website statistics

Bobsleigh 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, :NGR Adeagbo won the race in Winterberg and basically stole the quota from Brazil at the very last moment.

https://www.ibsf.org/en/component/events/event/501856

Brazilian can reclaim it tomorrow, but it will probably not happen.

EDIT: Or not. Apparently :UKR Hunko stole the quota from both of them although she was only third in Winterberg.

#banbestmen

Let's get a reality check here. Frimpong is the one creating havoc here, via tabloids, because... they are not letting him go to the Olympic for free like they (accidentally) did four years ago?

And even if IBSF/IOC got drunk and changed it, what kind of dangerous precedent would that set? Give every athlete free quota forever?

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Let's get a reality check here. Frimpong is the one creating havoc here, via tabloids, because... they are not letting him go to the Olympic for free like they (accidentally) did four years ago?

And even if IBSF/IOC got drunk and changed it, what kind of dangerous precedent would that set? Give every athlete free quota forever?

Essentially the IOC allows that for the Summer Olympics. Maybe they should build in an up to 20 extra quotas each cycle the IOC could hand out to countries not qualified after recommendation from IFS

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

I think there is something to be said about in inequity in the universality and continental representation process. Summer sports are now mandated to guarantee both those things, while winter sports are ambitiously recommended to do so. 

I would agree that it shouldn’t be changed now, but I think it’s something that should considered when the IOC constructs the qualification system principles for 2026. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think there is something to be said about in inequity in the universality and continental representation process. Summer sports are now mandated to guarantee both those things, while winter sports are ambitiously recommended to do so. 

I would agree that it shouldn’t be changed now, but I think it’s something that should considered when the IOC constructs the qualification system principles for 2026. 

His claims would have had more legitimacy if he had some competition on the African continent. At least two other countries. But doesn't seem like he did much to develop the sport in Africa following the continent's debut in Pyeongchang.

#banbestmen

44 minutes ago, dcro said:

His claims would have had more legitimacy if he had some competition on the African continent. At least two other countries. But doesn't seem like he did much to develop the sport in Africa following the continent's debut in Pyeongchang.

As far I’m aware, he helped a that Gambian skeleton athlete set up his national federation. He also held a few combines/tryouts for his own NF, with a skeleton athlete attending an IBSF training camp earlier this season. 

In many respects, he’s limited in what he can do. From my understanding, his sponsorships are just enough to cover his training, travel, competitions. He needs support from elsewhere to really get something serious off the ground.

Of course, it’s also hard to get other African nations interested in a sport when there’s no guarantee they’ll stand a real shot at the Olympics. Why would any sprinters, throwers, cyclists, lifters, etc. transition to bobsleigh/skeleton when there’s even less of a chance they’ll find some success there?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela