website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

Sixteen-year-old Kiwi swimming sensation books spot at Tokyo Olympics
Photo by BW Media⁠

Teenage swimming sensation Erika Fairweather's notched up another remarkable achievement today, qualifying for next year's Olympics.

Competing in the Auckland championships late this afternoon, Fairweather comfortably booked her place at the Tokyo games.

The 16-year-old posted a time of 4 minutes, 7.43 seconds in the 400-metre freestyle - a time which is nearly five tenths of a second under the qualifying time.

"I cant even put it into words, I'm just so gobsmacked I guess," Fairweather said.

"Im not going to lie, it hurt a lot but I was really determined and I wanted to get the time so I'm just glad I was able to pull it off."

Some news from the Italian national championship...

Ceccon, born in 2001, won the 100m backstroke with 52.84 and destroyed the National Record :cheer:

Obliviously, he won the Olympic Pass.

2nd place for Sabbioni with only 53.44, no pass for him.

Benedetta Pilato qualified for Tokyo in 100 breastroke in 1.06.02, Carraro 1.06.58 and Castiglione 1.07.01 not qualified yet, in March another chances with easier time to achieve. 

I hope at the end Italy will bring to Tokyo all the 3 girls

Bennyyyyyyy! :yikes:

15-year young sensation Benedetta Pilato just swam 1.06.02 (50m pool) in the women's 100m Breaststroke at the Italian Winter Champs...

obviously it's a new National record and also the Olympic pass for her...

Martina carraro was second in the same race, but swimming "only" 1.06.58, she didn't get the Olympic pass (it was 1.06.4 in this event)...

of course she's gonna have more chances to book her Olympic spot next year...

Benedetta Pilato is extremely impressive. I wonder how much faster than today she will be able to swim in Tokyo. A medal looks more and more within her reach. That would be something. Ruta Meilutyte was 15 years old when she won in London, remember?

1 minute ago, rafalgorka said:

Benedetta Pilato is extremely impressive. I wonder how much faster than today she will be able to swim in Tokyo. A medal looks more and more within her reach. That would be someting. Ruta Meilutyte was 15 years old when she won in London, remember?

who knows? she's young and strong, however she doesn't look your average 16-year girl...most likely she's going to improve 1 further second in 8 months time, which won't be enough to beat Lilly King...

I hope she can at least win a medal...