website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

14 minutes ago, Laraja said:

The name of this athlete from colombia is very funny for us haha.

Segura means safe in portuguese. So she is segura to qualify, but not in fact because colombia might be banned :lol:

@MHSNany chance of medal for Rosa?

hmm, not much, she didn't medal in the Pan-American Champs as well and if we consider the PBs, there are 3-4 girls way ahead of her. and then 4-5 more in the same level of her. so I say the chance is slim but not completely impossible. weird things happen sometimes. weightlifters make dumb mistakes and bomb out. but she needs to lift "at least" something around 190kg (10kg better than her PB) to stand a chance.

14 hours ago, Dunadan said:

if this document is correct, at D 2. Per Medal Event

"The highest-ranked athlete from the IWF Absolute Ranking from an NOC (one per continent = 5) not otherwise represented in the bodyweight category shall earn an individual quota place"

Thanks, that's interesting indeed. Since under D.1 in the same document it reads "The highest-ranked athlete from the IWF Absolute Ranking from an NOC (one per continent) not otherwise represented shall earn an individual quota place" - the bodyweight category is not mentioned here. If one stops reading after D.1, it'd tend to say that only NOCs are eligible which are not represented otherwise in Weightlifting. ;) Weird.

@Griff88 I just checked about the Indonesian lifter in 61kg, he's safely qualified for Tokyo 2020 Olympics. 

I don't think he needs to participate in any event in extended period because I didn't find it anywhere in the PDF. If you find tell me. 

how many chances are there that China would eventually not show up in the men's -81kg in Tokyo?

I mean, they have to choose among 4 weight classes...given their advantage over the closest rivals, -61, -67 and -73 are almost a lock, I guess...

but what about no.4? is it gonna be -81kg or a heavier class? :mumble:

you know...Italy might have a little interest in that...:p :lol:

73kg ranking

1. :CHN Shi - 5015

2. :USA Cummings - 4185

3. :BUL Andreev - 4173 (NOC is limited to 2)

4. :VEN Mayora - 4076

5. :ALB Calja - 3984 (NOC is limited to 2)

- :PRK O - 3958 (no)

6. :JPN Miyamoto - 3807

7. :TUN Ben Hnia - 3801 (Africa)

8. :ESP Sanchez - 3624

9. :MDA Robu - 3580 (NOC is limited to 2)

- :RUS Petrov - 3562 (5 events) (NOC is limited to 1)

10. :GER Lang - 3551 (also eligible for 81kg)

- :UZB Yokubov - 3536 (no)

11. :INA Abdullah - 3532

12. :TKM Meredov - 3354

13. :TUR Ismayilov - 3011 (NOC is limited to 2)

14. :KOR Won - 3001

15. :MEX Cardenas - 2940

- :COL Sandoval - 2803 (no) (COL with 3 doping cases)

* Won of KOR can still easily make it to top 8 if he participates in Colombia. (if he registered already) he bombed out in Asia

* European Champion Ismayilov is in trouble because he bombed out in his first period tries. he still has a slim chance to qualify as the best European Weightlifters if few things happen in his favor.

* BUL has max 2 quotas (in edge of being limited to 1 with 19 cases) and has 3 decent weightlifters at 61, 73 and 109, I have no idea how they are going to select these 2. but for now I assume Andreev is one of them.

:CHN:USA:BUL:VEN:ALB:JPN:TUN:ESP == :MDA:INA:MEX:AUS?

If TUN stays in top 8, which I believe he will. the next best African in the list is from Morocco, but he participated in only 4 events and "needs" to participate in 1 more (beside African Champs) to become eligible. not sure if guys in Morocco knew this and registed him for Colombia. there is no other guy from Africa in the ranking with more than 2 or 3 events. very possible this quota gets re-allocated . don't know how they are going to do that !

3 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

@Griff88 I just checked about the Indonesian lifter in 61kg, he's safely qualified for Tokyo 2020 Olympics. 

I don't think he needs to participate in any event in extended period because I didn't find it anywhere in the PDF. If you find tell me. 

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2020/05/FINAL-2020-05-26-Tokyo-2020-Revised-Qualification-system-Weightlifting-eng.pdf

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2020/05/Tokyo-2020_Qualification-System_Modification-Guidelines.pdf

I think that's clear enough - I believe @MHSN also read those as references

81kg ranking

I didn't calculate the points for top 4-5 since they are obviously safe

1. :CHN Lyu or Li

2. :COL Rodallegas (COL with 3 doping cases)

3. :DOM Bonnat

4. :ITA Pizzolato

5. :TKM Rejepov - 3809

6. :USA Maurus - 3729

7. :LAT Suharevs - 3724

8. :GER Muller - 3690

9. :ESP Mata - 3665

- :BUL Beytula - 3605 (NOC is limited to 2)

10. :ALB Qerimaj - 3555 (NOC is limited to 2)

11. :CHI Mendez - 3496

- :CUB Saez - 3368 (needs one more event at 81kg, also eligible for 96kg)

- :UZB Toshtemirov - 3318 (NOC is limited to 2)

12. :POL Zwarycz - 3107

I had hard time to find the next best Asian Weightlifter, the next guys are from UZB, KAZ, IRI, IRQ and none of them are going to use this quota, IND didn't send Ajay Singh here. he just had to participate to qualify !!!! Won of KOR can take it but he is a 73kg weightlifter and I think KOR will have 4 weightlifters much better in other weights. Kasai of JPN who bombed out in Asia still needs one more event to complete his 6 events.

so right now nobody from Asia is eligible for that continental quota !

:CHN:COL:DOM:ITA:TKM:USA:LAT:GER == :ESP:CHI:TUN:NZL ???

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

81kg ranking

I didn't calculate the points for top 4-5 since they are obviously safe

1. :CHN Lyu or Li

2. :COL Rodallegas (COL with 3 doping cases)

3. :DOM Bonnat

4. :ITA Pizzolato

5. :TKM Rejepov - 3809

6. :USA Maurus - 3729

7. :LAT Suharevs - 3724

8. :GER Muller - 3690

9. :ESP Mata - 3665

- :BUL Beytula - 3605 (NOC is limited to 2)

10. :ALB Qerimaj - 3555 (NOC is limited to 2)

11. :CHI Mendez - 3496

- :CUB Saez - 3368 (needs one more event at 81kg, also eligible for 96kg)

- :UZB Toshtemirov - 3318 (NOC is limited to 2)

12. :POL Zwarycz - 3107

I had hard time to find the next best Asian Weightlifter, the next guys are from UZB, KAZ, IRI, IRQ and none of them are going to use this quota, IND didn't send Ajay Singh here. he just had to participate to qualify !!!! Won of KOR can take it but he is a 73kg weightlifter and I think KOR will have 4 weightlifters much better in other weights. Kasai of JPN who bombed out in Asia still needs one more event to complete his 6 events.

so right now nobody from Asia is eligible for that continental quota !

:CHN:COL:DOM:ITA:TKM:USA:LAT:GER == :ESP:CHI:TUN:NZL ???

Even I was surprised to see no Ajay Singh here. Till last year, our federation was trying to get Ajay Singh in various tournaments because they hoped that he would get Asian quota here but now nothing. It could mean either Ajay Singh is injured or suspected of doping.