website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

I hope she's ready to become the most hated person in the world if she wins a medal. This will get really ugly as soon as the general public starts to care about the 2020 Games. I think this kinda went under the radar as COVID dominated the discourse, but that will quickly change once people move on from all the cancellation talk. 

You're vastly over estimating how many people care about womens weightlifting if you think she's going to become the "most hated person in the world"

She might become the most famous weightlifter, but that's a pretty low bar to beat

7 minutes ago, dodge said:

You're vastly over estimating how many people care about womens weightlifting if you think she's going to become the "most hated person in the world"

She might become the most famous weightlifter, but that's a pretty low bar to beat

This isn't about women's weightlifting or how much people care about it. I am sure most people won't watch the event itself but the videos and images of her competing can and most likely will go viral everywhere as literally everyone has an opinion on trans people competing in women's sport and this sets a precedent on the biggest stage of international sports. I mean, she's already on the front page of CNN. 

2 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

There are many sports where it is easier to win an Olympic medal as opposed to a WC medal simply because the OG qualification systems are designed to be more inclusive. Weightlifting is far from unique in that.

But that's only if one looks at the Olympics as a stand alone tow week tournament. Nowadays the Olympics are a two year competition culminating in

a two week finals tournament. Everyone gets the chance to qualify and be it at rankings. qualifying competitions or their own countries trials. 

A lot of sports have bad qualification process but I think Weightlifting is among the worst. Only 4 per gender per NOC, complicated process, additional restrictions due to doping, very lengthy qualification timeline not giving much chance for youngsters and/or athletes with injury. I am sure other users would be able to list other problems as well. 

But, on the plus side, this time around atleast we didn't have athletes lifting less than their bodyweight qualifying for Olympics. 

5 hours ago, NearPup said:

I mean whether or not it's a good rule isn't the point, the point is that winning an Olympic medal in weightlifting isn't at all an indication that you are a top three lifter in the world.

well, that's true also in almost any other sport...think about some swimming events where the USA could have the whole starting field in the final race or some athletics events, especially in middle distance running...

as someone said, it's the Olympics that make the medal winners great, not the people winning medals that make the Olympics unforgettable...:p

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

This isn't about women's weightlifting or how much people care about it. I am sure most people won't watch the event itself but the videos and images of her competing can and most likely will go viral everywhere as literally everyone has an opinion on trans people competing in women's sport and this sets a precedent on the biggest stage of international sports. I mean, she's already on the front page of CNN. 

I'm not suggesting it won't be a story. I'm just saying your "most hated person in the world" was way over the top.

She'll have as many supporters as she will detractors

4 hours ago, dodge said:

People care about anything they can create drama about. A very tiny portion of the world knows even one weightlifter (and an even smaller portion knows a female weightlifter), but a large part has an opinion about transgenders competing against non-transgender women and a lot of those people don't want to have any discussion about it, they just want to put their fingers in their ears and yell as loud as possible how much Hubbard competing is all bullshit or something.

In short: people aren't caring about this being women's weightlifting, they're seeing an opportunity to shout :p 

Sadly I can already see it in the comments in Dutch media, where a majority of comments is about how she'll destroy the field (lol) and that's so unfair, let alone the predictable yet rather pathetic comments where people refuse to go with any feminine pronouns, 'because I don't recognize transgenders :)'. Ugh.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

People care about anything they can create drama about. A very tiny portion of the world knows even one weightlifter (and an even smaller portion knows a female weightlifter), but a large part has an opinion about transgenders competing against non-transgender women and a lot of those people don't want to have any discussion about it, they just want to put their fingers in their ears and yell as loud as possible how much Hubbard competing is all bullshit or something.

In short: people aren't caring about this being women's weightlifting, they're seeing an opportunity to shout :p 

Sadly I can already see it in the comments in Dutch media, where a majority of comments is about how she'll destroy the field (lol) and that's so unfair, let alone the predictable yet rather pathetic comments where people refuse to go with any feminine pronouns, 'because I don't recognize transgenders :)'. Ugh.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/why-transgender-athletes-threaten-fairness-in-womens/id1461719225?i=1000522515770

Rather good podcast about it here.

22 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

She should compete with men.......ok, noone has nothing against him being a woman in personal life, but this is discrimination towards women :cry:

I agree, it takes an opportunity away from a biological woman. So sad and unfair! Why won't the feminists speak out about this?!