website statistics

Sailing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

18 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

Who does the Oceania quotas go to?

On 27/01/2020 at 15:45, JoshMartini007 said:

The Oceania women's 470 quota was reallocated to the highest ranked eligible nation in the women's 470 at the 2019 Worlds (Switzerland). It only goes to the laser radial if there are no more 470 quotas remaining.

21 minutes ago, Agger said:

Not so tough to find

28 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

Who does the Oceania quotas go to?

From what I can see, :AUS gets the quota in 49er, as :NZL has already won a quota. I think the quota in 49erFX and Nacra 17 will be reallocated to :SWE (49erFX) and :FRA (Nacra 17) from the 2019 World Championships, as :AUS and :NZL have already won quotas and they are the only nations from Oceania competing. 

Looking at the Laser/Laser Radial World Champs, currently :PNG:SAM are listed in the men's and :FIJ:PNG are listed in the women's. Should that remain unchanged (Cook Islands may compete) then they will automatically qualify to the Olympics, provided that they compete.

After some digging around it looks like there is a protest against the men's 470 :ASA boat. Basically they are looking to make sure everything is in order in terms of registration and Olympic eligibility

Here's an article about it (it's in German)

Edited by JoshMartini007

39 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

After some digging around it looks like there is a protest against the men's 470 :ASA boat. Basically they are looking to make sure everything is in order in terms of registration and Olympic eligibility

Here's an article about it (it's in German)

The article says that there is no formal protest, but not everyone is happy with the way Hoesch and Paige qualified. They were searching for a loophole in the system and found it as both hold American citizenship and are therefor eligible to compete for ASA. Hoesch and Paige had ONE WEEK of training together before traveling to the Oceania Qualification regatta. Of course, the German sailors are unhappy with it as the spot would have been reallocated to GER. Philip Autenrieth complains that he spend lots of money and effort over the course of last years  while Hoesch and Paige did not compete in any decent regatta.

That's the point with those continental spots... they offer loopholes for athletes with dual citizenship which are not good enough to qualify regularly. Mathilda Karlsson is another example. Yes, we have more colorful flags you can wave but I doubt that it really helps to evolve sports in those countries when basically foreign athletes accidentally having dual citizenship come and capture those spots.

I know that discussion about this issue is useless as most people have the opinion "The more exotic flags, the better - no matter how", but it is surely an ambivalent topic.

Edited by LowerSaxony

I am ome of them, who likes the exotic flahs what ever, specialy when they take one from Europe, and can admit to, if i could to that, i should do that.

Personaly i cant se any different between Germany, England and France all are western  european countries.

35 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

The article says that there is no formal protest, but not everyone is happy with the way Hoesch and Paige qualified. They were searching for a loophole in the system and found it as both hold American citizenship and are therefor eligible to compete for ASA. Hoesch and Paige had ONE WEEK of training together before traveling to the Oceania Qualification regatta. Of course, the German sailors are unhappy with it as the spot would have been reallocated to GER. Philip Autenrieth complains that he spend lots of money and effort over the course of last years  while Hoesch and Paige did not compete in any decent regatta.

That's the point with those continental spots... they offer loopholes for athletes with dual citizenship which are not good enough to qualify regularly. Mathilda Karlsson is another example. Yes, we have more colorful flags you can wave but I doubt that it really helps to evolve sports in those countries when basically foreign athletes accidentally having dual citizenship come and capture those spots.

I know that discussion about this issue is useless as most people have the opinion "The more exotic flags, the better - no matter how", but it is surely an ambivalent topic.

Yeah that’s the biggest loophole with US citizenship. If I really wanted to, I could train for cross country skiing the next four years, and then announce my intention to compete for USVI having never stepped foot in the territory once.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

52 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

The article says that there is no formal protest, but not everyone is happy with the way Hoesch and Paige qualified.

The article may not have said it, but considering they aren't listed as a qualified nation, there is most certainly an investigation going on.

hace 45 minutos, Khadidja Aisha dijo:

I am ome of them, who likes the exotic flahs what ever, specialy when they take one from Europe, and can admit to, if i could to that, i should do that.

Personaly i cant se any different between Germany, England and France all are western  european countries.

If you can't see the differences beween Germany, England and France, maybe you should study more...

It seems some people on this forum (like you and the Indian guy) have some problems with Western countries, because that argument is the same that saying that we should not have swimmers from Angola at the Olympics because we already have good swimmers from South Africa, and all the Africans are the same.

Edited by Cobi