website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

so, here we have a quick recap of the current distribution of Continental quota:

Europe (European Games Minsk 2019)

:UKR Stanislav Horuna, men's kumite -75kg (but, according to the 10 athletes per weight limit and to the order of choice of those who're going to fill the list of qualified athletes, he should be replaced by :AZE Asiman Gurbanli, men's kumite +75kg, as there are already more than 2 fighters from other Continents in qualifying position in the same class, who come before Europe in the order of choice)...

:ITA Silvia Semeraro, women's kumite +61kg

Americas (Panamerican Games Lima 2019)

:PER Alexandra Grande, women's kumite -61kg

:USA Brian Irr, men's kumite +75kg

:BRA Valeria Kumizaki, women's kumite -55kg

Oceania (OQR)

:AUS Tsuneari Yahiro, men's kumite -75kg

:NZL Alexandrea Anacan, women's kata

Asia (OQR)

:UZB Dastonbek Otabolaev, men's kumite -75kg

:IRI Travat Khaksar, women's kumite -55kg (same situation as Horuna in Europe...so, she should be replaced by :IRI Rozita Alipour, women's kumite -61kg)...

Africa (OQR)

:EGY Radwa Sayed, women's kumite -55kg

:EGY Feryal Abdelaziz, women's kumite +61kg

:MAR Adnane Elhakimi, men's kata (because of the rules of "at least 2 different NOCs" and "at least 1 athlete per gender"...otherwise he has 2 more Egyptians better placed than him -but below both Sayed and Abdelaziz in the women's divisions- and also his compatriot Btissam Sadini in the women's kumite -61kg has the same placing and more points than him in the OQR)...

thanks but I have a question, is this is a sure thing that they will not consider Pan African Games instead of the ranking for Africa ?

and another thing, Khaksar still will have the spot if the deadline was today, per rules. only first 2 American athletes will be picked before Asia. the 3rd one will be the last. also first they will pick 1 for each gender before going to the "at least 2 different NOCs" rule

here is the order per my understanding

Oceania :  2 athletes (one per gender) :AUS (M 75) :NZL (W Kata)

Africa  :  2 athletes (one per gender) :EGY (M 75) :EGY (W 55)

Pan-America  :  2 athletes (one per gender) :USA (M +75) :PER (W 61)

Asia  :  2 athletes (one per gender) :UZB (M 67) :IRI (W 55)

Europe  :  2 athletes (one per gender) :AZE (M +75) :ITA (W +61)

Africa  :  1 athlete (one per gender) :MAR (W 61)

Pan-America  :  1 athlete (gender depends on Africa selection) :VEN (M 67)

possible if I missed something. way too complicated. for some cases athletes were even tied in the ranking and I had to consider their points and even if one of them changes. that will change the rest too. so this list is far from over. nobody will be picked for men's Kata for now, so If this stands it will be 2 wild cards for this event.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

thanks but I have a question, is this is a sure thing that they will not consider Pan African Games instead of the ranking for Africa ?

and another thing, Khaksar still will have the spot if the deadline was today, per rules. only first 2 American athletes will be picked before Asia. the 3rd one will be the last. also first they will pick 1 for each gender before going to the "at least 2 different NOCs" rule

here is the order per my understanding

Oceania :  2 athletes (one per gender) :AUS (M 75) :NZL (W Kata)

Africa  :  2 athletes (one per gender) :EGY (M 75) :EGY (W 55)

Pan-America  :  2 athletes (one per gender) :USA (M +75) :PER (W 61)

Asia  :  2 athletes (one per gender) :UZB (M 67) :IRI (W 55)

Europe  :  2 athletes (one per gender) :AZE (M +75) :ITA (W +61)

Africa  :  1 athlete (one per gender) :MAR (W 61)

Pan-America  :  1 athlete (gender depends on Africa selection) :VEN (M 67)

possible if I missed something. way too complicated. for some cases athletes were even tied in the ranking and I had to consider their points and even if one of them changes. that will change the rest too. so this list is far from over. nobody will be picked for men's Kata for now, so If this stands it will be 2 wild cards for this event.

yes, according to the official qualification document on the wkf website the only 2 continental events to be considered are the European Games and the Pan-Am Games, all the other Continents would go down to the OQR...

