website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

As all tripartite nations must be in the top 50 of the Olympic Standings here are those that are eligible.

Men's Kata

:KUW (ranked 18th)

Men's -67kg

:MKD (ranked 18th)

:MNE (ranked 20th)

:KUW (ranked 29th)

Men's -75kg

:PAK (ranked 24th)

:KOS (ranked 45th)

Men's +75kg

:ALB (ranked 45th)

:MKD (ranked 46th)

Women's Kata

:MNE (ranked 36th)

:MKD (ranked 44th)

Women's -55kg

None

Women's -61kg

None

Women's +61kg

:MNE (ranked 26th)

Slim pickings on the women's side, it is likely one, if not two quotas will be reallocated

7 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

As all tripartite nations must be in the top 50 of the Olympic Standings here are those that are eligible.

Men's Kata

:KUW (ranked 18th)

Men's -67kg

:MKD (ranked 18th)

:MNE (ranked 20th)

:KUW (ranked 29th)

Men's -75kg

:PAK (ranked 24th)

:KOS (ranked 45th)

Men's +75kg

:ALB (ranked 45th)

:MKD (ranked 46th)

Women's Kata

:MNE (ranked 36th)

:MKD (ranked 44th)

Women's -55kg

None

Women's -61kg

None

Women's +61kg

:MNE (ranked 26th)

Slim pickings on the women's side, it is likely one, if not two quotas will be reallocated

top 50 of the world ranking in the single categories, which is quite a different thing than the OQR (there should be a few more options)...;)

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

top 50 of the world ranking in the single categories, which is quite a different thing than the OQR (there should be a few more options)...;)

Weird that they didn't keep things consistent.

That adds...

:ALB:BUR to men's -67kg

:KOS:MNE to men's +75kg

:BEN to women's -55kg

:KOS:MKD to women's +61kg

7 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Weird that they didn't keep things consistent.

That adds...

:ALB:BUR to men's -67kg

:KOS:MNE to men's +75kg

:BEN to women's -55kg

:KOS:MKD to women's +61kg

Well in that case, Benin almost certainly won themselves a Karate quota :clap:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well in that case, Benin almost certainly won themselves a Karate quota :clap:

no. it's not a sure thing that a free spot remains available in this weight after they give the continental quotas. it's very complicated actually. it depends on who qualifies in the last chance qualifier.

Zabihollah Poursheib wrote something on his instagram , that's very long but the main point is this line

This is very unfair, very cruel, the history should remember that the second place in Olympic Ranking didn't qualify for the Olympics.

Edited by MHSN

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

Zabihollah Poursheib wrote something on his instagram , that's very long but the main point is this line

This is very unfair, very cruel, the history should remember that the second place in Olympic Ranking didn't qualify for the Olympics.

But let’s be fair, probably he would not have made it even in a normal circumstances. Of course you never know, he had a chance and that was taken from him. But he is not the only one and there will be many many more in other sports. 
For Iran it does not really matter. They have still a medal contender in that category. 

Edited by prso1000

2 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

But let’s be fair, probably he would not have made it even in a normal circumstances. Of course you never know, he had a chance and that was taken from him. But he is not the only one and there will be many many more in other sports
For Iran it does not really matter. They have still a medal contender in that category. 

of course it doesn't matter for Iran, actually I'm glad Ganjzadeh made it. he has more chance for the gold medal than Poursheib. I really really feel sorry for Poursheib :(, I know he sacrificed a lot to be in Tokyo, but I always preferred Ganjzadeh.

yes having another K1 event most probably wouldn't change much for Poursheib and that's not the point, he didn't even mention that in his long post. he is more upset about the rules favoring Ganjzadeh over him despite having less points.

he is hugely disappointed because they didn't know having more points won't be enough for him. they only found out about it when he surpassed Ganjzadeh in the ranking but WKF ranking was still showing Ganjzadeh in green. WKF should mentioned it very clearly in its official qualification rule but they didn't predict such a rare situation.

and I don't think there are "many many more" athletes who are 2nd in Olympic Ranking and still doesn't qualify for the olympics. (I'm talking about sports with qualification based on the ranking) this is very very rare where top 2 are from the same country. I know it happened at men's 58kg taekwondo but can't remember another example in any other sports. Poursheib is very upset because he is not even behind another Iranian in the WR. my point is I think Poursheib deserved it more because he had more points even though I still think Ganjzadeh is a better option.

38 minutes ago, MHSN said:

of course it doesn't matter for Iran, actually I'm glad Ganjzadeh made it. he has more chance for the gold medal than Poursheib. I really really feel sorry for Poursheib :(, I know he sacrificed a lot to be in Tokyo, but I always preferred Ganjzadeh.

yes having another K1 event most probably wouldn't change much for Poursheib and that's not the point, he didn't even mention that in his long post. he is more upset about the rules favoring Ganjzadeh over him despite having less points.

he is hugely disappointed because they didn't know having more points won't be enough for him. they only found out about it when he surpassed Ganjzadeh in the ranking but WKF ranking was still showing Ganjzadeh in green. WKF should mentioned it very clearly in its official qualification rule but they didn't predict such a rare situation.

and I don't think there are "many many more" athletes who are 2nd in Olympic Ranking and still doesn't qualify for the olympics. (I'm talking about sports with qualification based on the ranking) this is very very rare where top 2 are from the same country. I know it happened at men's 58kg taekwondo but can't remember another example in any other sports. Poursheib is very upset because he is not even behind another Iranian in the WR. my point is I think Poursheib deserved it more because he had more points even though I still think Ganjzadeh is a better option.

For Chinese table tennis players, world no.1 is not a guarantee for participating Olympics though 2 quotas available. World ranking is just for reference, head coach have the final say to choose which 2 players to play. In Rio current women world no.1 Liu Shiwen failed to participate single event but luckily she was on team event.