website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

Just now, Makedonas said:

We also had a swimmer qualify in the men's 800 freestyle from that event and it looks like that's no longer the case either. So it wasn't just the relays but the whole meet.

yes, that's why I think the whole meet lost its qualifying status...and most likely it's because of issues with the doping tests (either they've not been performed at all for any reason or just there weren't any selected FINA official on site and therefore they can't be taken into consideration)...

4 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

We also had a swimmer qualify in the men's 800 freestyle from that event and it looks like that's no longer the case either. So it wasn't just the relays but the whole meet.

I know Ireland may have profited here but it’s a shame to see an athlete miss out because of an admin error (if that is the case)

2 minutes ago, dodge said:

I know Ireland may have profited here but it’s a shame to see an athlete miss out because of an admin error (if that is the case)

Thank you for your kind words. We're not missing out on medals or anything, but there are three athletes involved that may not be going to Tokyo anymore. And I don't even think they know yet either.

The 800m swimmer is super young and will have another chance next weekend at the national championships. The female backstroke swimmer has already been to the Olympics twice and might make it to Tokyo anyways via OST so hopefully that's the case for her. The male breaststroke swimmer will almost certainly miss out though. He's not that young either (I think he's 23) and we have some decent teenagers in that event so I don't think he'll be in the picture for 2024 either but you never know of course.

Took a quick look at all the relay qualifying countries

Finland still needs to qualify one woman (either through OQT or OST and selected) in order to keep their medley relay. They have only qualified a single woman and can only select 2 relay only athletes so they need another person.

The fact that so many of these governing bodies don’t release official statements or explanations is creating so much confusion and controversy. What a farce it would be for them to invite Ireland and Switzerland and then to rescind the invitation. And if they haven’t explained to the Greek federation the reasons for their exclusion, that is really poor from their communications department. What is going on? That is what everyone wants to know, not least the athletes involved and only FINA can explain that.

http://sportsfeed.gr/apokleistiko-kanonika-i-ellada/

According to this which was posted 5 minutes ago, FINA acknowledged that it was an error on their end and the Greek relay teams for men's 4x100 medley and mixed 4x100 medley will be going to Tokyo. I'm assuming this also means that Dimitrios Markos goes through in the men's 800m freestyle.

What a mess. FINA should just allow 17 teams to compete and let Ireland and Switzerland send their teams since it was their mistake. Might be more difficult because these are relay events, but a similar mistake happened in 2016. Greek swimmer Kristel Vourna was given an invitation to Rio because she reached the OST for 100m butterfly. FINA made a mistake because we already had one Greek swimmer with OQT in that event. So they revoked their invitation and then in the end they made an exception and let Vourna compete.

This reminds me of the women's bobsleigh in 2010 when the FIBT (now known as the IBSF) did not award Australia a continental spot, and had to back track and do so. The team that was bumped, Ireland, also got to compete. So FINA should do the right thing here as well and let the 17th team in both to compete.