website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

5 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Wait, did I get it right? Even if Japan has qualified in other weights, they still get one extra host nation quota?

In gymnastics, it doesn't work like this. For example, each nation is able to qualify up to two rhythmic gymnastics. Japan qualified one gymnast through the world championships, and if they want to have another gymnast, they have to try and qualify through the world cup series. The host nation quota was then reallocated to the next eligible gymnast through the world championships.

What a crazy system in weightlifting.

Japan has 3 quotas guaranteed in each gender. if they wanted more they had to qualify 4 through the ranking. that's what they will do in the men's section.

I think even if they qualify 3 that's like doing nothing, they will remove all Japanese weightlifters from the list and then they can pick 3 as "host"

14 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I think even if they qualify 3 that's like doing nothing, they will remove all Japanese weightlifters from the list and then they can pick 3 as "host"

I can confirm this part. if Japan fails to qualify 4, all of their weightlifters will be removed from the ranking. that will make lots of changes

from the official document

In case the Host Country (Japan) does not qualify 4 quota places (World + Continental Points),athletes from the Host Country (Japan) are removed and the Absolute Ranking is updated

oh well . that was a very sad end for Moradi's Olympic hopes. he lifted 170kg, got 3 white lights, but Jury rejected it. he came back and lifted that again but injured his hand while he was going to drop the weight :cry::cry:

can't remember the last time I was this sad about a sport event. he went through 2 surgeries, tried hard for a year for this. got injured again in training. still came here to make the cut, again injured. this is probably the end of the road for him :cry::cry:

well we have two Olympic Champions in 96kg but none of them will qualify. instead some random guy from Iran is in top 8 without even trying to be there ! isn't that great ?!

well I'm going to finish what I started . these guys are 100% safe

:QAT El-Bakh

:GEO Pliesnoi

:CAN Santavy

:VEN Vallenilla

:SAM Opeloge (Oceania)

most probably to participate

:KOR Yu or Jang

:JPN Yamamoto

:CUB Saez

Tian Tao is 1st the ranking but he is unlikely to go to Tokyo, BLR also has 2 guys in top 8 but still not clear if they use their lone quota in this weight. both KOR and JPN can send someone in this weight but still not a sure thing if they do.

ironically Ali Miri (IRN) is also in top 8 but he isn't even "ready" at the moment. Iran will have to pick between him and Hashemi (109kg) both of them are out of shape. one of them is going to participate just for fun.

Rasulbekov (KGZ) is alive for the Asian quota if both JPN and KOR finish in top 8 (and Iran doesn't pick this weight) Adamus of Poland can change everything if he gets good results in world juniors and grab the European quota.

the ranking website is down once again, so I have no idea about the African weightlifters.

16 hours ago, MHSN said:

well we have two Olympic Champions in 96kg but none of them will qualify. instead some random guy from Iran is in top 8 without even trying to be there ! isn't that great ?!

well I'm going to finish what I started . these guys are 100% safe

:QAT El-Bakh

:GEO Pliesnoi

:CAN Santavy

:VEN Vallenilla

:SAM Opeloge (Oceania)

most probably to participate

:KOR Yu or Jang

:JPN Yamamoto

:CUB Saez

Tian Tao is 1st the ranking but he is unlikely to go to Tokyo, BLR also has 2 guys in top 8 but still not clear if they use their lone quota in this weight. both KOR and JPN can send someone in this weight but still not a sure thing if they do.

ironically Ali Miri (IRN) is also in top 8 but he isn't even "ready" at the moment. Iran will have to pick between him and Hashemi (109kg) both of them are out of shape. one of them is going to participate just for fun.

Rasulbekov (KGZ) is alive for the Asian quota if both JPN and KOR finish in top 8 (and Iran doesn't pick this weight) Adamus of Poland can change everything if he gets good results in world juniors and grab the European quota.

the ranking website is down once again, so I have no idea about the African weightlifters.

By the way what happens to host quota if Japan already qualifies in top 8? Also how does tripartite commission quota is selected, are there any criteria?

12 minutes ago, merlinsbeard said:

By the way what happens to host quota if Japan already qualifies in top 8? Also how does tripartite commission quota is selected, are there any criteria?

the honest answer is "I don't know" !

the official document says

unused Host Country place(s) will be reallocated by the IWF, priority given to next highest ranked NOCs according to the IWF Absolute Ranking not represented yet.

how do you read that ? to me that says they are going to give those 4 unused host quotas to the countries with no qualified weightlifters.

I don't know about the wild cards, they made a long list of "weaker" countries and the tripartite quotas will go to them. if they can't find 3 eligible weightlifters for each gender the above about the host quotas will happen again.

this is the list of eligible NOCs

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2019/08/Annex-2-List-of-eligible-NOCs-Invitation-Places-Tokyo-2020.pdf

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

the honest answer is "I don't know" !

the official document says

how do you read that ? to me that says they are going to give those 4 unused host quotas to the countries with no qualified weightlifters.

I don't know about the wild cards, they made a long list of "weaker" countries and the tripartite quotas will go to them. if they can't find 3 eligible weightlifters for each gender the above about the host quotas will happen again.

this is the list of eligible NOCs

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2019/08/Annex-2-List-of-eligible-NOCs-Invitation-Places-Tokyo-2020.pdf

I think your understanding and explanation are correct, this is what I understand from the wording in the official document as well. Thanks for the reply.

109kg

the following guys are 100% safe

:UZB Djuraev

:UKR Chumak

:POL Michalski

:LAT Plesnieks (at least Europe)

:USA Kitts (Pan America)

:AUS Lydement (Oceania)

:TUN Bacha (Africa)

almost safe

:RUS Naniev or Bochkov

I believe Russia will use its lone quota here. but I have absolutely no idea about Armenia and Belarus. :ARM Martirosyan and :BLR Aramnau are safe in the ranking but their NOCs are limited to 1. Martirosyan is the current WR holder but bombing out at the Europeans and that car accident changes his status. he is still favorite to go.

:BUL Hristov will participate at the Junior Worlds, to improve his points. even though I believe he is already safe (since China is not going to pick Yang Zhe) If Hristov finishes in top 8, then :ESP Ruiz will qualify too

:IRI Hashemi is currently in top 8, after what happened in 96kg he is likely to go to Tokyo but still nothing is clear.

:KOR currently has 2 weightlifters for the Asian quota but if they move up 1 or 2 positions they will be in top 8 making :JPN Mochida the Asian qualifier. if I was Japan I would pick Mochida over 96kg guy but he is not eligible yet.

and the last one +109kg

100% safe

:GEO Talakhadze

:IRI Davoudi

:BRA Reis

:SYR Assad

:TKM Toychyyev

:ALG Bidani

:USA Wilkes (Pan America)

:NZL Liti (Oceania)

this weight is hard to predict because we have two 109kg weightlifters who can qualify here ! :ESP Ruiz and :AUT Martirosjan. Ruiz has a good chance to qualify in his own weight but Martirosjan (who participated today but withdrew from CJ) can play dirty and qualifies somewhere else and grabs someone else's rightful place.

we also have uncertainties about ARM and BLR . they both have 1 quota and have guys in other weights.

:CZE Orsag will qualify if only one of those NOCs above doesn't pick this weight. KOR and JPN are next in line but I believe they are not going to pick this weight. :HUN Nagy also has to wait for others and their selections.

if both JPN and KOR finish in top 8 or decline the quota (very likely) TPE is next in line for the Asian spot.

nobody is eligible for the African quota. that one will be reallocated.