website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

On 15/06/2021 at 17:19, MHSN said:

2 in men's Kata where only :KUW is eligible.

if they really award those quotas to the next best NOC "not represented" :KUW is first, :INA is next, (and :PAN is next in case )

1 is available in women's Kata where only :MNE is eigible. if she doesn't get it for any reason. the best NOC "not represented" yet is :DOM

1 is available in women's 61kg, nobody is eligible per WKF's rules. the first NOC "not represented" is :ECU

Germany got an additional quota place in men's Kata for Ilja Smorguner.

Source in German: Freude auch in Hessen: Vierter deutscher Olympia-Starter für Karate Verband | hessenschau.de | Mehr Sport

2 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Germany got an additional quota place in men's Kata for Ilja Smorguner.

Source in German: Freude auch in Hessen: Vierter deutscher Olympia-Starter für Karate Verband | hessenschau.de | Mehr Sport

so "not represented" means not represented in that specific event. not the whole Karate competition.

that also makes sense if France takes women's 61kg quota

Final allocation of quotas confirmed. 

Men’s Kata - :KUW (tripartite)

Women’s Kata - :MKD (tripartite)

Men’s Kata - :GER (reallocation)

Women’s -61kg - :FRA (reallocation)

Source: https://www.wkf.net/news-center-new/last-olympians-for-karate-confirmed/1601

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Final allocation of quotas confirmed. 

Men’s Kata - :KUW (tripartite)

Women’s Kata - :MKD (tripartite)

Men’s Kata - :GER (reallocation)

Women’s -61kg - :FRA (reallocation)

Source: https://www.wkf.net/news-center-new/last-olympians-for-karate-confirmed/1601

that's very interesting, the Macedonian girl is ranked 67 in the world and the rule made it clear that being in top 50 is mandatory for everybody to qualify (except those who qualified in Paris qualifier) but who cares about the rules. WKF obviously doesn't. that's why this sport (despite being much more popular than at least Taekwondo) is not in the Olympic program.

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

that's very interesting, the Macedonian girl is ranked 67 in the world and the rule made it clear that being in top 50 is mandatory for everybody to qualify (except those who qualified in Paris qualifier) but who cares about the rules. WKF obviously doesn't. that's why this sport (despite being much more popular than at least Taekwondo) is not in the Olympic program.

On the WKF website she is 49th in the World Rankings, which I believe is different than the Olympic standing right?

Just now, intoronto said:

On the WKF website she is 49th in the World Rankings, which I believe is different than the Olympic standing right?

indeed. but you have a good point here which I didn't notice until now.

the rules say "WKF World Ranking as of May 2021" . it doesn't say the Olympic Standing

but that's weird. everything was about the Olympic Standing but this one is about the World Ranking . but OK at least this one was within the rules.

all news websites in Iran are reporting that one of our "biggest names" in this sport who was supposed to be the gold medal contender in Tokyo is tested positive for doping. as usual they claim he just took some medicines without consulting with the doctors.

we were supposed to have 3 strong gold medal contenders in Tokyo, while they didn't mention a name , I believe I know who is that athlete. but I'm not going to write it here because it's not official.

well well. the whole Karate qualification process was a mixture of bad luck and bad results for Iran and this is the last nail to the coffin. so instead of having 8 athletes in Tokyo. we will end up with just 3. :cry:

43 minutes ago, MHSN said:

all news websites in Iran are reporting that one of our "biggest names" in this sport who was supposed to be the gold medal contender in Tokyo is tested positive for doping. as usual they claim he just took some medicines without consulting with the doctors.

we were supposed to have 3 strong gold medal contenders in Tokyo, while they didn't mention a name , I believe I know who is that athlete. but I'm not going to write it here because it's not official.

well well. the whole Karate qualification process was a mixture of bad luck and bad results for Iran and this is the last nail to the coffin. so instead of having 8 athletes in Tokyo. we will end up with just 3. :cry:

That`s really unfortunate. And I am not quite sure what will happen if he/she is really banned from the Olympics.

As it is a "big" name I assume that he/she is qualified as Top4. Who will get a ticket in this case? Place 4 of the qualification tournament?

Will there be a re-run of the continental quota procedure? Tripartite invitation? What a mess...:facepalm: