website statistics

Women's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

9 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Just drop the bullshit baseball tournament (not the softball) and we have quota to spare for 2 teams...

Actually we won’t. The IOC has capped the Summer Olympics at 11,500 quotas. However, they allowed Tokyo 2020 to add a few more quotas to add the new sports, that won’t be the case in Paris. The quotas for Breaking, Climbing, Skateboard, and Surfing will be coming from somewhere else...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

At this point is a convoluted race between boxing, weightlifting, water polo (maybe a few others, sailing/golf) as to who will lose their core sport status in the program review after 2020. Who ever loses will most likely be replaced with Squash, Breaking, Sport Climbing, Skateboard, or Karate.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Source?

Originally I reas that on ITG, but was a long time ago, and I can’t find the article. However this IOC press release from the time they were added helps my argument:

“The additional sports in Tokyo will not impact the athlete or event quotas of existing Olympic sports or be binding on future host cities. The current athlete and event quotas are unaffected.

The IOC considered a variety of factors when assessing the proposal, including the impact on gender equality, the youth appeal of the sports and the legacy value of adding them to the Tokyo Games. 

The inclusion of the new sports will add 18 events and 474 athletes.”

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Originally I reas that on ITG, but was a long time ago, and I can’t find the article. However this IOC press release from the time they were added helps my argument:

“The additional sports in Tokyo will not impact the athlete or event quotas of existing Olympic sports or be binding on future host cities. The current athlete and event quotas are unaffected.

The IOC considered a variety of factors when assessing the proposal, including the impact on gender equality, the youth appeal of the sports and the legacy value of adding them to the Tokyo Games. 

Currently unaffected, add 474 athletes. 

hace 1 minuto, Olympian1010 dijo:

I do believe you, but I have no idea how Paris can fit all that garbage they chose within their max athlete quota without deleting 2 core sports entirely (not even one is enough I think).  

5 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I do believe you, but I have no idea how Paris can fit all that garbage they chose within their max athlete quota without deleting 2 core sports entirely (not even one is enough I think).  

The obvious suggestion is to bring men’s football down to 12 teams. This isn’t a dream world, that won’t happen. 
Luckily, the sports added won’t take up that many quotas (somewhere around 200). I don’t fear huge quota quota cuts, but probably a few here and there.

57 minutes ago, intoronto said:

That won't do it. It has to come from the core sports. We all know FINA has a lot of sway (they were able to get most events on the program), so water polo will not be going anywhere anytime soon. However, 2024 is a goal for complete gender equality, so something has to give. We have to get 12 teams for the women by then.

Artistic swimming may be a target, at the very least the team event while mixed duet may replace women's duet.

Though they may be using those quotas to counterbalance Greco-Roman wrestling.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Artistic swimming may be a target, at the very least the team event while mixed duet may replace women's duet.

Though they may be using those quotas to counterbalance Greco-Roman wrestling.

Artistic Swimming is safe for that reason. I do think we’ll see Mixed Duet added over Duet soon though.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Actually we won’t. The IOC has capped the Summer Olympics at 11,500 quotas. However, they allowed Tokyo 2020 to add a few more quotas to add the new sports, that won’t be the case in Paris. The quotas for Breaking, Climbing, Skateboard, and Surfing will be coming from somewhere else...

It's actually 10,500 athletes. They also want 310 events, but I doubt that will be the case. I don't see where they will cut 29 events...