website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics PAGU American Championships 2021

Totallympics

36 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Does Guimaraes have any relation with Brazil? :mumble:

I believe his father is a Brazilian. He went to the US to work as a coach and decided to live there.

EDIT: Yes, I was right. Besides, I found a newspaper article with very nasty charges against him. Ouch. I'm curious about the results of the investigation.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2021 at 20:52, thiago_simoes said:

:BRA Rebeca Andrade is the clear favorite here, but since everybody else from Brazil but Flávia Saraiva is also eligible for the quota, only a major upset would prevent Brazil from obtaining one of the quotas.

It will be tragic if Jade or Lorrane get the quota instead of Rebeca.

On 14/05/2021 at 18:52, thiago_simoes said:

en's Olympic quotas:
:USA 95% chance
:COL 40% chance
:CHI 40% chance
:BRA 10% chance

I’d give :MEX De Luna a 25% if he’s in full shape

Still it will be a hard battle between :CHI Gonzalez & the returning :COL Calvo, who I think was and still is judges favorite.

19 hours ago, mrv86 said:

I’d give :MEX De Luna a 25% if he’s in full shape

Still it will be a hard battle between :CHI Gonzalez & the returning :COL Calvo, who I think was and still is judges favorite.

He scored 77.350 at the 2019 Universiade and 74.865 at the 2019 World Championships. I strongly believe the qualifying scores will be at least over 80, maybe even in the 82-84 range.

8 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

He scored 77.350 at the 2019 Universiade and 74.865 at the 2019 World Championships. I strongly believe the qualifying scores will be at least over 80, maybe even in the 82-84 range.

I agree with the scores needed to qualify, they’ll be at least 82; however he could sneak in and profit of an error from other competitors.

39 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I agree with the scores needed to qualify, they’ll be at least 82; however he could sneak in and profit of an error from other competitors.

That's an optimistic way of seeing things. :p:d The pommel horse is his worst event, but if he scores around 13, who knows? It might be enough for him to go over 80 if he has a solid performance in the other apparatus. Since both Gonzalez and Calvo haven't performed in the all-around for a very long time, who knows what could happen, right? I believe Brazil expects Diogo Soares to score around 80-82. I don't see many gymnasts with enough potential to reach a score higher than 82, so let's wait and see.

Reports from the women's training sessions at the Pan Am Championships:

Mexico is looking much better than I anticipated. They can seriously fight for one of the Olympic quotas.

Argentina once again was terrible on the balance beam. Everybody fell at least once. Magistrati is not a lock for the second quota, unfortunately.

Guatemala looks promising. Execution is all over the place, but she has potential.

Costa Rica is a big surprise. I believe one of the girls could even win a medal here.

Brazil is very strong and I'm both happy to see the girls are doing well, but sad because we lost our chance to qualify a full team.