website statistics

Rowing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

On 28/07/2020 at 18:53, Olympian1010 said:

Just wait until LA. We don’t really do rowing around here, so we’ll have to slop something together. 

They've hosted two previous Olympic rowing regattas so it shouldn't be insurmountable. Could they not use Lake Casitas again as they did in 1984? In 1932 they held the regatta at the Long Beach marina.

2 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

They've hosted two previous Olympic rowing regattas so it shouldn't be insurmountable. Could they not use Lake Casitas again as they did in 1984? In 1932 they held the regatta at the Long Beach marina.

Yes...it might be possible to use Lake Casitas. I don’t think it’d be the ideal venue personally. Long Beach Marina would be my choice, but from what I understand, it’s shorter than 2000m. When LA hosted the Special Olympics World Games in 2015, Canoe was held at the Long Beach Marina. Personally, I think that’s a great venue, and it would definitely be easy to construct some temporary seating there. However, if it’s too short for Olympic rowing, then we need go with something else. 

The current plan is to use Lake Perris. I know basically nothing about that venue. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes...it might be possible to use Lake Casitas. I don’t think it’d be the ideal venue personally. Long Beach Marina would be my choice, but from what I understand, it’s shorter than 2000m. When LA hosted the Special Olympics World Games in 2015, Canoe was held at the Long Beach Marina. Personally, I think that’s a great venue, and it would definitely be easy to construct some temporary seating there. However, if it’s too short for Olympic rowing, then we need go with something else. 

The current plan is to use Lake Perris. I know basically nothing about that venue. 

The one problem they had at Lake Casitas,I think from memory, was early morning mists. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case at Lake Perris.

4 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

The one problem they had at Lake Casitas,I think from memory, was early morning mists. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case at Lake Perris.

Yeah...Lake Casitas is also kind of out in of the way. It’s up in Ventura County (I believe), and there isn’t really any other venues in that area. It’s not like that would be a super long or difficult drive from LA, but my guess is the Lake Perris meets the venue requirements and is in a more desirable area.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah...Lake Casitas is also kind of out in of the way. It’s up in Ventura County (I believe), and there isn’t really any other venues in that area. It’s not like that would be a super long or difficult drive from LA, but my guess is the Lake Perris meets the venue requirements and is in a more desirable area.

Since my last post I've found a minute from a FISA meeting in February 2019 confirming that the organisers have requested that they consider the possibility of using the Long Beach marina despite the inadequate length. No decision on the final venue seems to have been made so you may still get your wish!

"Los Angeles 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games – The Council was presented with a proposal to study an alternative venue for the LA2028 Olympic Games. The bid proposal was to stage this regatta at Lake Perris, a reservoir on the east of Los Angeles which would require a satellite Olympic Village. LA2028 proposed that an existing venue in Long Beach, California be considered. The Long Beach Marine Stadium was the Rowing venue for the 1932 Olympic Games and would allow the athletes to stay in the main Olympic Village at UCLA. The Council agreed to proceed with more detailed studies on the tide impacts on fairness and the possible reduction of the race distance."

so, one of the signature sports of the Olympics, full of epic moments and tradition, is going to change its hundreds-of-years-old racing distance and sell its soul for what? a venue a few miles closer to the city center?

c'mon! let's go on with this crazy farce that the Olympics have become...:facepalm: :nopompom: :hairpull: :stop:

1 hour ago, phelps said:

so, one of the signature sports of the Olympics, full of epic moments and tradition, is going to change its hundreds-of-years-old racing distance and sell its soul for what? a venue a few miles closer to the city center?

c'mon! let's go on with this crazy farce that the Olympics have become...:facepalm: :nopompom: :hairpull: :stop:

I’m not a fan of shrinking the distance either. Long Beach Marina would still be my preference though. With some temporary seating, it could be a fantastic venue. Plus, as @Nickyc707 pointed out, Olympic rowing has already been held at that very venue in 1932.

This little info about the venue makes me want the Rowing to be held there even more (assuming some of the problems could alleviated): “The stadium is the only rowing venue specifically built for the sport in the United States and it was named a California State Landmark in 1995 since it and the Coliseum are the only two surviving 1932 Olympic structures.”

This article goes really in-depth about it all: https://www.row2k.com/features/2619/Short-Course--The-Long-Beach-Marine-Stadium-2028-Olympic-Proposal/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://sportsfeed.gr/maxh-gia-th-1-olympiakh-thesi-sto-varese/

According to this article (in Greek), only countries with one or less quotas can gain quotas in Varese at the European qualifiers. This means that BLR, CRO, CZE, DEN, FRA, GER, GBR, ITA, IRL, LTU, NED, NOR, POL, ROU, ESP, and SUI all can't compete.

Can somebody confirm this information? I am not sure how accurate it is. I knew that countries could only gain one quota from Varese, but I didn't know that already qualified countries with two or more crews can't compete. 

55 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

http://sportsfeed.gr/maxh-gia-th-1-olympiakh-thesi-sto-varese/

According to this article (in Greek), only countries with one or less quotas can gain quotas in Varese at the European qualifiers. This means that BLR, CRO, CZE, DEN, FRA, GER, GBR, ITA, IRL, LTU, NED, NOR, POL, ROU, ESP, and SUI all can't compete.

Can somebody confirm this information? I am not sure how accurate it is. I knew that countries could only gain one quota from Varese, but I didn't know that already qualified countries with two or more crews can't compete. 

It's in the qualification document

https://nocnsf.nl/media/1697/fisa-rowing.pdf