website statistics

Sport Climbing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Benolympique said:

tomorrow starts the qualifying asia championship for tokyo, who would have news? or the list of participating countries? thank you

as far as I know they cancelled the competition. and the Asian quota will be decided by the World Championships results but I'm not sure about this part ! 

but I'm sure there will be no competition tomorrow, I would know about it.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

as far as I know they cancelled the competition. and the Asian quota will be decided by the World Championships results but I'm not sure about this part ! 

but I'm sure there will be no competition tomorrow, I would know about it.

I heard the same news. In this scenario, both man and woman quota will go to South Korea.

http://aroundtherings.com/site/A__101929/Title__IFSC-ASIAN-CHAMPIONSHIPS-IN-XIAMEN-CANCELLED/292/Articles

So, it's official that Asian qualifications are cancelled, as @Vic Liu wrote, the two quotas are awarded to :KOR via their results at last World Championships.

51 minutes ago, rybak said:

http://aroundtherings.com/site/A__101929/Title__IFSC-ASIAN-CHAMPIONSHIPS-IN-XIAMEN-CANCELLED/292/Articles

So, it's official that Asian qualifications are cancelled, as @Vic Liu wrote, the two quotas are awarded to :KOR via their results at last World Championships.

It’s very likely :KOR would have taken both quotas anyway. Maybe :TPE could have challenged for the women’s spot. :KAZ:CHN could have gained more climbers possibly, but at least they already qualified some.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Team China wanted these two remaining quotas very much. As the Asian qualifier originally scheduled in Chongqing, China but rescheduled to Japan due to the pandemic and surprisingly rescheduled back to China again as Japan gave it up afterwards. There were a few Chinese national climbing events preparing for the Olympic qualifier this year and I am sure other asian climbers must also train very hard for this. Very sad, everything is unpredictable during the ongoing pandemic, not just Climbing or Olympics.