website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

IWF finally updated its Olympic ranking with some recent results. the only remaining events are 3 in Cuba, USA and Colombia (Cuba and USA events are already done, I don't have their results though) + continental championships

checking the results @heywoodu favorite athlete Om Yun-Chol still needs 2 more results to qualify. since the start of COVID-19 outbreak PRK didn't participate anywhere. even if PRK participates at the continental championships, Om still needs one more result. surely PRK didn't send a team to USA, did he participate in Cuba ? or has plans for Colombia event ? if not he is 100% out of the Olympics. he doesn't need anything special. just has to participate and lift something mediocre.

I can't take that man, this weightlifting already will miss like half of the best in the world because of those dumb rules where even 1 athlete per nation per event is not possible, missing Om is going to be too much :hairpull: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, Prashanth said:

So PRK is in danger of qualifying a weightlifting team?

all of PRK notable weightlifters already participated in 5 events and all of them only need to register in another event and participated at weight-in, they don't have to lift anything. I brought up Om because he is the only one needing 2 ! I assume their plan was to send the whole team to the Asian Championships to finish the qualification.

but PRK didn't send a team to the boxing AQT, I think they have a policy of not going anywhere since the start of virus. in that case they will miss the Olympics completely. but of course that's just a guess. they may send a team to one of continental championships and qualify a full team.

speaking of continental champs, now African Champs is postponed too. makes it harder for Asian weightlifters to find an event to participate.

@Benolympique link for what ? ranking ??

https://www.iwf.net/qualif/menu/

31 minutes ago, MHSN said:

speaking of continental champs, now African Champs is postponed too. makes it harder for Asian weightlifters to find an event to participate.

If one more continent postpones it (and all three are past April 30th) I imagine IWF will be forced to change their qualification rules. Possibly five events with this qualification period being optional.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

If one more continent postpones it (and all three are past April 30th) I imagine IWF will be forced to change their qualification rules. Possibly five events with this qualification period being optional.

I'm not sure if that's possible to make such big change. I think extending the deadline is probably more possible.

btw IWF also uploaded Cuban tournament results, no North Korea as expected. Colombia is the last chance for Om

• 2 months later...

Finally IWF published the new qualification system

https://www.iwf.net/2020/05/29/ioc-approves-revised-weightlifting-olympic-qualification-system-tokyo-2020/

no revolutionary change, they just added a new period, 3.B ! from October 2020 to April 2021. and all weightlifters (even those who fulfilled 6 required participations) have to participate in at least one event in this new period.

This document by IWF explains few other things about this very complicated qualification system

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2020/05/T2020-QS_Application-Process.pdf

for example it says in case NOCs qualify more than what they can, it won't be up to them to decide, but IWF will pick the best ranked athletes, for example right now IWF would pick Shi Zhiyong, Li Dayin, Tian Tao and Chen Lijun for China men's team. Li Fabin (61kg) would miss the Games, but somewhere else in that document it says

In case an athlete in the Qualification Ranking List becomes unable to participate (by injury, suspension, etc.), the Member Federation shall inform the IWF by 30 April 2021 in order for that athlete to be withdrawn from the Qualification process.

to me it means countries can make changes by reporting their athletes as injured or something for example if China wants to send Li Fabin (instead of let's say Tian Tao) they can simply write to IWF that Tian is injured and should be removed from the list.

24 minutes ago, MHSN said:

This document by IWF explains few other things about this very complicated qualification system

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2020/05/T2020-QS_Application-Process.pdf

for example it says in case NOCs qualify more than what they can, it won't be up to them to decide, but IWF will pick the best ranked athletes, for example right now IWF would pick Shi Zhiyong, Li Dayin, Tian Tao and Chen Lijun for China men's team. Li Fabin (61kg) would miss the Games, but somewhere else in that document it says

to me it means countries can make changes by reporting their athletes as injured or something for example if China wants to send Li Fabin (instead of let's say Tian Tao) they can simply write to IWF that Tian is injured and should be removed from the list.

Do you know if there is a simulator somewhere (the IWF sort of sucks?)