website statistics

Rowing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I don't know much about Prakhatsen until last month really. I didn't know her before then but she is doing very well.

she was on the Russian quadruple sculls at the 2019 world champs (the finished 9th, the first below the line, beaten by Italy with more than 2 sec margin in the B final of that event)...

her improvement in the single sculls this year, however, is frankly more than suspect...

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Well, anything less than a qualification would be a massive disappointment for our W2- crew. Fingers crossed.

At first glance, I said Chile and Croatia should make it. Then I noticed that Fie Udby Erichsen will be competing for Denmark (I was surprised to not see her in W1X, but now I know why), and Rasmussen who was part of the W4- that already qualified for Tokyo and she also won bronze in W2- in Rio. So I'd say Denmark are the favourites to qualify here, which leaves one spot for Chile/Croatia. And of course Germany and Russia have new teams with girls from their W8+ boats so you never know with them. Would be nice if Croatia can qualify so Greece won't be the only team with U23 athletes in this event.

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

She was the cox in the men's eights. The women are already qualified.

oh, yes, I should have known that (really getting too old and mentally tired)...:facepalm:

by the way, it doesn't change the fact that Canada not entering an Eight boat is shocking for me (men or women is the same)...

In 2008, Greece had 5 rowers at the Beijing Olympics. We had a great 2009-12 cycle, and we ended up sending 10 rowers to London. We did very well in the different age categories too, so it seemed that we would send a big team to Rio. However, we sent 10 rowers once again. Despite that, our young athletes did very well once again so I thought we would have a huge team for Tokyo, but now we will have 3-8 rowers (more likely to be 3-4, maybe 6 with some luck).

The big problem in Greek rowing is that we always do well in the age categories, have young athletes for one Olympic cycle and then they disappear and every Olympic cycle the same thing happens. In 2016 we sent Anastasia Vontzou to the Olympic qualification regatta for LW2X, she was just 16 years old at the time. Didn't qualify but later that year she won medals in JW2X at the European and World Championships (with Anneta Kyridou). Now she hasn't competed with the national team since 2018. Just one of the many examples of people who I thought would totally qualify for Tokyo but didn't. She is still only 21 years old and still rowing, it says she's graduating this year so maybe there's hope for Paris: https://goaztecs.com/sports/womens-rowing/roster/anastasia-vontzou/6910

What a shame that Asoumanaki/Nikolaidou finished 4th in W2X in Rio, they were the youngest team (19 and 23) and now neither will be going to Tokyo :cry:. And Ioannis Petrou was 6th in LM4- in Rio, he was just 20 years old at the time and never competed again after that year. There is clearly a problem with the national team if everyone is always retiring at young ages.

https://www.jara.or.jp/national/2021/202105007_asian_oceanian_TOKYO2020_qualification.html

This link says that Japan select LW2X and M1X

now it's up to Indonesia and Iran to make a decision

Iran has to pick between M1X and W1X, they both finished 2nd

and Indonesia has to pick between LM2X and LW2X, they both finished 4th, but they are 3rd actually removing JPN LM2X and IRN LW2X

by my count the followings are 100% qualified no matter what Iran and Indonesia do

LM2X: :IND:UZB

LW2X: :JPN:VIE

M1X: :JPN:KAZ:PHI:IRQ

W1X: :TPE:QAT:SGP

it's a sure thing the remaining quotas go for :IRI:INA:HKG:KOR:THA

KOR and HKG are 5th in LW2X and LM2X, Indonesia's choice will decide about them too. and whoever doesn't qualify here will take the W1X spot.

and Thailand has to wait for Iran's decision. if Iran picks W1X, Thailand will qualify in M1X and vice versa