meanwhile you're right about the order of selection of the 3rd African and American picks...I just stopped reading too early...:facepalm:

and I agree on 100% on your final thought...this is not a good qualification system at all...

p.s. men's kata could be in contention if the Moroccan guy can climbs a few spots in the ranking...however, it could be that those places will be used for the tripartite commission spots (we have 2 male and 2 female of those to be distributed in any case)...

p.p.s. I just noticed that also Otabolaev is exceeding the 10-man limit in the men's -75kg (Oceania and Africa -now with a men's 75kg guy after you made me notice that 1 athlete per gender must be picked in every continent, also those with 3 spots available- coming before Asia in the order of choice)...so, I had to go with the next Asian guy in the rankings, but in a different weight class (luckily for UZB, he's still one of them)...

Edited by phelps

so, according to our friend @MHSN advice, this should be the current Continental Quota recap after all has been fixed...

Europe (European Games Minsk 2019)

:UKR Stanislav Horuna, men's kumite -75kg (but, according to the 10 athletes per weight limit and to the order of choice of those who're going to fill the list of qualified athletes, he should be replaced by :AZE Asiman Gurbanli, men's kumite +75kg, as there are already more than 2 fighters from other Continents in qualifying position in the same class, who come before Europe in the order of choice)...

:ITA Silvia Semeraro, women's kumite +61kg

Americas (Panamerican Games Lima 2019)

:PER Alexandra Grande, women's kumite -61kg

:USA Brian Irr, men's kumite +75kg

:VEN Andres Madera Delgado, men's kumite -67kg

Oceania (OQR)

:AUS Tsuneari Yahiro, men's kumite -75kg

:NZL Alexandrea Anacan, women's kata

Asia (OQR)

:UZB Dastonbek Otabolaev, men's kumite -75kg (same situation as Horuna in Europe, as Oceania and Africa come before Asia in the order of choice...so, he should be replaced by :UZB Sadriddin Saymatov, men's kumite -67kg)

:IRI Travat Khaksar, women's kumite -55kg

Africa (OQR)

:EGY Radwa Sayed, women's kumite -55kg

:EGY Abdalla Mamduh Abdelaziz, men's kumite -75kg

:MAR Btissam Sadini, women's kumite -61kg

so, if this list is finally the correct one, the 4 spots reserved for the Tripartite Commission wild cards are: 2 in the men's Kata and 1 in the women's Kata + 1 in the women's Kumite +68kg...

Edited by phelps

Interesting, I didn't know of Top 50 requirement for wild cards.

So it looks as though only :MKD :KUW :PAK :BEN would be eligible. Benin is ranked 50th so they can easily drop out too.

Despite all the hype, karate is really not as globally competitive as taekwondo...

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Interesting, I didn't know of Top 50 requirement for wild cards.

So it looks as though only :MKD :KUW :PAK :BEN would be eligible. Benin is ranked 50th so they can easily drop out too.

Despite all the hype, karate is really not as globally competitive as taekwondo...

Plus, all the top level Taekwondo athletes have a similar level of skill. There’s a lot more difference in Karate.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 hours ago, phelps said:

yes, according to the official qualification document on the wkf website the only 2 continental events to be considered are the European Games and the Pan-Am Games, all the other Continents would go down to the OQR...

meanwhile you're right about the order of selection of the 3rd African and American picks...I just stopped reading too early...:facepalm:

and I agree on 100% on your final thought...this is not a good qualification system at all...

p.s. men's kata could be in contention if the Moroccan guy can climbs a few spots in the ranking...however, it could be that those places will be used for the tripartite commission spots (we have 2 male and 2 female of those to be distributed in any case)...

p.p.s. I just noticed that also Otabolaev is exceeding the 10-man limit in the men's -75kg (Oceania and Africa -now with a men's 75kg guy after you made me notice that 1 athlete per gender must be picked in every continent, also those with 3 spots available- coming before Asia in the order of choice)...so, I had to go with the next Asian guy in the rankings, but in a different weight class (luckily for UZB, he's still one of them)...

African Games will count as continental qualification for Africa

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, dcro said:

+ Kosovo, Albania and maybe some others that I missed. Benin has one in 33rd position in the World Ranking.

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

No, it's only more difficult to get ranking points in karate. Apart from the continental and world championships, only the major circuit (PL and Serie A) gives points, with top athletes participating regularly, and usually you have to win 3 bouts to get a good amount of points.