :CHN Li - 4448

?. :INA Irawan - 4162 (no)

-. :CHN Qin - 3999 (no) (2nd CHN)

-. :VIE Thach - 3765 (VIE with 3 doping cases)

2. :COL Mosquera - 3762 (COL with 3 doping cases)

3. :JPN Itokazu - 3534

4. :GEO Mishvelidze - 3376

-. :BLR Laptseu - 3356 (NOC limited to 1)

5. :BUL Grozdev - 3323 (NOC limited to 2)

6. :GER Brandhuber - 3284 (also eligible for 67)

-. :COL Serna - 3046 (no) (2nd COL)

7. :TUR Hardel - 3028 (NOC limited to 2)

8. :KAZ Son - 3014 (NOC limited to 1)

9. :TPE Kao - 3001

10. :DOM Garcia - 2992

11. :PNG Baru - 2976 (Oceania)

-. :GER Mau - 2976 (2nd GER)

12. :KSA Al Saleem - 2919

13. :TKM Mirzayev - 2848

14. :CUB Calderon - 2817

-. :ECU Zurita - 2816 (no)

15. :ITA Ruiu - 2797

-. :ITA Scarantino - 2796 (no) (2nd ITA)

-. :CUB Onate - 2725 (no) (2nd CUB)

-. :MEX Vazquez - 2702 (no)

16. :ESP Brachi - 2678

* Colombia can be banned from the Olympics, since they have 3 doping cases inside the qualification zone but none of them are sanctioned yet so it seems they have a chance to survive. otherwise they wouldn't host a qualification event.

* I'm sure BLR is not going to pick Laptseu, but I'm not sure about BUL, KAZ and TUR, don't know how good they are in other weights. for Kazakhstan it will be between this guy or Bersanov (109kg) I believe Son will go to Tokyo

* Baru from PNG can still make it to top 8 and to help Oceania qualify another weightlifter but interestingly there is nobody else from Oceania in the ranking in this weight !!

* the best athlete from Africa right now is from Madagascar and he can't make it to top 8.

==========

so considering everything, these guys have a better chance to qualify

:CHN:COL:JPN:GEO:BUL:GER:TUR:KAZ == :TPE:DOM:PNG:ITA:MAD

there are so many variables. Germany can drop Brandhuber for Mau who had a better result in the Euro, Colombia can be banned, Indonesia can still qualify by participating in the last event, Bulgaria and Turkey may try different weights, and some weightlifters still can improve their ranking points in the Colombia event. for example TPE is too close to KAZ for the Asian spot. and the Saudi guy was on fire in Asia, he can do that too.

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

with results from the Pan-American Championships , I calculated the possible new ranking for 61kg. I tried to be accurate but if you see a mistake, let me know.

I removed athletes with just 4 events, because they can't reach max 6 with just 1 event left in Colombia

2. :VIE Thach - 3765

3. :COL Mosquera - 3762

4. :JPN Itokazu - 3534

5. :GEO Mishvelidze - 3376

6. :BUL Grozdev - 3323 (NOC limited to 2)

7. :GER Brandhuber - 3284 (also eligible for 67)

8. :TUR Hardel - 3028 (NOC limited to 2)

9. :KAZ Son - 3014 (NOC limited to 1)

10. :TPE Kao - 3001

11. :DOM Garcia - 2992

12. :PNG Baru - 2976 (Oceania)

13. :KSA Al Saleem - 2919

14. :TKM Mirzayev - 2848

15. :CUB Calderon - 2817

16. :ITA Ruiu - 2797

17. :ESP Brachi - 2678

* Colombia can be banned from the Olympics, since they have 3 doping cases inside the qualification zone but none of them are sanctioned yet so it seems they have a chance to survive. otherwise they wouldn't host a qualification event.

* I'm sure BLR is not going to pick Laptseu, but I'm not sure about BUL, KAZ and TUR, don't know how good they are in other weights. for Kazakhstan it will be between this guy or Bersanov (109kg) I believe Son will go to Tokyo

* Baru from PNG can still make it to top 8 and to help Oceania qualify another weightlifter but interestingly there is nobody else from Oceania in the ranking in this weight !!

* the best athlete from Africa right now is from Madagascar and he can't make it to top 8.

==========

:CHN:VIE:COL:JPN:GEO:BUL:GER:TUR == :KAZ:DOM:PNG:ITA:MAD

there are so many variables. Germany can drop Brandhuber for Mau who had a better result in the Euro, Colombia can be banned, Indonesia can still qualify by participating in the last event, Bulgaria and Turkey may try different weights, and some weightlifters still can improve their ranking points in the Colombia event. for example TPE is too close to KAZ for the Asian spot. and the Saudi guy was on fire in Asia, he can do that too.

And -49kg ? Please !

12 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

And -49kg ? Please !

maybe and Hopefully tomorrow after the Pan-American Championships in this weight.

but I can't promise, it really takes time calculating everything for each weight.

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

2. :VIE Thach - 3765

3. :COL Mosquera - 3762

4. :JPN Itokazu - 3534

5. :GEO Mishvelidze - 3376

6. :BUL Grozdev - 3323 (NOC limited to 2)

7. :GER Brandhuber - 3284 (also eligible for 67)

8. :TUR Hardel - 3028 (NOC limited to 2)

9. :KAZ Son - 3014 (NOC limited to 1)

10. :TPE Kao - 3001

11. :DOM Garcia - 2992

12. :PNG Baru - 2976 (Oceania)

13. :KSA Al Saleem - 2919

14. :TKM Mirzayev - 2848

15. :CUB Calderon - 2817

16. :ITA Ruiu - 2797

17. :ESP Brachi - 2678

==========

:CHN:VIE:COL:JPN:GEO:BUL:GER:TUR == :KAZ:DOM:PNG:ITA:MAD

If i understand, destiny for Ruiu depend by German's choice. Correct?

13 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

If i understand, destiny for Ruiu depend by German's choice. Correct?

most probably but still not completely. for example if that Indonesian guy participates in the last event in Colombia and if Turkey decide to use this quota (I think both of them are unlikely) Turkey will be out of top 8 and will take the European quota.

on other hand if Colombia gets disqualified and BUL, KAZ TUR decide to send athletes in other weights both German guys may end up in top 8.

but yes his fate probably will be decided by the Germans. still we will have a better picture about the whole thing when I finish with this ranking for all 7 weights. some countries may have more than 4 weightlifters inside the qualification zone.