website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

• 1 month later...

To those who are interested, here is a list of events (partial, I think/hope) of events recognized by FINA in which it is possible to achieve the minimum qualification standard:

http://fina.org/content/swimming-qual-events-olympic-games-xxxii-tokyo-jpn-2020

In Milan, at "Trofeo Città di Milano", 5 A-standard were reached (2 Pellegrini in 100 & 200 m freestyle, 1 Quadarella in 400 m freestyle and 2 Hosszu in 200 & 400 m medley), making them in theory qualified for Olympics. I have also counted 24 B-standards (considering only one per nation per event). Other 5 B-Standard were achieved in Lithuanian NC, 1 in a meeting in Zurich. Other events are being held in :SUI :BEL :LAT  :GRE  :TPE and :KOR (respectively: Hipoint meeting, Flemish Championships, NC, NC, NC and Trials). As it is difficult to find some results, especially because they are not in English if there are some, I would kindly ask somebody who can understand the languages to post the results here :)

Update: after checking, I found also 1 A-standard in Greek Championships (Christou in 100 m backstroke)

Edited by AlFHg

52 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

In Milan, at "Trofeo Città di Milano", 5 A-standard were reached (2 Pellegrini in 100 & 200 m freestyle, 1 Quadarella in 400 m freestyle and 2 Hosszu in 200 & 400 m medley), making them in theory qualified for Olympics. I have also counted 24 B-standards (considering only one per nation per event). Other 5 B-Standard were achieved in Lithuanian NC, 1 in a meeting in Zurich. Other events are being held in :SUI :BEL :LAT  :GRE  :TPE and :KOR (respectively: Hipoint meeting, Flemish Championships, NC, NC, NC and Trials). As it is difficult to find some results, especially because they are not in English if there are some, I would kindly ask somebody who can understand the languages to post the results here :)

Update: after checking, I found also 1 A-standard in Greek Championships (Christou in 100 m backstroke)

as you know, for the Italian swimmers these times don't count anything at all...to qualify for the Olympics they have to A) win a medal at this summer's world champs and/or B) match the federation's criteria (which are normally more demanding than the simple FINA/IOC A-standard) at the Italian Spring Champs 2020...

anything else, is just for the books (they might set also a couple of "recovery meets" like Settecolli and/or the European Champs 2020, but that's the past, not something mathematical also for the next Olympics)...:evil:;)

by the way, also yesterday not too many interesting clockings in Milan...Katinka Hosszu swam 4.37 in the women's 400m IM (with cusinato following in 4.40, despite the stomach virus she got together with half the team) and 2.10 in the half distance (Cusinato at 2.13), Pellegrini won the women's 100m free in 54.2, no-sub 60 secs by Martinenghi in the men's 100m breast, Miressi only at 49.2 in the men's 100m free, Detti at 3.47 despite the stomach virus and its consequences, Quadarella won the women's 400m free in 4.07, Chad Le Clos (another prestigious guest of this meet) won the men's 100m fly in 52.45 ahead of Laszlo Cseh (52.76) and Piero Codia (52.79), Vergani leading the men's 50m free at only 22.08 and finally Cseh taking the men's 200 IM with 2.01...

and that's all from Milan, folks! :d

1 hour ago, phelps said:

as you know, for the Italian swimmers these times don't count anything at all...to qualify for the Olympics they have to A) win a medal at this summer's world champs and/or B) match the federation's criteria (which are normally more demanding than the simple FINA/IOC A-standard) at the Italian Spring Champs 2020...

anything else, is just for the books (they might set also a couple of "recovery meets" like Settecolli and/or the European Champs 2020, but that's the past, not something mathematical also for the next Olympics)...:evil:;)

I don't know about the exact criteria of our NF for Tokyo 2020, but I know further IF conditions exist and that is why I said they are "in theory" already qualified :D I am just limiting to IOC criteria, because I think it is interesting :)

• 2 weeks later...

To whom it may concern, (and for the first time in a while I write this sentence not to start a cover letter), here is a very brief recap of swimming qualification after some events took place. Please note that, as @phelpspointed out and as I'm sure almost all of you know, every nation uses its own additional qualification criteria, so this is a purely statistical data made for my own fun.

At the moment, 25 athletes have reached at least once the minimum A in one event. In total, considering multiple participation for athletes, I counted 34 times that A standard was reached. At the same time, 121 minimum B were also established (maximum 1 per nation per event, not counting nations where an A standard in the relevant event was reached).

With this data, this is the current quota distribution:

:USA 13 athletes with 18 minimum A achieved;

:CHN 2 athletes with 4 minimum A achieved;

:ITA 2 athletes with 3 minimum A achieved;

:HUN 1 athlete with 2 minimum A achieved;

:JPN , :LTU , :GRE :CHI :GBR :CAN and :GER with 1 athlete each, with 1 minimum A.

Other nations having achieved at least one minimum B are :BEL , :KOR :EGY :RSA :BRA :POL :HKG :NED :DEN :BLR :MEX :VEN :KAZ :RUS :GUA :SUI :AUS :NZL 

Among the qualifying meetings, the most proficient for qualification purposes has been the TYR Pro Swim Series in Des Moines, :USA, with 27 A standard, followed by City of Milan Trophy, :ITA with 5, and Greek :GRE and Lithuanian :LTU national championships, with 1 each.

Hali Flickinger, :USA has achieved a minimum A in 3 different events.

PS: Please note that I only have partial data regarding Korean National Championships.

Edited by AlFHg

8 hours ago, dcro said:

:CRO Franko Grgić clocked 14:56.55 over 1500 m freestyle, becoming our first ever male swimmer who achieved OQT since its introduction for London 2012.

I cannot find results for Croatian championships, can you give me a link?