website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

I find it fascinating that big Western countries are unable to send larger teams because they don't have the money. Like, we are nowhere near the GDP of Italy or Germany, but if we could we would send "everyone". :d Or maybe I am wrong, it's not like we will ever get to test if there are limits to the Hungarian Olympic budget, the size of our Olympic team is shrinking, not growing, even 200+ seems like a distant memory for us at this point. 

As as I know, the USOPC generally fulfills all or the vast majority of the quotas. The only times I can remember the US giving up quotas is when we pass the limit allowed. The USOPC has/used to have a dumb policy about not sending athletes in non-Olympic sports at the YOG, but maybe that’s changed since we sent SkiMo athlete to Lausanne 2020. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

As as I know, the USOPC generally fulfills all or the vast majority of the quotas. The only times I can remember the US giving up quotas is when we pass the limit allowed. The USOPC has/used to have a dumb policy about not sending athletes in non-Olympic sports at the YOG, but maybe that’s changed since we sent SkiMo athlete to Lausanne 2020

probably they already know that SkiMo will become an Olympic discipline very soon (2026) and they're trying to be among the participants in the first ever SkiMo Olympic event...

11 hours ago, Vektor said:

I find it fascinating that big Western countries are unable to send larger teams because they don't have the money. Like, we are nowhere near the GDP of Italy or Germany, but if we could we would send "everyone". :d Or maybe I am wrong, it's not like we will ever get to test if there are limits to the Hungarian Olympic budget, the size of our Olympic team is shrinking, not growing, even 200+ seems like a distant memory for us at this point. 

it's a different consideration of what sport means in each Country...

here, it's just the last thing to think about...and no government wants to spend any money on that (they just give a miserable contribution only because they are morally forced to do it, but especially parties like the 5 Star Movement and/or any lefty group would even close our NOC down, if they could :yikes: :facepalm:)...

our politicians are always ready to appear on tv and newspapers with our sport champions, but they are also always ready to hit them from behind when needed, especially when it comes to funding...

it's not a coincidence that during this pandemic period the only truly locked down activity is amateur sport (and also some pro sports have been basically stopped for almost a year, like all the fighting sports)...

we could make a challenge...come here in Italy and try to find an open gym and/or swimming pool...if you can...

this is how they think about the future of our youngsters and of our sport movement in general...

:NED Eindhoven Qualification Meet

200m backstroke

2.09:72 Sharon van Rouwendaal

2.10:02 Kira Toussaint

Toussaint initially didn't want to participate in the 200m, but she is quoted in the Dutch news article about the 200m: "I had a bet with my coach. I jokingly told him: if I swim the Olympic standard, I'll paint your eyebrows. So that's going to happen today."

There is also an interesting battle going on for the 50m freestyle (w) ticket. The backstory is Femke Heemskerk missed the previous qualification meet due to quarantine and for a long time it wasn't certain if there would be another chance for Heemskerk. Valerie van Roon qualified behind Kromowidjojo in the previous tournament. Now Heemskerk has already beaten Van Roon's time in the series, finals are later today.

On 05/04/2021 at 17:21, Olympian1010 said:

As as I know, the USOPC generally fulfills all or the vast majority of the quotas. The only times I can remember the US giving up quotas is when we pass the limit allowed. The USOPC has/used to have a dumb policy about not sending athletes in non-Olympic sports at the YOG, but maybe that’s changed since we sent SkiMo athlete to Lausanne 2020. 

What quotas specifically did the USOPC give up?