website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

2 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

His chances are over, he seemed to have withdrawn from world juniors

Though I don’t think he will lift 320 kg to qualify for Tokyo, his Twitter feed suggests he will take part in World Juniors. 

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

Though I don’t think he will lift 320 kg to qualify for Tokyo, his Twitter feed suggests he will take part in World Juniors. 

I read a report in toi that he wanted to train in US for 3 months with Mirabai but he didn't get the visa  .Anyhow even if he's participating 320kg will be too much. 

Kianoush Rostami claims he was told by IWF high rank officials (to be accurate IWF general secretory) that they may count his ranking points from Switzerland event from the second window !

in case you don't know the story, he only registered for one event for the 2nd qualification window and he bombed out at the 2019 Worlds. when he found out what a dumb mistake he did he had no time to register in any other competition before the end of the 2nd window . there was only one event left in the IWF calendar in Switzerland, despite not registering for the competition, he traveled to Switzerland and the organizers let him lift the weights but didn't award him the medal and his results were unofficial.

if they count that result he will qualify easily. but I highly doubt it. this is clearly breaking the rules.

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

Can anyone confirm that the IWF changed their qualifying method today?

I hear some Spanish people angry that Lidia Valentina does not qualify anymore

Yes, just saw they have updated the qualification document. Now, you need only 4 participations and none of them have to be in 3rd period. Your final ranking is best results from period 1 and 2 and next 2 best results. This will change the qualification rankings a lot. 

How the hell they could make such a BIG change at this point ? the worst part is "subject to participation in one (1) event in the same Olympic category"

which means lots of weightlifters who can't qualify in their own weights can easily qualify in another weight just to have "fun" in Tokyo and deny someone else's right to participate

btw all of my calculations mean nothing now :thumbdown: this will help some of Iranian weightlifters but doesn't help those who matter. Moradi and Rostami are still out. (Rostami is a jerk though)

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

The IWF and the Boxing taskforce are competing to see who can run the worst qualification system. Every time I think one of them does something so stupid that they can’t be topped, they get topped.

Dont forget WKF, FIBA and WS :wall: