website statistics

Rowing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

New dates for Continental and Final Olympic Qualification Regattas:

http://www.worldrowing.com/news/rowing-updates-tokyo-2020-olympic-and-paralympic-qualification

Americas Continental Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta:
The Americas Continental Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta is planned to be hosted in Rio de Janeiro with the new provisional dates of 28 to 31 January 2021.

Asia and Oceania Continental Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta:
The Asia and Oceania Continental Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta is provisionally foreseen to take place in April 2021 but, at the moment, no venue is confirmed. 

European Continental Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta:
The European Continental Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta is now confirmed to take place in Varese, Italy from 5 to 7 April 2021. A pre-regatta training camp is also being discussed. 

Final Olympic Qualification Regatta:
The Final Olympic Qualification Regatta is now confirmed to take place in Lucerne, Switzerland from 16 to 18 May 2021.

African Continental Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta:
The African Continental Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta All qualified boats from the regatta are confirmed. In addition, given that this qualification event will now have been held around 20 months prior to the Games, the restriction on National Olympic Committees (NOC) which qualified a crew at this event to use the athlete/s who qualified the boat at this qualification regatta at the Games in the same event has been lifted. This only applies to this specific Continental Qualification Regatta, and not to the remaining Continental Qualification Regattas that are still to take place.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Yea; Worst rowing venue in Olympic memory tbh

Just wait until LA. We don’t really do rowing around here, so we’ll have to slop something together. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/11/2020 at 22:13, mrv86 said:

Americas Qualification Regatta postponed to late February or March.

https://worldrowing.com/2020/12/17/new-provisional-dates-for-americas-olympic-and-paralympic-continental-qualification-regatta/

From 4 to 6, March. It is still scheduled to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

• 1 month later...

So only one boat per country can qualify from the European regatta? Greece should make it in women's single sculls and men's single sculls and possibly women's lightweight double sculls, so I guess we can only have one of those boats make it and then the other two go to the final qualification regatta? Forgive me because I'm not sure how this works.

We also have some chances to qualify in men's lightweight double sculls and women's double sculls. I know we are also trying for men's four but it seems unlikely. The team that finished 4th in London and 8th in Rio is all gone. The new athletes in the men's four are too young for Tokyo.

7 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

So only one boat per country can qualify from the European regatta? Greece should make it in women's single sculls and men's single sculls and possibly women's lightweight double sculls, so I guess we can only have one of those boats make it and then the other two go to the final qualification regatta? Forgive me because I'm not sure how this works.

We also have some chances to qualify in men's lightweight double sculls and women's double sculls. I know we are also trying for men's four but it seems unlikely. The team that finished 4th in London and 8th in Rio is all gone. The new athletes in the men's four are too young for Tokyo.

for the olympic qualifying tournament, greece can qualify as many boats as it can. for the European qualifying tournament I believe it is only for the boats which did not qualify during the worlds, but to be confirmed

• 2 weeks later...