website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Are you trying to troll me? In the comment I answered to it said „we‘re ruined“, which clearly means that the original poster saw it as very bad for Italy‘s chances. By listing all their other medal chances, I tried to put it into perspective and to show him that they are far from ruined. Obviously none of this matters for Paltrinieri personally, but that wasn’t the point of the discussion. 

Nope, I am not trolling anyone. I just gave you a certain comparison. Paltrinieri is/was a medal contestant in probably 2 events. And he is one of the biggest stars of Italian swimming these days. So I understand that his withdrawal is a big loss for the Italian Olympic Team. 

I will give you another example. If :GEO Lasha Talakhadze in weightlifting withdrew from Olympics, should the Georgian fans make happier to tell them that they have medal.contestants in other categories or sports? Well, in my opinion, no. Of course, there can always be a surprising unexpected medal from any athlete. But you have an Olympic Gold medal contestant getting ready for several years for this special event and mononucleosis cuts his efforts .... One sport disaster for him and the Italian Olympic Team. Of course, some other athletes will shine cause of winning the medal. But he may have shined as well..... As for another example, I may say high jumper Tamberi :ITA ... Before Rio, he was a medal contestant, highest bid for gold, but ACL ruined everything. These days, ppl barely know him, mostly because of his "beard cuts" .... If he won the Olympics, his life and career would have been elsewhere.....

Canadian swimming team:

Women:

• Bailey Andison (Smiths Falls, ON)
  • Katrina Bellio (Mississauga, ON)
  • Tessa Cieplucha (Georgetown, ON)
  • Mary-Sophie Harvey (Trois-Rivières, QC)
  • Margaret Mac Neil (London, ON)
  • Kylie Masse (LaSalle, ON)
  • Summer McIntosh (Toronto, ON)
  • Penny Oleksiak (Toronto, ON)
  • Sydney Pickrem (Halifax, NS)
  • Taylor Ruck (Kelowna, BC)
  • Kayla Sanchez (Toronto, ON)
  • Katerine Savard (Pont-Rouge, QC)
  • Kierra Smith (Kelowna, BC)
  • Rebecca Smith (Red Deer, AB)
  • Kelsey Wog (Winnipeg, MB)

Men:

• Javier Acevedo (Toronto, ON)
  • Ruslan Gaziev (Toronto, ON)
  • Brent Hayden (Mission, BC)
  • Yuri Kisil (Calgary, AB)
  • Finlay Knox (Okotoks, AB)
  • Joshua Liendo (Toronto, ON)  
  • Gabe Mastromatteo (Kenora, ON)
  • Cole Pratt (Calgary, AB)
  • Markus Thormeyer (Delta, BC)

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

Would be nice and helpful. Thanks in advance.

Ok. Quite interesting that neither China nor Japan are among the top 5 nations with the most athletes in the top 8.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Acevado must be a relay only swimmer (4x100 free and medley)

Andison must be because Wog has scratched the 200im

Mary-Sophie Harvey must be a 4x200 relay swimmer

Smith must be the medley relay only swimmer. 

Don’t quite understand why they would nominate Acevedo. Canada has to be at their best to qualify for the 400 free relay final, they can’t afford to rest anyone in prelims.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Don’t quite understand why they would nominate Acevedo. Canada has to be at their best to qualify for the 400 free relay final, they can’t afford to rest anyone in prelims.

Probably because they need an alternate for Hayden. He may not be able to swim on short notice.

7 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Hayden probably doesn't have more than one swim in the 100 in him. I don't think they view this as a medal chance.... so they will take the final if they can get it.