website statistics

Sailing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

I will never understand countries who do this. I'm pretty sure Sweden and the Netherlands also do it. Weird because these are rich countries with resources.

The Greek athletics federation always has their own entry standards for major competition which are more strict than the general ones, but not for the Olympics. We always try to get as many people as possible to the Olympics. It is a dream for these athletes! I don't understand how these NOCs kill their athletes dreams and prevent them from going when they already achieved qualification!

1 hour ago, Laraja said:

After women's laser radial, New Zealand has declined another 2 quotas

Women's Rsx goes to :CYP

Women's 470 goes to :SWE

This seems wrong? How can Cyprus gain a place from the Europeans 2020 when Croatia finished ahead?

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The reallocation goes to the next best nation of the 2019 Worlds IIRC.

Which is Greece. 2019 Worlds have priority over continental events.

Greek quota then gets transferred to the continental level (Croatia).

#banbestmen

Best case scenario: They used the right note ('Reallocated from European Championships'), but accidentally put it in a wrong row on their spreadsheet (Cyprus is righr under Croatia).

Worst case scenario: I will have to clean up this mess myself because nobody from our federation even noticed it. :facepalm:

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I will never understand countries who do this. I'm pretty sure Sweden and the Netherlands also do it. Weird because these are rich countries with resources.

The Greek athletics federation always has their own entry standards for major competition which are more strict than the general ones, but not for the Olympics. We always try to get as many people as possible to the Olympics. It is a dream for these athletes! I don't understand how these NOCs kill their athletes dreams and prevent them from going when they already achieved qualification!

this is also the case for the French swimming federation, swimming in France is no longer interesting and we are having a hard time finding a new efficient generation so it imposes very high minimums (make a finalist time in the last game to qualify)!

6 hours ago, dcro said:

Best case scenario: They used the right note ('Reallocated from European Championships'), but accidentally put it in a wrong row on their spreadsheet (Cyprus is righr under Croatia).

Worst case scenario: I will have to clean up this mess myself because nobody from our federation even noticed it. :facepalm:

I think the reallocation is right for this case. They used the ˝If an allocated quota place is not confirmed by the NOC by the confirmation of quota place deadline or is declined by the NOC˝ line from the qualification rules (because here NZL declined their quota), they had to use the 2019 WCs ranking, and since Greece already qualified, Cyprus is next in line. 

But if you contacted your federation, let us know their response :)

2 hours ago, Matej said:

I think the reallocation is right for this case. They used the ˝If an allocated quota place is not confirmed by the NOC by the confirmation of quota place deadline or is declined by the NOC˝ line from the qualification rules (because here NZL declined their quota), they had to use the 2019 WCs ranking, and since Greece already qualified, Cyprus is next in line. 

But if you contacted your federation, let us know their response :)

Which does not explain why they say Cyprus qualified via the Europeans when they finished behind both CRO and BLR.

Also, they used the same writing in 2016. Back then there were multiple examples of quotas getting retroactivelly transferred between Worlds and continental events, as explained above.

#banbestmen

Damn :facepalm:

I guess Rio really was a long time ago, making my memory iffy.

So we get screwed by a ridiculous qualification system. Why even create a hierarchy of events if you are not going to use it? :facepalm: And, what, if the Europeans had got postponed (or NZ made up their mind earlier), Croatia would have qualified with the same exact outcome of races?

Honestly, these kinds of random influences open the doors of corruption and quallification fixing wide open. :wacko:

#banbestmen