website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Does all this effect Kuworge's chances? If so, I am also against the move of changing weights just to make the Olympics. If not, I find that a smart move :p 

adding 2 Europeans to the ranking hurt his chance big time.

since there is no eligible weightlifters from Africa there will be one reallocated quota for the best weightlifter (from a NOC with 0 quotas) but I assume that goes to Hungary.

even if BLR, RUS and ARM decide to not use their lone quota here. we still have GEO, IRN, BRA, SYR, TKM, ALG, ESP and AUT as top 8. CZE will take the European quota and that reallocated one is for HUN.

Kuworge goes to Tokyo only if one of these guys get hurt. (assuming BLR and ARM don't send anybody in this weight)

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

adding 2 Europeans to the ranking hurt his chance big time.

since there is no eligible weightlifters from Africa there will be one reallocated quota for the best weightlifter (from a NOC with 0 quotas) but I assume that goes to Hungary.

even if BLR, RUS and ARM decide to not use their lone quota here. we still have GEO, IRN, BRA, SYR, TKM, ALG, ESP and AUT as top 8. CZE will take the European quota and that reallocated one is for HUN.

Kuworge goes to Tokyo only if one of these guys get hurt. (assuming BLR and ARM don't send anybody in this weight)

Damn, that went down quickly. So if someone from BLR or ARM does get sent in this category, Kuworge even needs two or three of these specific athletes to get injured/withdrawn?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Damn, that went down quickly. So if someone from BLR or ARM does get sent in this category, Kuworge even needs two or three of these specific athletes to get injured/withdrawn?

Yes that's true but I have to say both BLR and ARM are likely to NOT send someone in this weight.

this is weightlifting, not table tennis, injuries happen and happen a lot. also you never know with doping disqualifications. it can happen to anybody.

12 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yes that's true but I have to say both BLR and ARM are likely to NOT send someone in this weight.

this is weightlifting, not table tennis, injuries happen and happen a lot. also you never know with doping disqualifications. it can happen to anybody.

That's sad, I wonder if he knew this was possible (wouldn't be surprised if nobody really counted on this at all). But yeah, hoping for another athlete to get injured is sort of cruel, can't really say I hope someone else's Olympic dream will be shattered or something, that would be good for Kuworge but just as much of a tragedy on the other side :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's sad, I wonder if he knew this was possible (wouldn't be surprised if nobody really counted on this at all). But yeah, hoping for another athlete to get injured is sort of cruel, can't really say I hope someone else's Olympic dream will be shattered or something, that would be good for Kuworge but just as much of a tragedy on the other side :p 

I believe he knew, his last attempt in World Juniors was calculated to surpass the Israeli athlete. and if I remember correctly he and his coach were very happy after the last lift (while he secured the gold medal already)

without these 2 Spanish and Austrian weightlifters he was 90% guaranteed an Olympic spot. this is different now.

I totally agree with that bold part, as someone who loves sport I have respect for all athletes around the world (except few cheaters). I can never wish for someone's injury. I feel guilty even thinking about that :d

:VEN Venezuela and :MEX Mexico are also now limited to max 2 weightlifters in each gender

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/06/Number-of-ADRV_10062021.pdf

as for Venezuela

they have 3 female athletes inside the qualification zone , 59, 87 and +87 . now they have to pick 2

on the men's side they were guaranteed in 73 and 96 and might have a chance in 109kg. I assume it's only 73 and 96 now.

Mexico had 4 female quotas 55, 59, 76 and 87, will be a big blow for them. have to give up 2.

they will have 67 and 73 quotas in men's weights. no change here.

This might be the stupidest way to lose a quota if we really miss out in +109, but I think we were expecting all the nonsense from the other weighlifters, Nagy and the Hungarian press were quite pessimistic about his quota chances  after the ECh. But I think they forgot about the potential reallocation of the African quota, that's our last chance. 

there is an interesting thing in the rules, it doesn't say NOCs are allowed to pick whoever they want (in case they have more than enough athletes inside the qualification zone)

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/05/T2020-Revised-QS_Application-Process-FINAL-04052021.pdf

I have a feeling this is NOT correct and NOCs can select their team (for example China with lots of weightlifters in 1st place) but let's pretend that's correct. in this case IWF will select the qualified weighlitfters based on this :

1. the highest ranking

2. the highest ROBI point for individual result (not the total ROBI point)

in this case Li Fabin will be left out from the Chinese squad because his best ROBI point (1171) is lower than other 4 Chinese guys.

by my count these guys are going to the Olympics, but keep in mind this is just imaginary, I also keep Vietnam and Colombia in the list.

since only 75 emoji are allowed I have to make it two posts

61 :INA:VIE:COL:JPN:GEO:BUL:GER:TUR  == :KAZ:PNG:DOM:ITA:MAD

67 :CHN:UZB:COL:TUR:ITA:JPN:FRA:INA == :GEO:MEX:KOR:MAD:SAM

73 :CHN:USA:BUL:VEN:ALB:TUN:JPN:KOR == :ESP:INA:MEX:AUS:MAR

81 :CHN:COL:ITA:DOM:TKM:USA:LAT:GER == :ESP:CHI:TUN:NZL:IND

and the rest

96 :CHN:QAT:COL:GEO:CAN:KOR:VEN:JPN == :CUB:KGZ:ALB:SAM:GHA

109 :ARM:UZB:BLR:RUS:IRI:POL:LAT:KOR == :USA:UKR:TUN:TKM:AUS

+109 :GEO:IRI:BRA:SYR:TKM:ALG:ESP:AUT == :CZE:USA:NZL:TPE:HUN

* There is no eligible weightlifter from Africa in +109kg, so the African quota will go to Hungary

* I heard from Indian users here that Ajay Singh (81kg weightlifter) is suspended for doping but the fact his name is still in the list means maybe that's not correct. also the source I was given (and didn't check it properly at the time ) refers to another athlete in another sport, so I assume he is not banned. but in case he is banned, there is nobody from Asia to grab that quota. from what I can see the next best NOC with no quota in this sport is :IRL !

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/other-sports/nada-provisionally-suspends-rakhi-halder-ajay-thakur-anti-doping-rule-violations/article34283229.ece

again, this information is most probably WRONG ! :d:lol: I highly doubt NOCs can't pick their own team.