website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

3 ore fa, Dunadan ha scritto:

1) The Olympic standings are useless now because African and Asian athletes will lose all the points gained in their Continental Championships. Only the last Continental Championship held during the qualification period will count.

2) In this document https://wkf.net/pdf/FAQ_Olympics_may2018.pdf there's also the Olympic competition system, similar to the one used at the YOG, with two bronze medals awarded.

What will be the competition system applicable in Olympic Games of Tokyo 2020? The system used in the Olympic Games of Tokyo 2020 is a Round Robin system. The elimination round consists of two pools (A and B) of five contestants. All contestants compete against each other within each pool (a total of ten bouts in each pool). The contestants are ranked according to the results achieved in their pool (number of points and scores). A contestant winning a bout will be awarded two points. The contestants will be awarded one point each in case of a tied bout. The top two contestants from each pool qualify to the semifinals. Semifinals and Final: The winner of pool A competes against the second ranked contestant from pool B, and the winner of pool B competes against the second ranked contestant from pool A. The semifinal winners compete for the gold and silver medals. The semifinal losers are both awarded bronze medals.

Will the pools in the Olympic Games of Tokyo 2020 be seeded? Yes, the pools will be seeded as follows: - Pool A → 1 st and 4th positioned athlete as per Olympic Standing of 06.04.2020 - Pool B → 2 nd and 3rd positioned athlete as per Olympic Standing of 06.04.2020

I still hope that things will change thanks to the boxing being thrown out of the Games after Rakhimov has been confirmed as their World Federation's president...

my dream is to have all 10 kumite weight classes (improbable, but still) and 16 players in each class, so to have the classic 16-(wo)man direct elimination (with repechage) table draws (more likely, if boxing is really kicked out)...

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/11/2018 at 23:25, Dunadan said:

1) The Olympic standings are useless now because African and Asian athletes will lose all the points gained in their Continental Championships. Only the last Continental Championship held during the qualification period will count.

Is that a sure thing ? I'm a bit lazy to check the documents. I was going to blame our federation for not sending some of our A team members to the 2018 Asian Championship (and saving them for the Asian Games) but you are telling me that wasn't a mistake, right ?

Adesso, MHSN ha scritto:

Is that a sure thing ? I'm a bit lazy to check the documents. I was going to blame our federation for not sending some of our A team members to the 2018 Asian Championship (and saving them for the Asian Games) but you are telling me that wasn't a mistake, right ?

yes, only the last Continental Championship held within the OQ period counts...

so, if there will be some Continental Champs in 2019, they will count towards the 2018 ones...

p.s. next week the serie A tournament in Shanghai will put some OQR points up for grabs...it will be interesting to see how many of the big boys (and girls) will start in China...:mumble:

back to Italian (big) troubles...Sara Cardin a couple of days ago had a torn ACL (+ broken meniscus), so she had to undergo a complicated surgery and she's expected to miss at least half of the next season, which means that it will be basically impossible for her to qualify through the World Ranking and that she'll have to rely only on the world qualification tournament in Paris after the OQP is over (May 2020)...

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

so, if there will be some Continental Champs in 2019, they will count towards the 2018 ones...

p.s. next week the serie A tournament in Shanghai will put some OQR points up for grabs...it will be interesting to see how many of the big boys (and girls) will start in China...:mumble:

back to Italian (big) troubles...Sara Cardin a couple of days ago had a torn ACL (+ broken meniscus), so she had to undergo a complicated surgery and she's expected to miss at least half of the next season, which means that it will be basically impossible for her to qualify through the World Ranking and that she'll have to rely only on the world qualification tournament in Paris after the OQP is over (May 2020)...

so which EC counts in the end, 2019 or 2020? :D

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

That's a good news for likes of Ganjzadeh, Askari, etc but also bad news for Abbasali she won the Asian Champs beating Uekusa. won't be easy for her to repeat that.

Iran is not going to send a team to China. and some other tournaments. I see Ganjzadeh wrote something about that in his instagram. no money for that :(

another question, do they count all results ? or something like Judo when they only consider 5 best results of a year

20 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yes, it's sure, it's written both in the ranking regulations and in the FAQs related to Tokyo 2020 on WKF site.

4 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

so which EC counts in the end, 2019 or 2020? :D

It should be 2019 because the 2020 ECh is scheduled for May 2020 - qualification period through Olympic standings ends on 6 April 2020

4 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

That's a good news for likes of Ganjzadeh, Askari, etc but also bad news for Abbasali she won the Asian Champs beating Uekusa. won't be easy for her to repeat that.

Iran is not going to send a team to China. and some other tournaments. I see Ganjzadeh wrote something about that in his instagram. no money for that :(

another question, do they count all results ? or something like Judo when they only consider 5 best results of a year

all the scores, but those listed between last Summer and April 2019 (except for the recent world champs, of course) will give only 50% of points, meanwhile those registered in the last 12 months of the OQ period (april 2019 - april 2020) will give 100% of points...

• 4 weeks later...