website statistics

Sailing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

Finishing the off-topic (I hope):

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but it seems that no quota for Oceania in women's 470 means another place for Laser Radial from 2019 Worlds, which is Spain so far, with Saint Lucia the only eligible nation to get it, if Spain manages to get the European quota during World Cup in Genoa in April.

54 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Finishing the off-topic (I hope):

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but it seems that no quota for Oceania in women's 470 means another place for Laser Radial from 2019 Worlds, which is Spain so far, with Saint Lucia the only eligible nation to get it, if Spain manages to get the European quota during World Cup in Genoa in April.

The Oceania women's 470 quota was reallocated to the highest ranked eligible nation in the women's 470 at the 2019 Worlds (Switzerland). It only goes to the laser radial if there are no more 470 quotas remaining.

8 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Speaking of which, American Samoa hasn't formally been given the 470 quota (though Switzerland has received the reallocated quota)

See here

Maybe the thing is their only rival in Melbourne was mixed team so the competition was not men's only?

18 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Maybe the thing is their only rival in Melbourne was mixed team so the competition was not men's only?

African qualifier was also mixed race.

Let's just hope they didn't reinterpret the rules in a discriminatory fashion like IHF did when they kicked Australia out for no good reason and replaced it with an European team. ;)

#banbestmen

34 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Speaking of which, American Samoa hasn't formally been given the 470 quota (though Switzerland has received the reallocated quota)

See here

Granted, this could have been decided prior to the race as no women's team was entered.

#banbestmen

25 minutes ago, dcro said:

Granted, this could have been decided prior to the race as no women's team was entered.

Perhaps, but they have already added the Miami World Cup qualifiers so it would make sense for American Samoa to be included now.

Maybe there's a push to get the boat or even the whole event disqualified. Looking over the documents they did have the possibility to cancel the event if fewer than 10 boats were entered though they would have done it beforehand not after. Another possibility is maybe the American Samoa boat didn't follow regulations. All you need is for someone to go on a fishing expedition and I imagine they would find something that wasn't 100% by the book.

The less conspiracy theory is that it takes longer for the full results to be submitted vs. a World Cup event.

35 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

What's the link between the sailors who "won" the quota and American Samoa?

Adrian Hoesch seems to be a German and was representing Germany - wouldn't be surprised if he was a rich guy buying his way into the Olympics after googling his name.

I can’t find anything. This does look like a case where I’d argue against American Samoa receiving a quota place for universality.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela