website statistics

Sprint Canoeing ECA European Championships 2021

Totallympics

Good news for Kopasz, Varga decided to focus on K2 at the ECh. The Hungarian team for the European Championships:

men
K-1 200 m: Tótka Sándor
K-1 500 m: Kopasz Bálint
K-1 1000 m: Kopasz
K-1 5000 m: Noé Bálint
K-2 200 m: Balaska Márk, Csizmadia Kolos
K-2 500 m: Noé B., Kulifai Tamás
K-2 1000 m: Béke Kornél, Varga Ádám
K-4 500 m: Kuli István, Molnár Péter, Nádas Bence, Tótka
K-4 1000 m: Noé B., Gál Péter, Dombvári Bence, Kulifai
C-1 200 m: Korisánszky Dávid
C-1 500 m: Kiss Balázs
C-1 1000 m: Kiss B.
C-1 5000 m: Fodor Nicholas
C-2 200 m: Korisánszky, Takács Mihály
C-2 500 m: Hajdu Jonatán, Fekete Ádám
C-2 1000 m: Hajdu, Fekete

women
K-1 200 m: Lucz Dóra
K-1 500 m: Kozák Danuta
K-1 1000 m: Gazsó Alida Dóra
K-1 5000 m: Bodonyi Dóra
K-2 200 m: Lucz Anna, Kiss Blanka
K-2 500 m: Kozák, Bodonyi
K-2 1000 m: Csipes Tamara, Medveczky Erika
K-4 500 m: Lucz D., Csipes, Kárász Anna, Bodonyi
C-1 200 m: Takács Kincső
C-1 500 m: Balla Virág
C-1 5000 m: Horányi Dóra
C-2 200 m: Balla, Takács
C-2 500 m: Balla, Takács

So for the Olympic events we have mostly what you should expect for the Games, with the exception of MC2 1000m, Adolf and Fejes are skipping the ECh. Men's kayak is a bit of a mess, the other disciplines are almost completely done with the Olympic selection. 

We are still terrible in men's K4, there's a good chance we won't make it to the Final at the ECh. Just forget about this boat and have Kopasz and Varga in it, that might be the only way we can have a chance for a good result in Tokyo. We need Varga to pull a Kozák, and do K1-K2-K4. 

Thankfully on the women's side everything looks fine, we might not need Kozák to win K4. 

I definitely would not be our NT coach.

They had to nominate the Tokyo 2020 K4 crew after the ECH. But I really do not know what they will do now. Both crews Baláž/Myšák/Vlček/Botek and todays Baláž/Myšák/Zalka/Botek are more or less at the same level. Both has now actually no chance to beat the overmighty Germans, but both should fight for medals, so now the coach has to really thnk and rethink abut every detail, because if the K4 will return from Tokyo without medal, I hardly see how he will be able to survive the critics he´ll face.

It looks like Carrington isn't the only one anymore who can beat us in both K1, Jorgensen wins both 200m and 500m. It's not looking great for our gold medal chances in Tokyo, I very much doubt that Kozák will be able to win K1 500m at this point, she's getting too old. 

25 minutes ago, Vektor said:

It looks like Carrington isn't the only one anymore who can beat us in both K1, Jorgensen wins both 200m and 500m. It's not looking great for our gold medal chances in Tokyo, I very much doubt that Kozák will be able to win K1 500m at this point, she's getting too old. 

I don't think Kozák is our spearhead this time, but I see a competitive team as always. I Believe the usual 3 golds (K4 W 500, K2 500 W, Kopasz, Tótka Sándor, C2 W 500), it is a very realistic result.

30 minutes ago, MagyarBabu said:

I don't think Kozák is our spearhead this time, but I see a competitive team as always. I Believe the usual 3 golds (K4 W 500, K2 500 W, Kopasz, Tótka Sándor, C2 W 500), it is a very realistic result.

Sure, we won 4 gold medals here in the Olympic events, something similar can happen in Tokyo, but we have to get really lucky, just like how we did in Poznan. The WK4 boat almost lost against Belarus, and who knows how strong NZ is. WK2 might be the most secure, but it's hard to tell with such a new boat, I would be more confident if it was still Kozák-Szabó. Dostal and the #1 German Schopf wasn't competing in K1 1000m this time, who knows if Kopasz would have been able to them. And MK1 200m is so unpredictable that literally anything can happen with Tótka. I would say that 2 gold medals is the realistic expectation, 2 out of the 4 gold medal chances, winning 50% of our chances is much more normal than what we saw in Poznan. Kozák in K1 500m isn't a gold medal chance anymore, neither the WC2 boat, I will happy if they win a bronze in Tokyo.