website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

Wow, Being reported just now that :USA Michael Andrew (100 BR, 200IM 50 FS)is not vaccinated and will not be at the Olympics.

Check that though, he's not withdrawing, he just won't get vaccinated/be vaccinated at the Games.  The original headlines made it sound as though he was withdrawing.

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

Considering that none of the 4 Hungarian OST swimmers qualified, I think the number of OST qualifiers might be really small. 

:IRL got one in 200m men’s Butterfly

7 hours ago, Triplecast said:

Wow, Being reported just now that :USA Michael Andrew (100 BR, 200IM 50 FS)is not vaccinated and will not be at the Olympics.

Check that though, he's not withdrawing, he just won't get vaccinated/be vaccinated at the Games.  The original headlines made it sound as though he was withdrawing.

So, Andrew will not compete at Olympics? :yikes:

2 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

So, Andrew will not compete at Olympics? :yikes:

No, it only says he won't be vaccinated, and there's no requirement saying one needs to be vaccinated in order to compete (at least according to media writing about it).

It can be fairly understandable in this case. His justification is not so much being some anti-vaxxer, but about the chance that he'd have a reaction to the vaccine which would make him lose several days of training and so decrease his medal chances. So short before the Olympics, one can at least understand that choice.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 hours ago, phelps said:

I hope it's not what it looks...:coffee:

OK, he's very young, but almost 3 seconds of improvement in a year...:crazy:

To me it is simple: If you are a medal contender, you are doped. You could ask yourself how likely it is that someone without doping is faster than the most talented Chinese/Russian swimmers (talent pool of 1.5 billion, countries that have no problem with doping to say the least). For me the probability of something like that happening is zero. Doesn’t change the fact that he might have the most beautiful stroke of all active freestylers (alongside Sun Yang) and has a lot of room for improvement once he starts lifting weight. Paltrinieri for example has an ugly stroke and should never be as fast as he is. Also the rise of Turkey (thanks to another Italian magician, just like Ethiopia/Kenya/Uganda in athletics) makes you question how clean Italy itself is.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

18 hours ago, Mark Chan said:

Both Ian Thorpe and Michael Phelps won their first Worlds gold at the age of 16.

Would be incredible to see David Popovici  win OLYMPICS gold at 16!

Another new WJR, this time at 200 m free: 1:45.26. Note: he set it in the semifinals :) 

4 minutes ago, Mark Chan said:

If Popovici is from a wealthy Western European country or USA, no one will question his legitimacy...

Such is the hypocrisy 

Yes, my friend, I'm so glad you said it.

As you see, he's been accused of doping by users from China - who should be expelled forever from Olympics for systematic doping, and Italy - who's by no means clean. Surprisingly, no americans jumped in...so far