website statistics

Women's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Africa has to have a chance to participate though. So, as unfortunate as it is, South Africa is within their right to participate.

The big issue is that FINA have largely ignored Africa. They are very lucky that Egypt, South Africa, Tunisia, and Algeria exist. Those are pretty much the only nations competing anywhere near world standards in various disciplines. I think we’ve seen some improvement in Africa, but Aquatics is by far one of the most underdeveloped sports in Africa. It may have a high amount of competitors, but those swimmers aren’t as competitive as the canoeists, rowers, sailors, fencers, runners, weightlifters, judokas, rugby athletes, and taekwondo athletes we’ve seen emerge from the continent recently.

However, this is how South Africa goes to the Olympics without having to show any performance or beat anyone. Just because it's the only African country that can take 11 swimmers. Nonsense. Positive discrimination.

26 minutes ago, tjunior said:

However, this is how South Africa goes to the Olympics without having to show any performance or beat anyone. Just because it's the only African country that can take 11 swimmers. Nonsense. Positive discrimination.

Right, but that’s on FINA. They haven’t exactly pushed to develop the sport in Africa. They’ve known the IOC requirements for a long, long time. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Still waiting for someone outside of affected nations (Italy, Netherlands, Greece, Hungary) to complain about this. :coffee:

I hate that South Africa qualified :mad:. How the hell are :ISV and :FIJ supposed to qualify now!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

35 minutes ago, dcro said:

Still waiting for someone outside of affected nations (Italy, Netherlands, Greece, Hungary) to complain about this. :coffee:

I'm in an affected nation and not complaining about this, does that count to make up for one complaint? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

55 minutes ago, dcro said:

Most of these teams will also have 4 chances to qualify. It would be ridiculous from them to complain about a lack of opportunity to qualify. You can gripe about South Africa being bad, but you may want to take a look inward first...

Again though, I do think South Africa’s participation isn’t the greatest thing for the sport. However, FINA hasn’t developed the sport in Africa, and that’s on them.

If Europeans don't qualify they have to look at themselves first, it's their fault.

If the African team(s) is (are) shitty, the fault is on FINA that couldn't develop the sport among those who don't care.

Got to love the double standards here - without doubt due to the fact that the South Africans have had a much harder life than their European counterparts.:whistle:

After all South Africa beat the powerful Korea at the WCh so they have a recent official win, they deserve to get an Olympic spot.

South Africa getting a victory lap is terrible? However, Italy, Hungary and Netherlands getting near-free tickets would be good? Greeks have no chance either way.

There will be literally two somewhat decent teams that miss out. Boohoo. All other team sports would be extremely lucky to find themselves in such situation.

#banbestmen

Greece is comparable to South Africa and would lose all matches by 30 without having a chance to advance to quarters? That's news to me - the quality of the tournament is important to someone, Greece instead of South Africa would be a huge step ahead...now one group will be essentially of 4 teams with everyone advancing again.

It is a shame not having 2 top teams at the Olympics instead of 1 because South Africa wants to send a team that it is not competitive at all...

I know that Spain and Russia might be the 2 most benefited teams, but it is unfair that only 2 of the Netherlands, Italy, Hungary and Greece are going to participate in Tokyo. In my opinion, Africa should not have a regional spot in women waterpolo, at least with only 10 teams. Good luck to these 4 teams at the OQT! I will enjoy a lot that tournament as a neutral spectator.