website statistics

Sailing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

11 minutes ago, rajiv said:

Sailing may sound like a rich man's activity to many but I bet many more people from all levels of society have experienced sailing than curling

That depends also from your location, some can sails only in their bathtub :p

8 hours ago, Vojthas said:

Not for everyone - it seems I'd have more chance to go to Olympics as a sailor from :PNG instead of curler from :POL .

That’s why I think Mixed Doubles should have its quota increased to 16 pairs.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Vojthas said:

Is it easier to be a curler in a country with only one curling hall than a sailor on an island surrounded by the ocean?

In case you haven’t noticed, Poland and Papua New Guinea aren’t exactly equal. There is still uncontacted people living in Papua New Guinea, the same cannot be said for Poland. Also, Poland can participate in the Winter Olympics, while PNG cannot.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I understand the reasons behind free quotas for small nations in Oceania, but I think they should add some requirements to give the quotas, like finishing top50 in at least one World Championship of the cycle or something similar, to assure that all the participants have a decent level to be at the Olympics.

I think that having a boat finishing always in the last place, 20 minutes behind the winner, is not going to help to the development of the sport, and this person from :PNG is preventing someone better from an European nation to be there. Probably the European sailor who has not quaified yet is not going to win a medal anyway, but at least he will compete.

6 minutes ago, Cobi said:

I understand the reasons behind free quotas for small nations in Oceania, but I think they should add some requirements to give the quotas, like finishing top50 in at least one World Championship of the cycle or something similar, to assure that all the participants have a decent level to be at the Olympics.

I think that having a boat finishing always in the last place, 20 minutes behind the winner, is not going to help to the development of the sport, and this person from :PNG is preventing someone better from an European nation to be there. Probably the European sailor who has not quaified yet is not going to win a medal anyway, but at least he will compete.

I’d rather have the guy from :PNG than the 25th guy from Europe who will finish last anyways.

I’ve seen a lot of disdain for these universality quotas on here, and it’s actually disappointing to me. I’m going to get into that debate today on TWU.

These continental quotas do help in development of the sport. You can't expect them to become super competitive in one cycle, but facts don't lie.

I mean, Angola had like 10 boats in the 470 event they hosted. For reference, Croatia is the current Olympic champion in this category, and yet at the moment we literally have nobody competing in 470 (men or women), as the winning crew has split. Rising interest in Angola can only be attributed to them competing in 2016.

Same goes for Oceania. In 2016 only Cook islands attmpted (and succeeded) in getting Oceanian spots. Now we have sailors from American Samoa, Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Samoa. 300% increase in participation of the Oceanian island nations!

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

These continental quotas do help in development of the sport. You can't expect them to become super competitive in one cycle, but facts don't lie.

I mean, Angola had like 10 boats in the 470 event they hosted. For reference, Croatia is the current Olympic champion in this category, and yet at the moment we literally have nobody competing in 470 (men or women), as the winning crew has split. Rising interest in Angola can only be attributed to them competing in 2016.

Same goes for Oceania. In 2016 only Cook islands attmpted (and succeeded) in getting Oceanian spots. Now we have sailors from American Samoa, Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Samoa. 300% increase in participation of the Oceanian island nations!

And it’s much more interesting to have these athletes, than some more from the already dominant countries. I find it fun to cheer the little teams on. Plus, many of these athletes have a amazing stories that really capture the Olympic spirit.

hace 5 minutos, Olympian1010 dijo:

And it’s much more interesting to have these athletes, than some more from the already dominant countries. I find it fun to cheer the little teams on. Plus, many of these athletes have a amazing stories that really capture the Olympic spirit.

Is it interesting for you cheering for a boat that you know beforehand that it is going to finish last? I find fun to cheer for those small countries when they have some options to compete and at least beat some other nations (for example Andorra in canoeing slalom), but when the only achievement has been to participate in a World Championship...

If they show a minimum level I don't have a problem on having these nations at the Olympics, but I feel a little bit unfair that some sailors have to qualify through a very hard process, while for others is just enough to fill a document. For this reason I really like the minimum requirements of sports like equestrian, shooting or team events in fencing.

Anyway, I respect your point and I don't think that having these small nations is an important problem, but if I had to take the decission, I would reduce these free quotas.

I root for this small countrys even if they finish last.

Is not like they're taking out any medal contenders for the game. Plus, there are like 35 quotas available in Men's Laser and even more in the woman's event. If a "big" country hasn't qualify yet is because they don't deserve it.

Better have countrys with small representation have another athlete then a country like Spain that has around 300 athletes in the games add one more guy when he's not going to add nohong valuable or even a story to follow.