website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

18 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Do you know if there is a simulator somewhere (the IWF sort of sucks?)

I don't know :dunno: and it's kind of impossible because you have to consider SO MANY things. some countries are limited to 1 or 2. some injuries, some coach decisions etc.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The IWF is such a fucking mess. It’s getting harder to see a future in the Olympics for this sport. Latest drama: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1099466/weightlifting-plan-b-rift

Basically, many members of the IWF want to revert to the old qualification system, and do away with the doping punishments. So they’ve actually learned a grand total of nothing from the last two years or so. I honestly struggled to read this article because of how angry it made me.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

33 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The IWF is such a fucking mess. It’s getting harder to see a future in the Olympics for this sport. Latest drama: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1099466/weightlifting-plan-b-rift

Basically, many members of the IWF want to revert to the old qualification system, and do away with the doping punishments. So they’ve actually learned a grand total of nothing from the last two years or so. I honestly struggled to read this article because of how angry it made me.

Just throw away this sport from Olympics already and we would have way more free quotas for other sports.

44 minutes ago, rybak said:

Just throw away this sport from Olympics already and we would have way more free quotas for other sports.

Well, if it's because nothing's being done, athletics is just as tainted and Coe just letting all English speaking world get away with it, while punishing other countries.

UCI is also a huge joke in its battle against doping since the early 90's, so just saying, it's all of these world bodies or rather none.

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

Well, if it's because nothing's being done, athletics is just as tainted and Coe just letting all English speaking world get away with it, while punishing other countries.

UCI is also a huge joke in its battle against doping since the early 90's, so just saying, it's all of these world bodies or rather none.

Welcome to the world, where Western Superpowers try to exclude sports they do poorly like weightlifting, wrestling, boxing, rhythmic gymnastic and do nothing with others which have equal problems.

This qualification system is terrible, athletes can miss the Olympics only because they were injured a year ago, also this closes the doors for the new generation, there is no chance for a 20 years old weightlifter who just becomes good recently.

BUT they can't change it in middle of the qualification, that's not fair. they had to consider everything before inventing such a weird, complicated and terrible system. obviously they didn't.

There is a lot of room for improvement in weightlifting and boxing but excluding it will be bad on the part of athlethes. Gymnastics has seen cases of sexual abuse regularly which is as big a issue as doping never saw any federation getting banned for not ensuring proper steps were taken. 

As far as free quotas is considered there is a lot of them which can be cut in many events like men's  football and  rowing for example .

Accusations flying all over the place after an anonymous email was sent out to national federations and to various other people involved im international weightlifting. An emergency meeting of the IWF Executive Board will be held tomorrow, and damn would I love to be a fly on tie wall for that meeting. Here is ITG’s write up about the absolute mess: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1099525/weightlifting-toxic-email-coffa

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela