website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

From the last update, some meetings occurred, including national championships in :CRO and :CYP , youth championships in :FRAseveral minor meetings and three more important in :GER :GBR and :SRB. Some new nations were able to establish minimum A, specifically :CRO as reported @dcro, but also :SLO, :DEN and :ESP, all of them earning 1 minimum A in different events. Notably, :GBR was able to earn 3 new spots with 3 different athletes. 

This week, for the first time in my report, other nations established at least 1 minimum B. They are :TUR :FRA :SRB and :NED 

In women's events, only 50m is without any "qualified" athlete, and only 5 nations established a minimum B in this event. As regards men, instead, 5 events (100 m free, 400m free, 200 m fly and 200 & 400 medley) are without qualified athletes.

2 hours ago, AlFHg said:

From the last update, some meetings occurred, including national championships in :CRO and :CYP , youth championships in :FRAseveral minor meetings and three more important in :GER :GBR and :SRB. Some new nations were able to establish minimum A, specifically :CRO as reported @dcro, but also :SLO, :DEN and :ESP, all of them earning 1 minimum A in different events. Notably, :GBR was able to earn 3 new spots with 3 different athletes. 

This week, for the first time in my report, other nations established at least 1 minimum B. They are :TUR :FRA :SRB and :NED 

In women's events, only 50m is without any "qualified" athlete, and only 5 nations established a minimum B in this event. As regards men, instead, 5 events (100 m free, 400m free, 200 m fly and 200 & 400 medley) are without qualified athletes.

1) I think one of the Campbell sisters swam 24.41 yesterday.

2) Crazy to think that 14 year old Claire Curzan swam 24.89 yesterday and almost made the cut.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) I think one of the Campbell sisters swam 24.41 yesterday.

2) Crazy to think that 14 year old Claire Curzan swam 24.89 yesterday and almost made the cut.

According to Fina rules is also important where you swim it. However this is just an overview as, especially for best nations, real selection will be harder and later

On 17/03/2019 at 21:54, AlFHg said:

According to Fina rules is also important where you swim it. However this is just an overview as, especially for best nations, real selection will be harder and later

1) So the meet she competed in wasnt certified?

2) Of course i know that not everyone who makes the cut automatically qualified, but you were only taking about those who made the cut, so ... ?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 17/03/2019 at 21:55, AlFHg said:

There is also a very young French athlete that has actually achieved a B standard, but I don’t think she will be able to compete as she will be 15 next year 

Would like to know her name and event?

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) So the meet she competed in wasnt certified?

2) Of course i know that not everyone who makes the cut automatically qualified, but you were only taking about those who made the cut, so ... ?

FINA has published a list of meetings where it is possible to achieve A standards. I have been checking all those indicated and Campbell sisters were not taking part. Obviously it may be that I missed a meeting. As regards the young French, here it is: https://www.liveffn.com/cgi-bin/resultats.php?competition=59271&langue=fra&go=detail&action=participant&iuf=1724832

However she took part in 200 breast, not 50 free

On 17/03/2019 at 21:55, AlFHg said:

There is also a very young French athlete that has actually achieved a B standard, but I don’t think she will be able to compete as she will be 15 next year 

her name is Justine Delmas...and she was born in 2005, but I couldn't find the exact date...

however, she swam 2.29.73 in the 200m Breaststroke as her best performance...very, very good, but not so impressive, imho...

2 hours ago, phelps said:

her name is Justine Delmas...and she was born in 2005, but I couldn't find the exact date...

however, she swam 2.29.73 in the 200m Breaststroke as her best performance...very, very good, but not so impressive, imho...

Its a good performance, but nothing extraordinary. That time would be tied 7th on the US all time list for 13/14 year old girls. The american record for 13/14 year old girls is 2:25.75 by Amanda Beard from 1996. Last year at the junior european championships there was a 15 year old russian girl swimming 2:26.29 and a 14 year old girl from Isreal swimming 2:29.31. Especially in the 200 breast we often see girls like that who then never do anything at senior level. Just look at Solnceva who was swimming 2:19 as a junior in 2015 and still hasnt won anything at senior level.

Edit: To make the A standard she would have to swim more than 4 seconds faster (2:25.52).

Edited by OlympicsFan