website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

if it was today, the following athletes would qualify.  but again keep in mind if one of these athletes qualify, that will change everything like a domino.

Men:

Oceania: :AUS Yahiro (75kg)

Africa: :EGY Abdelaziz (75kg)

Pan-Am: :USA Irr (+75kg)

Asia: :KAZ Yuldashev (+75kg)

Europe: :LAT Kalnins (67kg)

Women:

Oceania: :NZL Anacan (Kata)

Africa: :EGY Abdelaziz (+61kg)

Pan-Am: :PER Grande (61kg)

Asia: :IRI Alipour (61kg)

Europe: :ITA Semeraro (+61kg)

Extra:

the last athlete for Africa shouldn't be from Egypt, the best ranked athlete among all 8 events

Africa: :MAR El Hakimi (Men's Kata)

if the African athlete is a male, the last Pan-Am quota will go to the best female Pan-Am gold medalist

Pan-Am: :BRA Kumizaki (55kg)

===================

so it will be something like this (at least at the moment)

there will be 4 wild cards, I believe Kuwait has a good chance for one of them in men's Kata

Men

Kata:    :MAR

67kg:   :LAT

75kg:   :AUS:EGY

+75kg: :USA:KAZ

Women

Kata:    :NZL

55kg:   :BRA

61kg:   :PER:IRI

+61kg: :EGY:ITA

34 minutes ago, MHSN said:

if it was today, the following athletes would qualify.  but again keep in mind if one of these athletes qualify, that will change everything like a domino.

Men:

Oceania: :AUS Yahiro (75kg)

Africa: :EGY Abdelaziz (75kg)

Pan-Am: :USA Irr (+75kg)

Asia: :KAZ Yuldashev (+75kg)

Europe: :LAT Kalnins (67kg)

Women:

Oceania: :NZL Anacan (Kata)

Africa: :EGY Abdelaziz (+61kg)

Pan-Am: :PER Grande (61kg)

Asia: :IRI Alipour (61kg)

Europe: :ITA Semeraro (+61kg)

Extra:

the last athlete for Africa shouldn't be from Egypt, the best ranked athlete among all 8 events

Africa: :MAR El Hakimi (Men's Kata)

if the African athlete is a male, the last Pan-Am quota will go to the best female Pan-Am gold medalist

Pan-Am: :BRA Kumizaki (55kg)

===================

so it will be something like this (at least at the moment)

there will be 4 wild cards, I believe Kuwait has a good chance for one of them in men's Kata

Men

Kata:    :MAR

67kg:   :LAT

75kg:   :AUS:EGY

+75kg: :USA:KAZ

Women

Kata:    :NZL

55kg:   :BRA

61kg:   :PER:IRI

+61kg: :EGY:ITA

How is determined asian quota? From continental championship 2019 or only by higher ranked? Thank you

2 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

How is determined asian quota? From continental championship 2019 or only by higher ranked? Thank you

for Asia, Oceania and Africa it's simply the highest ranked athlete.

only in Europe and Pan-America they will consider the Continental Games results.

apparently everybody has to be in top 50 of WR to qualify (except athletes who will qualify in France) I have to make some changes to the list I made earlier. removing everybody outside of top 50.

beside that only few athletes inside top 50 are eligible for the Wild Card

Men

Kata: :KUW

67kg: :MKD:MNE:KUW:ALB

75kg: :PAK:KOS

+75kg: :ALB:KOS:MKD

Women

Kata: :MNE

55kg: None

61kg: None

+61kg: :MNE

we will see which weights/events will be free for a wild card only after the World Qualifiers.

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

for Asia, Oceania and Africa it's simply the highest ranked athlete.

only in Europe and Pan-America they will consider the Continental Games results.

Chatziliadou is ranked 8th in women's +61kg, and what do you mean by Continental Games? Because she won medals at the last three European Championships as well as the last European Games.

5 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Chatziliadou is ranked 8th in women's +61kg, and what do you mean by Continental Games? Because she won medals at the last three European Championships as well as the last European Games.

only 2019 European Games counts and she won a bronze. which means all gold and silver medalists have advantage over her. (the best ranked gold medalists from the EG will qualify, if not the best ranked silver medalists and if not possible, then they go to bronze medalists)

even if by a miracle it comes down to the bronze medalists Quirici of Switzerland in the same category has a better rank.

her chance to grab the continental quota is something like 1% and probably less. she has to qualify in France if she wants to go to Tokyo.

Is the Asian continental quota decided by points/combined category ranking/pre-combined category ranking? I wonder if Li Ranran ranking 2nd or 3rd in Asia? Which means she need to wait how many competitors won the qualifier then she may receive the continental quota? @MHSN

2 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Is the Asian continental quota decided by points/combined category ranking/pre-combined category ranking? I wonder if Li Ranran ranking 2nd or 3rd in Asia? Which means she need to wait how many competitors won the qualifier then she may receive the continental quota? @MHSN

for Asia, they simply take the best ranked athlete among the 4 categories (in each gender)

I made a list for that (check the previous page) she is currently 2nd in Asia. she will take the Asian quota if:

1) Rozita Alipour of Iran qualifies directly  (I hope so :pope: )

2) two other continents take both 61kg available spots before Asia. in that case Alipour can't qualify and they will consider the next athlete.(I hope not :d )

it's also possible that Alipour qualifies herself but two other continents (Africa and Pan-Am) take both 55kg quotas before it comes to Li Ranran. that's an unlikely scenario though.

The registration deadline for the last chance qualifier was today, so I assume no more names will be added to this list

https://www.sportdata.org/wkf/set-online/veranstaltung_info_main.php?active_menu=calendar&vernr=386&ver_info_action=catnennlist#a_eventheadend

something like 70 athletes for men's kumite events and something like 60 for women's events. both Kata events have less than 50.

this tournament will have a unique format. top 4 will face each other once again in a round robin to determine the 3 qualified athletes. so going to the final doesn't guarantee you an Olympic quota.

14 minutes ago, MHSN said:

The registration deadline for the last chance qualifier was today, so I assume no more names will be added to this list

https://www.sportdata.org/wkf/set-online/veranstaltung_info_main.php?active_menu=calendar&vernr=386&ver_info_action=catnennlist#a_eventheadend

something like 70 athletes for men's kumite events and something like 60 for women's events. both Kata events have less than 50.

this tournament will have a unique format. top 4 will face each other once again in a round robin to determine the 3 qualified athletes. so going to the final doesn't guarantee you an Olympic quota.

favorites by categories?