website statistics

Rowing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

On 15/03/2020 at 09:24, Jur said:

Well, the spanish federation decided not to send several boats to the World Championships and have them focusing instead in the final qualification regatta......

Not only Spain, Mexico also did this to our LW 2x crew :facepalm:

After a brief message exchange with @intoronto, I did this small sim about what would happen if World Rowing uses last year World Championships results to fill the remaining spots.

I ranked the boats in the order in which they finished at the World Championships for each event. If World Rowing decides to take this placing to award the quotas, then:

EVENT AMERICAS REGATTA ASIA & OCEANIA REGATTA EUROPE REGATTA FINAL REGATTA
M 1x MEX USA CUB PUR PAR BER * KAZ UZB KOR THA IND         POL GRE AZE     BUL GBR ISR SRB FRA SUI    
M 2x                                           AUS ARG CAN BLR        
M 4x                                           NZL UKR RUS EST        
M 2-                                           GBR USA POL DEN        
M 4-                                           FRA GER SRB RSA        
M 8+                                           NZL ROU CAN ITA        
M LW 2x CAN USA *         AUS NZL CHN JPN HKG         CZE AUT       CHN POR USA FRA DEN GBR    
W 1x TTO PUR MEX PAR * *   TPE KAZ VIE QAT KOR THA SGP * * DEN CZE UKR GER FRA CZE GER SWE GRE BUL KAZ NOR MEX
W 2x                                           BLR POL GBR GER        
W 4x                                           RUS AUS ROU FRA        
W 2-                                           CHI UKR POL GER        
W 4-                                           CHN IRL NZL ITA        
W 8+                                           ROU CHN RUS NED        
W LW 2x CAN USA GUA         AUS CHN JPN             SUI POL GER     USA RSA POL IRL        

a) Crews in green will obtain a quota in their respective event.

b) Crews in orange are not elegible for a quota place, as according to the qualification document only the highest ranked crew may obtain a place for its NOC, the exception being if both finished in first place, as is the case for both :AUS and :CAN in lightweight double sculls.

c) Cells in blue with an asterisk indicate that the continental quota for that especific event was not filled, and therefore they're reallocated to the next boat at the Final Regatta. In the case of Asia, as :JPN obtains a place in women's LW 2x, its host quota in women's 1x gets reallocated to the continental regatta; however only four crews from Asia competed at 2019 World Champs, two places are reallocated to the final regatta, which results in :KAZ gaining an additional spot.

d) Crews in lime green, namely :USA will have to choose between those three boats; in my opinion, since they are will qualify in women's LW 2x, the decision will come between the men crews; however, they likewise will obtain a place from a reallocated quota in men's lightweight double sculls, so if they plan to send as many boats as possible, they'll stick with their place in men's sculls. Those in lime green & italics will then benefit from the quotas USA discards.

e) Crews in yellow are the two first reserves in their respective events.

Finally I'd like to remind, that this is only a simulation, based on my interpretation of they rules in the scenario 2019 World Championships are used to select the boats.

Edited by mrv86

well Iran didn't participate at the World Championship focusing on the continental events, and both Iranian single sculls rowers are Asian gold medalist, that will be a huge disappointment for them, as far as I know despite the situation those 2 + plus their coach put themselves in quarantine, (kind of a prison) to train full time for this. :(

I hope they consider continental championships :pope:

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

After a brief message exchange with @intoronto, I did this small sim about what would happen if World Rowing uses last year World Championships results to fill the remaining spots.

I ranked the boats in the order in which they finished at the World Championships for each event. If World Rowing decides to take this placing to award the quotas, then:

EVENT AMERICAS REGATTA ASIA & OCEANIA REGATTA EUROPE REGATTA FINAL REGATTA
M 1x MEX USA CUB PUR PAR BER * KAZ UZB KOR THA IND         POL GRE AZE     BUL GBR ISR SRB FRA SUI    
M 2x                                           AUS ARG CAN BLR        
M 4x                                           NZL UKR RUS EST        
M 2-                                           GBR USA POL DEN        
M 4-                                           FRA GER SRB RSA        
M 8+                                           NZL ROU CAN ITA        
M LW 2x CAN USA *         AUS NZL CHN JPN HKG         CZE AUT       CHN POR USA FRA DEN GBR    
W 1x TTO PUR MEX PAR * *   TPE KAZ VIE QAT KOR THA SGP * * DEN CZE UKR GER FRA CZE GER SWE GRE BUL KAZ NOR MEX
W 2x                                           BLR POL GBR GER        
W 4x                                           RUS AUS ROU FRA        
W 2-                                           CHI UKR POL GER        
W 4-                                           CHN IRL NZL ITA        
W 8+                                           ROU CHN RUS NED        
W LW 2x CAN USA GUA         AUS CHN JPN             SUI POL GER     USA RSA POL IRL        

a) Crews in green will obtain a quota in their respective event.

b) Crews in orange are not elegible for a quota place, as according to the qualification document only the highest ranked crew may obtain a place for its NOC, the exception being if both finished in first place, as is the case for both :AUS and :CAN in lightweight double sculls.

c) Cells in blue with an asterisk indicate that the continental quota for that especific event was not filled, and therefore they're reallocated to the next boat at the Final Regatta. In the case of Asia, as :JPN obtains a place in women's LW 2x, its host quota in women's 1x gets reallocated to the continental regatta; however only four crews from Asia competed at 2019 World Champs, two places are reallocated to the final regatta, which results in :KAZ gaining an additional spot.

d) Crews in lime green, namely :USA will have to choose between those three boats; in my opinion, since they are will qualify in women's LW 2x, the decision will come between the men crews; however, they likewise will obtain a place from a reallocated quota in men's lightweight double sculls, so if they plan to send as many boats as possible, they'll stick with their place in men's sculls. Those in lime green & italics will then benefit from the quotas USA discards.

e) Crews in yellow are the two first reserves in their respective events.

Finally I'd like to remind, that this is only a simulation, based on my interpretation of they rules in the scenario 2019 World Championships are used to select the boats.

Very clear and presentable. Love your work. But still I have a question, I am not sure if this situation should be considered. Let me take CHN as an example, it's the team I am familiar with most.

Given CHN qualified 2+ women boats in 2019 WCH already, we don't have qualification to compete the continental quotas initially. We could only compete for final regatta. It seems the W LW 2x quota for CHN is an extra gift due to no more continental qualifiers. Maybe same situation for NZL. But I am not sure if am correct.

36 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Very clear and presentable. Love your work. But still I have a question, I am not sure if this situation should be considered. Let me take CHN as an example, it's the team I am familiar with most.

Given CHN qualified 2+ women boats in 2019 WCH already, we don't have qualification to compete the continental quotas initially. We could only compete for final regatta. It seems the W LW 2x quota for CHN is an extra gift due to no more continental qualifiers. Maybe same situation for NZL. But I am not sure if am correct.

You're totally right. I need to rectify the document, as I added some countries that shouldn't qualify through continental quotas

Thanks a lot :thumbup:

Here's the new version of the qualification table, in case 2019 World Championship results are used by World Rowing

EVENT "AMERICAS REGATTA" "ASIA & OCEANIA REGATTA" "EUROPE REGATTA" "FINAL REGATTA"
M 1x MEX CUB PUR PAR BER * KAZ UZB KOR THA IND VAN UAE * * GRE AZE BUL     POL GBR ISR SRB FRA SUI TUR USA  
M 2x                                         AUS ARG CAN BLR          
M 4x                                         NZL UKR RUS EST          
M 2-                                         GBR USA POL DEN          
M 4-                                         FRA GER SRB RSA          
M 8+                                         NZL ROU CAN ITA          
M LW 2x * * *       JPN HKG IND             AUT POR UKR TUR   AUS CAN CZE NZL CHN USA FRA    
W 1x TTO PUR MEX PAR * * TPE KAZ VIE QAT KOR THA SGP * * UKR SWE GRE BUL FIN DEN CZE GER FRA GRE BUL KAZ NOR  MEX
W 2x                                         BLR POL GBR GER          
W 4x                                         RUS AUS ROU FRA          
W 2-                                         CHI UKR POL GER          
W 4-                                         CHN IRL NZL ITA          
W 8+                                         ROU CHN RUS NED          
W LW 2x GUA * *       JPN KOR THA             AUT LAT *     CAN AUS USA SUI RSA CHN POL    

As you can see, for continental  regattas I only considered those NOCs that have either one or zero crews qualified from the Worlds. 

In this scenario, :JPN would qualify both lightweight boats, thus a quota in both single sculls events was added to Asia & Oceania Quota, which means :VAN would earn a quota in men's 1x.

All other blue cells with an asterisk are places that can't be filled by boats from that continent, so they're reallocated to the next best crews from the Worlds, also colored in blue.

Finally, both :AUT & :PAR would have to choose between their crews, as they finished in the exactly same; sadly for Austria, they were already qualified in women's single sculls, so they can only pick one boat from the continental quota.  In both cases, the NOC's benefiting from the exclusion of either boat are marked in lime and italics in their respective events.