website statistics

Sailing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

I'm actually fine with what the Winter Olympics are. I just don't like its fake globality label. They will never be truly global - IOC should accept it. Hell, with climate change, it's bound to become even more exclusive.

And, this whole indoor idea just doesn't work for me. It's not like you need to be out in the Sun for your activity to be called a summer sport. It doesn't really matter when handball gets played, you still need to recreate summer conditions indoors for the competition to be held. For the same reason figure skating is a Winter sport rather than an indoor one.

I mean, figure skating is both, you don't see too many outdoor events anymore. I'm not talking about moving all indoor sports, just the ones that take place in winter. Track cycling would sometimes overlap with the Winter Olympics if they were held on the same year.

We'd also just drop the summer/winter designation, just call it the Olympics and host it every two years, one in February and the other in August. The "February games" will have sports which typically have their World Championships between November-April while the "August games" will have sports which typically have their World Championships between May-October.

32 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I mean, figure skating is both, you don't see too many outdoor events anymore. I'm not talking about moving all indoor sports, just the ones that take place in winter. Track cycling would sometimes overlap with the Winter Olympics if they were held on the same year.

We'd also just drop the summer/winter designation, just call it the Olympics and host it every two years, one in February and the other in August. The "February games" will have sports which typically have their World Championships between November-April while the "August games" will have sports which typically have their World Championships between May-October.

I hope with all my heart this won't happen :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Il y a 9 heures, Olympian1010 a dit :

Also, there’s nothing wrong with the Winter Olympics. The only reason they’re even held separate from the Summer Olympics is because of climate. Those sports would be in the Olympics either way. It’s not really anyone’s fault that more NOCs don’t win medals. We’ve seen more and more countries competing in the winter sports recently, so clearly there’s a taste for winter sport.

lol, what about no ? Curling would never ever have been an olympic sport without the winter olympics. Neither sports like skeleton nor luge. They're minuscule sports worldwide. I mean just compare them to non summer olympic sports like karate, squash or baseball... 

People should just stop comparing both events, they're two different beasts and that's it. And that's fine.

Edited by De_Gambassi

Il y a 2 heures, JoshMartini007 a dit :

To make the Winter Olympics a more global event it'll likely have to become a "Winter & Indoor Olympics."

For anything held inside, the weather outside doesn't matter. Handball is a good example, their World Championships are in December/January so it isn't a huge stretch to have the Olympics in February. It'll also help balance the two Olympics.

Dropping, the 'ice & snow' mantra seems like a very bad idea to me. Stuff need to have a meaning also. We would lose that meaning in that scenario. Besides, it's not like egyptian handball fans would suddenly become ski jumping fans, just because the two sports are held during the same olympics.

Edited by De_Gambassi

55 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

lol, what about no ? Curling would never ever have been an olympic sport without the winter olympics. Neither sports like skeleton nor luge. They're minuscule sports worldwide. I mean just compare them to non summer olympic sports like karate, squash or baseball... 

People should just stop comparing both events, they're two different beasts and that's it. And that's fine.

Well unlike Karate, Squash, and Baseball they’ve actually held a spot in the Olympics for half a century now.

Yes, I agree with your bottom point.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

To make the Winter Olympics a more global event it'll likely have to become a "Winter & Indoor Olympics."

For anything held inside, the weather outside doesn't matter. Handball is a good example, their World Championships are in December/January so it isn't a huge stretch to have the Olympics in February. It'll also help balance the two Olympics.

no, thanks...:finger:

Winter Olympics are and must stay as the "Ice & Snow Sports" Olympics...:evil:

and frankly, who cares if they are not as "global" as the Summer Games...

it's not written anywhere that all the beautiful things of life must be "global"...:pope:

Edited by phelps

I'm with Phelps here. It's effectively a snow and ice games rather than a "winter games". 

Speaking as somebody from a country who isn't tropical and whose people don't care about the Winter Games, it's really no big deal that not everybody is involved.

It doesn't really need any changes to it at all