website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

I don't understand why some countries have national standards. We would never do this to our swimmers who achieve a OQT, especially to someone young who would have a great opportunity to gain some experience at the Games. 

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

I don't understand why some countries have national standards. We would never do this to our swimmers who achieve a OQT, especially to someone young who would have a great opportunity to gain some experience at the Games. 

I agree with you, also in Italy we have very very difficult times to achieve to book the ticket for individual races to Tokyo, for examples 14.50.0  in 1500 free, 1.55.5 in 200 butterfly, 1.46.4 in 200 free, 4.13.0 in 400 medley, 51.5 in 100 butterfly,59. 3 in 100 breastroke, 48.20 in 100 free,21. 79 in 50 free, for men. For women 24.6 in 50 free, 4.06 in 400 free, 2.11.0 in 200 medley, 2.07.5 in 200 butterfly, 2.23.9 in 200 breastroke. In my opinion these times are too difficult, basically only very, very good swimmers can achieve these times, if you are a quite good swimmer you stay at home. I think the Fina limits are already quite difficult, probably too easy only in 800 and 1500 freestyle, but in the the other races are good enough to fly to Tokyo. 

3 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

The time isn't that bad. She would have finished 11th 2016 in Rio and 12th at the last World Championships. But sure, we can leave our few talents at home instead of giving them a chance to prove themselves.

If you are interested in a discussion, then quote me, otherwise no reason to spam this thread.

The time is ok and the fact that both her and Herkle improved their PBs this year is encouraging. In the past more often than not German talents, especially on the women’s side, stopped progressing after their junior years. You still shouldn’t make exceptions or you might as well get rid of standards. Vogelmann can compete at the European championships (and „prove“ herself there) and she is young enough to make the next three olympics. I think it can be good to still have a longterm goal (making the Olympics). For someone like her the goal shouldn’t just be to make the Olympics anyways, she has enough potential to medal in 2024 or 2028. 

I hope that many more German swimmers will reach the standards. I am especially interested to see what Gose and Märtens (both very young) can do (next weekend?).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

48 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

If you are interested in a discussion, then quote me, otherwise no reason to spam this thread.

The time is ok and the fact that both her and Herkle improved their PBs this year is encouraging. In the past more often than not German talents, especially on the women’s side, stopped progressing after their junior years. You still shouldn’t make exceptions or you might as well get rid of standards. Vogelmann can compete at the European championships (and „prove“ herself there) and she is young enough to make the next three olympics. I think it can be good to still have a longterm goal (making the Olympics). For someone like her the goal shouldn’t just be to make the Olympics anyways, she has enough potential to medal in 2024 or 2028. 

I'm absolutely for getting rid of the national standards. The FINA standards are difficult enough to reach. The national standards are also somewhat randomly chosen. So are the FINA standards, granted, but this the DSV can't change, as national federation all you can influence is your own standards.

Leaving someone at home who at least judging by past results has a theoretical chance to finish in the top ten to twelve is just nuts. Especially if it's such a young athlete.

And if it should indeed be Vogelmann's goal to win a medal in 2024 or 2028 then it definitely wouldn't hurt to make some experiences first.

I really can't understand why some NOCs are making such a fuss over how many of their sportsmen qualified for the games in sports like - I don't want to offend anyone, so let's call them "frisbee, ringo and bodybuilding" - but they decide not to send all their people who have met the international criteria in athletics and swimming, the core of the games.

It happens in Poland sometimes as well. E.g. Marcin Cieślak in swimming, 2016.

I don't know what's the situation in other Countries, but I can tell you that Italy have more demanding standards than IOC in those sports that could lead our team to be too big...

in Swimming and Athletics it's always possible to qualify so many athletes that our Olympic trip would eventually be too expensive because of too many participants (we always have to deal with 300 to 400 athletes...and this costs a lot to our poor NOC), that's why we always want to be sure that our guys don't get a free holiday but can at least go through the preliminaries and make at least the semis...

if we would allow all those who beat the "easy" FINA rather than WA standards, we would almost surely have a 500 to 600 people team, which is not sustainable by our NOC in terms of pure money...

in the end, it's always about money...:facepalm:

31 minutes ago, phelps said:

I don't know what's the situation in other Countries, but I can tell you that Italy have more demanding standards than IOC in those sports that could lead our team to be too big...

in Swimming and Athletics it's always possible to qualify so many athletes that our Olympic trip would eventually be too expensive because of too many participants (we always have to deal with 300 to 400 athletes...and this costs a lot to our poor NOC), that's why we always want to be sure that our guys don't get a free holiday but can at least go through the preliminaries and make at least the semis...

if we would allow all those who beat the "easy" FINA rather than WA standards, we would almost surely have a 500 to 600 people team, which is not sustainable by our NOC in terms of pure money...

in the end, it's always about money...:facepalm:

This time the WA standards are very, very, very hard and we will send every athletes who will achieve it, with some different windows of time. In swimming it's not understandable how you can ask 14.50.0 in 1500 freestyle,1. 56.40 in 200 backstroke, or not sending in 200 butterfly with 1.56.10(1.55.5 the time we ask, probably it will be enough for final) , it's a semifinal time, or asking 2.07.5 in 200 butterfly women, it's probably very close to a final time, or 4.13.0 in 400 medley and 59.30 in 100 breastroke, i don't agree with our federation, in this way we are leaving home swimmer that have great chances of semifinal and I think that in the end our federation will fill some of these spots that will remain free. 

8 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

This time the WA standards are very, very, very hard and we will send every athletes who will achieve it, with some different windows of time. In swimming it's not understandable how you can ask 14.50.0 in 1500 freestyle,1. 56.40 in 200 backstroke, or not sending in 200 butterfly with 1.56.10(1.55.5 the time we ask, probably it will be enough for final) , it's a semifinal time, or asking 2.07.5 in 200 butterfly women, it's probably very close to a final time, or 4.13.0 in 400 medley and 59.30 in 100 breastroke, i don't agree with our federation, in this way we are leaving home swimmer that have great chances of semifinal and I think that in the end our federation will fill some of these spots that will remain free. 

this time...

but in the past we used to have tougher standards also in athletics (and we also used to have a stronger and deeper team in athletics, but that's another story...:cry: :facepalm:)...

p.s I don't agree at all, too...and if I were an athlete, I'd go even in front of a trial court to make this discrimination end...

but I'm only a lazy TV spectator...