website statistics

Supporting Small and Lesser Known Nations at the 2020 Summer Olympics

This thread is all about throwing some good ole’ Totallympics support behind smaller and lesser known nations competing at the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. Below you can find the suggested rules/guidelines for this thread.

What determines if a nation is small and/or lesser known? For the purpose of this thread, we will support countries without an active user on Totallympics, that are also on the list of nations eligible for Tripartie Invitation places. Of course, users are welcome to propose other nations they think fit the criteria as well.

How should a user choose a nation(s) to support? I think it would be okay for each user to choose two nations they’d like to support, so long as there’s enough nations left for other users who want to participate in the thread. Perhaps it would be wise indicate a first preference and second preference when choosing the nations you wish to support. Of course, users are welcome to support only a single nation as well. There will be a list kept on the first post of this thread to help keep the thread organized as to which user is supporting which nation. 

What should users post as a supporter of a nation? That’s mainly up to the user. Some suggestions would be some background info about your country, perhaps the history of your country at the Olympic Games, articles and other fun/interesting info about the athletes participating at the Games, updates/reminders/results for the participating athletes, various multimedia (athlete/delegation social media posts, photos, etc.), and any other information of interest.

If any other issues or clarifications about the thread are needed, they’ll be added to this post if necessary.

So with all that said, go ahead and break out your pom poms, signs, posters, boomsticks, confetti cannons, and other necessary items to support the small and lesser known nations at the 2020 Summer Olympic Games!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

A list of nations eligible for Tripartite places can be found here.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, hckošice said:

May I support :ECU ? I know they are not small and tripartite country but I am going to follow their participation anyway so just let you know I am going to do it here anyway :lol:

How’d I know you’d ask that? :p

I think because your support for Ecuador is already so strong, and because they don’t really fit the small/lesser known criteria, this perhaps isn’t the right thread for that support. Maybe it’s time to open a National thread for Ecuador?

13 minutes ago, hckošice said:

for the second pick, I´ll pick :NCA just like I did for Rio

That will absolutely work. I’ll add that to the first post when we get a few more users involved.

I guess I can do :SRI 

Currently team size is 6 athletes.

Badminton: 1

Equestrian: 1

Gymnastics (artistic): 1

Shooting: 1

Swimming: 2

Athletes in process of qualifying:

100m men: Athlete currently has a PB of 10.09, just a few spots out of qualifying through world rankings

High jump men: Ranked 49th. I really feel for him, because he is currently studying in the USA with a scholarship, which means he cannot compete in the bigger events like the Diamond League without jeopardizing his scholarship. His PB of 2.30 is higher than the last 4 ranked jumpers in the rankings. 

3000m steelpechase women: Currently in qualification position.

Judo: Possible wild card 

Weightlifting: Possible wild card