website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Tokyo 2020 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I've posted it in between sports a few days ago, but maybe this could be fun suggestion for an Olympic prediction game, stolen from a Dutch forum, where it's basically called 'Team of Gods' :p 

The main premise is very simple: you take the following table, and fill it up with individual athletes you think will win a certain event. If the athletes wins said event, you get the points. Player with the most points wins. There's also a table for team events (being defined as every event where a medal is by rule won by more than one athlete at a time, so ice hockey obviously, but also doubles luge or 'mixed team short skateboard track figure shooting' or whatever gets added). The team event table goes from 30 to 27 to 24 all the way down to 3. Obviously the idea is to put your most certain winners highest. 

Hide contents
Points Athlete Event Won/Lost

The lower number of events at the Winter Olympics might make it better to not go for 32 and 11, but for - just guessing - 20 and 6 or so, but it could also be a good moment to try it out here :p 

It's simple and keeping track of points is even simpler (just add the wins, done), and of course just for fun.

Seems fun, we should definitely try it in February. 

One question though, is there a limit on athletes per event? As in, can i write 4 people in men's Luge for example? :d Or is it strictly 1 person/1 event

10 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Seems fun, we should definitely try it in February. 

One question though, is there a limit on athletes per event? As in, can i write 4 people in men's Luge for example? :d Or is it strictly 1 person/1 event

Yes, there are certain limits :p 

I thought I'd just write the general idea first, but there are a few limitations. Not per event, if you'd like you select 32 biathletes all for the women's sprint or something, but only one can win of course. 

The main limitation is that every athlete can be picked only once, and that includes individual and non-individual events. For example, you can pick Kamil Stoch in the ski jumping, but if you do, you can't pick the Polish team he'll presumably be a part of (or vice versa). Or in the previous Olympics: you can pick the American women's team pursuit team, but if you do, you can't pick Chloe Dygert for the time trial, because she's already part of that team.

As for teams, there is a limit of one team per discipline (which I think is more of a summer issue than winter). A summer example would be that you can not pick a women's tennis double and a men's tennis double (tennis is one discipline), but you can pick an equestrian show jumping team and a dressage team (show jumping and dressage are different disciplines, officially speaking).

Those really are the only significant rules if I'm not mistaken, there's nothing about nationalities or anything. I sort of made the mistake this time to think that they need to be from different sports, but that's not the case. I could've picked all the Chinese weightlifters for example in their eight events :p (not all divers, since some are also part of a synchro duo)

But to confirm your last question: yes, you can pick Pavlichenko, Loch, Ludwig, Fischnaller all for the men's luge, but keep in mind that of course only one of them can (potentially) score :d Unless we see some double gold shenanigans

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 months later...