website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

4 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

This is a very real tweet from the LA28 official page..... *Facepalm"

Other than the biographical information literally the only part of this tweet that is correct is that he qualified for a second Olympics ?‍♂️

Just now, NearPup said:

Other than the biographical information literally the only part of this tweet that is correct is that he qualified for a second Olympics ?‍♂️

it's hilarious because it's an original event dating back to 1908

:CAN Canadian Olympic trials, day 4

Women's 200m breast

• Sydney Pickrem (already nominated, did not race at trials)
  • Kelsey Wog (2:23.40)

Men's 200m breast

• No one with standard

Women's 200m butterfly

• No one with standard

Men's 200m butterfly

• No one with standard

Women's 100m freestyle

• Taylor Ruck (already nominated, finished fifth 54.58)
  • Penny Oleksiak (52.89, her best time since 2016 Olympic final, I believe)
  • Kayla Sanchez (53.77) + Maggie MacNeil (54.02) round out the top 4, likely our relay team 

Men's 100m freestyle

• Josh Liendo (48.13)

Top 4: Ruslan Gaziev ( 48.81 ), Markus Thormeyer (49.24)

Top 2 ranked: Kisil + Hayden withdrew from finals due to injury. So the relay team is a guess atp.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

48.43, which was better than the A standard. Swimming Canada should do the right thing and name him to the team in this event.

The Team announcement tomorrow is going to be fascinating. They've given themselves lots of flexibility in terms of who they select this time. I would expect them to name either Kisil or Hayden to the second spot in the 100m Free. I hope its Kisil. As much as I want to see Javi Acevedo names to the team it would be hard justify when they have Liendo, Gaslav, Thormeyer PLUS Hayden and Kisil hitting the A standard. 

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

48.43, which was better than the A standard. Swimming Canada should do the right thing and name him to the team in this event.

According to the qualification document if there are less than two swimmers qualified in an event at trials Swimming Canada will nominate the next best ranked swimmer that has the A standard, and will nominate the best swimmer with the B standard and a FINA invitation in events where Canada doesn't have anyone qualified, as long as they pass a "review for competitive readiness", which is defined as them being reasonably able to match their qualifying time at the Olympics.

The document very specifically says will, not may. From my reading of the document the only real discretion is if a swimmer is injured or otherwise no longer in good enough form to hit the standard.

11 minutes ago, NearPup said:

According to the qualification document if there are less than two swimmers qualified in an event at trials Swimming Canada will nominate the next best ranked swimmer that has the A standard, and will nominate the best swimmer with the B standard and a FINA invitation in events where Canada doesn't have anyone qualified, as long as they pass a "review for competitive readiness", which is defined as them being reasonably able to match their qualifying time at the Olympics.

The document very specifically says will, not may. From my reading of the document the only real discretion is if a swimmer is injured or otherwise no longer in good enough form to hit the standard.

Interesting. I was under the inpression that they likely wouldn’t be taking some of the B standard athletes. I think with the priority listing in the qualification document they may not but didn’t notice the wording.