website statistics

Shooting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

hckošice

The Slovaks could probably use this phrasing in the qualification system to challenge the ISSF’s decision:

Double Starters are athletes who have an Aa accreditation and, who are entered by their NOC in a specific event where their NOC has obtained a quota place and where the athlete has achieved the required MQS, and who are also entered in another event where the athlete also has the required MQS. Double Starters may be entered in other Shooting events provided they have achieved the required MQS and the NOC maximum quota per event is not exceeded.

However, the ISSF could likely defend their position using this clause:

…except that Mixed Team event quotas are obtained by the NOC and the athletes who are members of those teams are still eligible to obtain quota places in individual events.

“still eligible to obtain” being interpreted as athletes still need to qualify an individual for an individual event quota to participate in individual events.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

There’s nothing that upsets me more than “frivolous” or “dead” quota. People may not like how complicated the Canoe Sprint qualification system is, but at least the ICF makes the most of the quotas they award. Awarding quotas purely for a Mixed Team event that has other means of qualification and then not allowing the athletes qualified through the Mixed Team event to participate the individual events is an extraordinary waste of quota. 

Hard agree. I'm a great believer, broadly, in 'bang for your buck' (Shooting pun absolutely intended!) when it comes to the Games. There's huge pressure to reduce the total number of athletes, and you can't muck around wasting them - I think, in some ways archery gets it right - the ranked team places come first, and EVERY team member gets a shot in the individual. Then the remaining places go to the ranked individuals. This is one of the ways Archery managed to snag a fifth event without ANY quota alterations - and a fifth event which will give many more NOCs an opportunity at a 'team' event (as they only need a single male and single female).

FWIW the same principle means I believe every venue, especially expensive new ones, should find ways to cram in as many events as possible where that doesn't conflict, or can be made not to conflict, with quota numbers...So for example, I don't see why we can't have a mixed pair skeet, as it would require not a single new quota place, no new facility.

2 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Hard agree. I'm a great believer, broadly, in 'bang for your buck' (Shooting pun absolutely intended!) when it comes to the Games. There's huge pressure to reduce the total number of athletes, and you can't muck around wasting them - I think, in some ways archery gets it right - the ranked team places come first, and EVERY team member gets a shot in the individual. Then the remaining places go to the ranked individuals. This is one of the ways Archery managed to snag a fifth event without ANY quota alterations - and a fifth event which will give many more NOCs an opportunity at a 'team' event (as they only need a single male and single female).

FWIW the same principle means I believe every venue, especially expensive new ones, should find ways to cram in as many events as possible where that doesn't conflict, or can be made not to conflict, with quota numbers...So for example, I don't see why we can't have a mixed pair skeet, as it would require not a single new quota place, no new facility.

To be fair, Archery had an established Mixed Team legacy in World Cups and Championships. ISSF had no such event and had to create 3 Mixed Team events from scratch to retain 3 Gold medals. If you look at Mixed Team events in the present Olympic cycle, this thing is visible a lot. There has been a lot of changes in their format. And ISSF is already developing Mixed team events for other disciplines as well, so that for the next Olympic, they can try and add 3 more Gold medals without any increase in quota places. 

I agree that instead of giving out Mixed team quota and allowing the same athlete to win 2 quotas was simply wrong. They should have simply given the Mixed team quota winners a quota in each of the individual events (like Archery) but at that time, nobody knew how the Mixed team events would develop. So, in my opinion, the main problem was the hurried manner in which Mixed team events were rushed in Olympics. 

14 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

So only 1 mixed team per nation unless mixed team quota obtained from World Championships? 

Thats what ISSF answered to our federation yesterday after our appeal. Not sure if it is for all 3 mixed events, since we were obviously solving the mixed trap issue, but I guess this will apply there as well, but not take it for granted.

The thing that really upset our federation and athletes, is not they changed the rule and will not allow them to compete in the individuals. It is the fact they did not announce it until past week ! Literally from 2018, when we won the quotas until July 2021, our athletes, federation, everyone was ready to start in the individuals. More than 2 years  they were all 4 preparing for the events. After 2 and half years, just one week before the start of the games ISSF suddenly announce the mixed trap quotas will be only for mixed trap. boom.

Not really serious and absolutely no fair from ISSF to change the rules after 2 and half years like that. Many people in Slovakia are already feeling like it was just because Slovakia is small and nobody cares, I already read comments that if it would be a major powerhouse like let say Italy winning in our situation ISSF would not release anything because of scare, now Slovakia, ok lets change it, nobody willl care...

8 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Thats what ISSF answered to our federation yesterday after our appeal. Not sure if it is for all 3 mixed events, since we were obviously solving the mixed trap issue, but I guess this will apply there as well, but not take it for granted.

The thing that really upset our federation and athletes, is not they changed the rule and will not allow them to compete in the individuals. It is the fact they did not announce it until past week ! Literally from 2018, when we won the quotas until July 2021, our athletes, federation, everyone was ready to start in the individuals. More than 2 years  they were all 4 preparing for the events. After 2 and half years, just one week before the start of the games ISSF suddenly announce the mixed trap quotas will be only for mixed trap. boom.

Not really serious and absolutely no fair from ISSF to change the rules after 2 and half years like that. Many people in Slovakia are already feeling like it was just because Slovakia is small and nobody cares, I already read comments that if it would be a major powerhouse like let say Italy winning in our situation ISSF would not release anything because of scare, now Slovakia, ok lets change it, nobody willl care...

It's of course not likely that Slovakia being Slovakia has any effect on the whole thing, but damn that sucks :( 

So typical for a sports federation to fuck things up like this. I know it's always possible perhaps a national federation did actually misread something, but way more likely ISSF just screwed up and the athletes are the victims. 

At least now I have a team to cheer for in the mixed event, go Slovakia!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It's of course not likely that Slovakia being Slovakia has any effect on the whole thing, but damn that sucks :( 

So typical for a sports federation to fuck things up like this. I know it's always possible perhaps a national federation did actually misread something, but way more likely ISSF just screwed up and the athletes are the victims. 

At least now I have a team to cheer for in the mixed event, go Slovakia!

we misread nothing. It was in the rules for more than 2 and half year. They just decided now to change the rule to afford only athletes who won quotas in idividual events to compete.