website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

So much for CBC hyping Brent as the oldest swimmer 

He could be the oldest finalist (in the 50 free or 400 free relay).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) He could still recover in time.

2) You have more than enough other medal chances:

Miressi (100 free)

Detti (400/800 free)

De Tullio (400 free)

Acerenza (1500 free, if Paltrinieri doesn’t compete)

Martinenghi (100 breast)

Burdisso (200 fly)

Maybe men’s 400 free relay

Maybe Razzetti (400 IM)

Quadarella (800/1500 free)

Pilato/Carraro (100 breast)

Panziera (200 back)

I am sorry but I would strongly disagree with this opinion.... Every athlete is unique and has his/her own story .... It's like when someone from :NED said that Dafne Schippers got injured and reply would be: Worry not, you still have dressage team as a medal contestant ......  

P.S. no wishing anyone injury, just giving an example... 

7 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) He could still recover in time.

2) You have more than enough other medal chances:

Miressi (100 free)

Detti (400/800 free)

De Tullio (400 free)

Acerenza (1500 free, if Paltrinieri doesn’t compete)

Martinenghi (100 breast)

Burdisso (200 fly)

Maybe men’s 400 free relay

Maybe Razzetti (400 IM)

Quadarella (800/1500 free)

Pilato/Carraro (100 breast)

Panziera (200 back)

You already know very well that none of those you mentioned is comparable to Paltrinieri, who had gold medal chances in 3 events and was a lock for at least 2 medals. 

2 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

Every athlete is unique and has his/her own story .... It's like when someone from :NED said that Dafne Schippers got injured and reply would be: Worry not, you still have dressage team as a medal contestant ......  

Exactly...like it would help Schippers in any way that the Netherlands could win a judo medal or something :d 

Sad to see Paltrinieri out or likely out :( That's just heartbreak, so short before what could have been the absolute highlight of his athletic life..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Exactly...like it would help Schippers in any way that the Netherlands could win a judo medal or something :d 

Sad to see Paltrinieri out or likely out :( That's just heartbreak, so short before what could have been the absolute highlight of his athletic life..

Even more so that a certain well known cheater is no longer in the field..... :D

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

All the results from the Uzbekhistan Open Championships in April just got thrown out by FINA.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/swimming/indian-swimmer-sp-likith-alleges-manipulation-timing-uzbekistan-open-championship/article34379120.ece

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

4 hours ago, Dunadan said:

You already know very well that none of those you mentioned is comparable to Paltrinieri, who had gold medal chances in 3 events and was a lock for at least 2 medals. 

Yes, he probably would have been your most successful athlete, but how is Italy ruined when they could still easily win 6 medals (which would be a good result for a nation like Italy)? Paltrinieri not competing would also open up a medal spot in the 800 free (for Detti) and the 1500 free (for Acerenza). 

Also: Maybe he will recover in time?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

I am sorry but I would strongly disagree with this opinion.... Every athlete is unique and has his/her own story .... It's like when someone from :NED said that Dafne Schippers got injured and reply would be: Worry not, you still have dressage team as a medal contestant ......  

P.S. no wishing anyone injury, just giving an example... 

Are you trying to troll me? In the comment I answered to it said „we‘re ruined“, which clearly means that the original poster saw it as very bad for Italy‘s chances. By listing all their other medal chances, I tried to put it into perspective and to show him that they are far from ruined. Obviously none of this matters for Paltrinieri personally, but that wasn’t the point of the discussion.