website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

15 minutes ago, intoronto said:

The IOC will likely strip the IWF of running the event imo

We might have two sports run by the IOC at Tokyo2020. Cutting weightlifting and boxing would get the IOC much closer to their target number of quotas for Paris2024...

I would be sad to see weightlifting go, as it is one of my favorite sports on the program, but the IOC needs to put their foot down and make an example out of the AIBA and IWF, so that IFs get their shit together. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

This is a terrible decision and most importantly in the worst possible time ! I just checked and apparently IWF's electoral congress will be in 2021 and after December 2020 when IOC will decide about the 2024 Olympics. which means no time to fix this stupid mistake.

btw I probably didn't like some of Papandrea's decisions but I think she was a good person (unlike most of IWF guys)

With weightlifting it won't be as easy as with boxing for the IOC to govern it for Tokyo. First of all - much less time, secondly - in boxing it was mostly governance and judges, here we have... everybody, starting with athletes being doped. That's not so easy do sift.