website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

12 minutes ago, MHSN said:

How the hell they could make such a BIG change at this point ? the worst part is "subject to participation in one (1) event in the same Olympic category"

which means lots of weightlifters who can't qualify in their own weights can easily qualify in another weight just to have "fun" in Tokyo and deny someone else's right to participate

btw all of my calculations mean nothing now :thumbdown: this will help some of Iranian weightlifters but doesn't help those who matter. Moradi and Rostami are still out. (Rostami is a jerk though)

It's two months and half to Olympics, I believe that IWF will make at least two more changes before deadline, or maybe even after... :d:wacko: 

5 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Not a surprise, and not a surprise that this is the sport and weight class where this happens.

This will be a big story in the US given that trans women competing in sports is apparently the most important political issue of the decade in America. Nevermind the pandemic.

On 04/05/2021 at 18:20, MHSN said:

Kianoush Rostami claims he was told by IWF high rank officials (to be accurate IWF general secretory) that they may count his ranking points from Switzerland event from the second window !

in case you don't know the story, he only registered for one event for the 2nd qualification window and he bombed out at the 2019 Worlds. when he found out what a dumb mistake he did he had no time to register in any other competition before the end of the 2nd window . there was only one event left in the IWF calendar in Switzerland, despite not registering for the competition, he traveled to Switzerland and the organizers let him lift the weights but didn't award him the medal and his results were unofficial.

if they count that result he will qualify easily. but I highly doubt it. this is clearly breaking the rules.

This happened to Fernando Reis at the Pan Am Championships once. He had to participate at the tournament to be able to participate at Worlds, but the president of the Brazilian federation didn't register him, so he had to go to the event by his own. He received a formal document stating that he competed there and his results were valid, though the didn't receive any medals as he wasn't eligible to. And, most importantly, he was able to compete at Worlds after that.

30 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This happened to Fernando Reis at the Pan Am Championships once. He had to participate at the tournament to be able to participate at Worlds, but the president of the Brazilian federation didn't register him, so he had to go to the event by his own. He received a formal document stating that he competed there and his results were valid, though the didn't receive any medals as he wasn't eligible to. And, most importantly, he was able to compete at Worlds after that.

that's interesting, I didn't know you have to participate at your continental Champs to be able to go to the worlds. I think it's something about the doping control, I mean you have to pass certain amount of tests to be eligible. it's not about participating or not. (of course I might be wrong)

but this is the Olympics, if they count those points he will qualify instead of someone else and that "someone else" is going to take it to the court. because this is clearly violating the rules.

PS: do you know who will be that "someone else" in case Rostami jumps in top 8 ? Brazil :d (because in that case Cuba will be out of top 8 and will occupy the continental quota) even though I just heard some news that Belarus is not sure about "not using" 96kg for their only quota.

BUT with this new change, 3 other Iranian weightlifters are already ahead of Rostami and Moradi, I know Iranian coaches are "thinking" about it in case those 2 can't make it.

isn't this funny ? this is the weirdest qualification system ever. Rostami and Moradi (both Olympic Champions) tried really hard to qualify and they are still losing to 3 guys who didn't even try to qualify :lol:

and another note. with this new change, North Korea can still qualify lots of weightlifters for Tokyo, in case the big Kim changes his mind later. :d

9 hours ago, Dragon said:

Can anyone confirm that the IWF changed their qualifying method today?

I hear some Spanish people angry that Lidia Valentina does not qualify anymore

I think this is not related to the new change. actually these changes give her a new life. she was out of the Olympics with the old rules !

it seems she went to the European Championships but for whatever reason didn't participate, probably didn't know just going to the event as a tourist is not enough lol and she has to register and make weight. (then you can withdraw)

under the old rules it was mandatory to participate in at least one event in 2021 and she missed her only chance. but now with the new rules. that's not mandatory anymore.

46 minutes ago, MHSN said:

and another note. with this new change, North Korea can still qualify lots of weightlifters for Tokyo, in case the big Kim changes his mind later. :d

To be fair, if North Korea does compete one of the things they will demand is to let some of their weightlifters to compete.

52 minutes ago, MHSN said:

PS: do you know who will be that "someone else" in case Rostami jumps in top 8 ? Brazil :d

LOL, talk about bad luck for Mateus Gregório. The way I see it -- i.e., assuming things I'm maybe not supposed to assume -- it would not be a huge loss to our delegation, unless lots and lots of lifters aren't allowed to compete, because Gregório finished only fourth at the latest Pan Am Champs. Still, the biggest and most accessed news site in Brazil published recent news about Gregório getting important points for the Olympics race, so this might mean his quota is kind of important for our delegation. I don't know for sure.

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

No no no , North Corea mustn't come back. And this stupid rule give us the chance only for 1+1 (because Dekha may not qualify ???)

12 hours ago, MHSN said:

I think this is not related to the new change. actually these changes give her a new life. she was out of the Olympics with the old rules !

it seems she went to the European Championships but for whatever reason didn't participate, probably didn't know just going to the event as a tourist is not enough lol and she has to register and make weight. (then you can withdraw)

under the old rules it was mandatory to participate in at least one event in 2021 and she missed her only chance. but now with the new rules. that's not mandatory anymore.

She didn't went to the Europeans cause she was stomach-sick and the airport wouldn't let her fly with fever. But she was going to go to ¿Ecuador? to the Iberoamerican Championships to compite in the mandatory event for 2021.