website statistics

Poll 44/100 | Qualifications | Which individual sport has the most controversial qualification system?

Poll 44/100  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which individual sport had the most controversial qualification system?

• Boxing
    • Weightlifting
    • Diving
    • Swimming
    • Sport Climbing
    • Karate
    • Athletics
    • Any other

This one is a no brainer. Weightlifting by miles, complicated, idiotic and elitist qualifying system, followed by boxing, this was a category Apart this cycle in term of stupidity.  And then wrestling for allowing too many quotas almost 2 years before the games and too few in the real Olympic season

I would suggest adding Diving given the current issues there. 

I’m curious to know why Sports Climbing was included. I don’t see any major flaws with the qualification system. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Boxing by miles for me, followed by weightlifting. Although nowhere near the worst, since we are on the topic it’s worth noting the controversy in the athletics qualification system with shoe technology making for discrepancies in the distance events  but also with the unfair world ranking points system which heavily favours athletes in nations who have access to high level meets. 

Weightlifting is unbelievably complicated, and has national limits not tied to weights. Just a shitshow

Boxing's is poor this year but normally everybody has one chance to win their way in

7 hours ago, hckošice said:

This one is a no brainer. Weightlifting by miles, complicated, idiotic and elitist qualifying system, followed by boxing, this was a category Apart this cycle in term of stupidity.  And then wrestling for allowing too many quotas almost 2 years before the games and too few in the real Olympic season

Wrestling gave max quotas to the last WC before Olympics. Its not their fault that Olympics got delayed by a year. 

Yeah, I don't fault federations being forced to change their qualification method because of COVID.

Weightlifting is my choice. Any qualification method where it is impossible for an athlete to qualify to an event due to other athletes qualifying in a different event is bad. Canoe sprint also has the same issue in kayak events. At least in taekwondo you could theoretically qualify in all events via the world rankings.