website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

20 minutes ago, MHSN said:

OK the website is up and running. only minor change for 73kg ranking.

lots of guys in this weight will participate at the World Juniors, but looking at the points gap these guys are 100% safe now

:USA Cummings (Top 8)

:VEN Mayora (Top 8)

:ALB Calja (Top 8)

:TUN Ben Hnia (Top 8)

:MEX Cardenas (Pan America)

:AUS Wakeling (Oceania)

:MAR Moum (Africa)

I believe these guys will be there too

:CHN Shi

:BUL Andreev

:JPN Miyamoto

:KOR Won

Sanchez (ESP) is correctly 10th and the best ranked European but Martin Rubu (MDA) can take his place after the World Juniors

if PRK withdraws and the ranking doesn't change Won will be in Top 8 and that opens the door for Abdullah (INA) and Meredov (TKM) for the Asian quota. both of them will participate at the Juniors Worlds

Do you think Daniyar İsmayilov will be able to take a quota?

4 hours ago, merlinsbeard said:

Do you think Daniyar İsmayilov will be able to take a quota?

I know he has the some problem as our 96kg weightlifter, bombed out in one of the periods and even collecting big poitns in other windows couldn't bring him to the qualification zone.

his chance is very slim, very very slim. he qualifies only if all European above him finish in top 8. if we remove PRK, UZB (they will pick other weights), RUS. in the new ranking ESP is 9th, MDA is 10th and GER is 11th. you need 3 guys above them to withdraw so all 3 of them can finish in top 8. I just don't see that happening.

81kg

both guys participating at this event didn't improve their points. and World Juniors won't change the ranking

I believe the followings are 100%safe

:ITA Pizzolato (Top 8)

:DOM Bonnat (Top 8)

:TKM Rejepov (Top 8)

:USA Maurus (Top 8)

:LAT Suharevs (Top 8)

:GER Muller (Top 8)

:ESP Mata (Top 8 or Europe)

:TUN Bahloul (Africa)

These guys most probably will go too

:NZL McTaggart (Oceania)

:CHN Lyu

I didn't put McTaggart in the safe zone only because a guy from Australia (who also qualifies at 73kg) is above him. but I think the Australian will pick 73 and McTaggart will qualify at 81 of course if NZL accepts the quota.

:CHI Mendez is almost safe too. but a guy from Cuba who will participate at 89kg tonight can take his place but he most probably picks 96kg (and not 81kg) I will update this section after knowing his results tonight. Mendez most probably will join the "safe list" tonight

only 2 quotas are left. Rodallegas of Colombia will take one of them if they are not suspended. if they are by any chance, ESP will be in top 8 and the European quota goes to Beytula (BUL) but we heard from the Bulgarian users that he is out of the picture. so :ALB Qerimaj qualifies in that case.

and from what I see nobody is going to take the Asian quota ! UZB will send 2 medal contenders in 67 and 109. Ajay Singh (IND) is suspended for doping, PRK is withdrawing, JPN has 6 better weightlifters in other weights, the Iranian guy Soltani injured himself badly at the Asian Champs (he wouldn't be selected anyway), Iraq is facing suspension. the only possibility is Ulanov (KAZ), but they also can send only 1 male weightlifter and probably Igor Son in 61kg has a better chance.

54 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I know he has the some problem as our 96kg weightlifter, bombed out in one of the periods and even collecting big poitns in other windows couldn't bring him to the qualification zone.

his chance is very slim, very very slim. he qualifies only if all European above him finish in top 8. if we remove PRK, UZB (they will pick other weights), RUS. in the new ranking ESP is 9th, MDA is 10th and GER is 11th. you need 3 guys above them to withdraw so all 3 of them can finish in top 8. I just don't see that happening.

That’s saddening, I do not understand why  don’t they just qualify the weightlifters with best record. Thank you for the comment though

as I said so many times, to have a good idea you have to follow all 7 weights but still I try to make a list for women. but that's far from being accurate

take a look at 55kg, I think these girls are safe

:PHI Diaz

:UZB Nabieva

:MEX Lopez

:AUS Yamasaki (Oceania)

:CAN Leblanc-Bazinet (Pan America)

:TKM Shermetova

uncertain

:CHN Liao (CHN has lots of options)

:ECU Escobar (she is eligible for both 55kg and 59kg and recently participated in both!)

:KAZ Chinshanlo (simply bcz KAZ has 1 quota to use, don't know if they have other options)

:KOR Ham (not sure if KOR has lots of options but she will take the Asian quota if KOR wants it)

European and African quotas are still up for grab :UKR Konotop has a very good chance to qualify. she will participate at the Juniors Worlds.

-----------------------

and 59kg

only 3 girls look 100% safe at least from my quick look

:TPE Kuo

:GBR Smith (at least Europe)

:TUN Ramhouni

uncertain

:ECU Escobar (same as above)

:SOL Wini (up to Australian 55kg girl)

:JPN Ando (if JPN doesn't qualify more than 3, they will use the host quotas)

I remove Koha (LAT) we know her story. COL, ROU, VIE all have a weightlifter high in the ranking. (CHN too but it's a sure thing they don't use this weight.)

that was a nice battle between girls from COL, VEN and MEX last night, Mexican girls lifted more but the girl from Colombia will outrank the rest. I think all 3 of them will qualify at the end but that's not a sure thing

Tchakounte (FRA) also has a good chance if Zoe Smith finishes in top 8 which I believe she will

On 10/05/2021 at 15:07, MHSN said:

startlist for the Colombia event

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/05/START_BOOK_VERIFICACIÓN_FINAL.pdf

I have to say this list is NOT final, for example Iran has only one weightlifter traveling to Colombia while 4 are listed here.

there is NOBODY from Oceania in the list. so those guys I listed before are qualified for Tokyo if they don't reject the quota

Where can I find the results for this event?

15 minutes ago, MHSN said:

nowhere ! :d but I have them all. (took a screenshot from the live stream)

which weight do you want ?

Women 59kg. i`m trying to estimate the chances of Sabine Kusterer to qualify

48 minutes ago, MHSN said:

:JPN Ando (if JPN doesn't qualify more than 3, they will use the host quotas)

Wait, did I get it right? Even if Japan has qualified in other weights, they still get one extra host nation quota?

In gymnastics, it doesn't work like this. For example, each nation is able to qualify up to two rhythmic gymnastics. Japan qualified one gymnast through the world championships, and if they want to have another gymnast, they have to try and qualify through the world cup series. The host nation quota was then reallocated to the next eligible gymnast through the world championships.

What a crazy system in weightlifting.