website statistics

Women's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

On 24/06/2021 at 01:37, Makedonas said:

https://sports3.gr/ethniki-gynaikon-polo-psigmata-elpidas-gia-symmetochi-stoys-olympiakoys-toy-tokio/

According to this, there is still a chance that South Africa's women will withdraw and Greece will take their spot. The FINA president informed Greece about it during the World League super final which was just held in Athens. 

So now the Greek girls are still training (in a combined training camp with Canada). We even got two girls who didn't compete in the World League to come back to the team for this training camp.

Women's water polo has been in the last 5 Olympics 

Australia has 3 medals - a Gold and two bronzes plus a 4th and a 6th from these 5 games 

What is it with you eastern europeans and your anti non european stance . It's a constant meme here 

16 minutes ago, rajiv said:

Australia has 3 medals - a Gold and two bronzes plus a 4th and a 6th from these 5 games 

What is it with you eastern europeans and your anti non european stance . It's a constant meme here 

Australia? European-bashing obsessed troll doesn't know the difference between South Africa and Australia?:lol:

Interesting collection of trolls we have here. (TO, not just this topic)

A provocator (whose name shall not be uttered) who enjoys posting reactionary (not simply conservative) social and political views and turning every topic into a political mudslinging fest.

Then someone who apparently believes that “eastern europeans” are 1. so ignorant about the world outside Europe that they dont even know what happens there and 2. are obsessed with speaking out against participation of non European nations in certain sports. I see some lack of consistency here but its maybe just me.

Personally I would support increasing the field to 12 teams, thereby matching the male field. It would ensure that a. every continent is represented with at least 1 team and b. every “major” team of the sport has a chance to be there if qualify. 2 additional teams is 24 additional athletes, just cut it from modern pentathlon or whatever.

3 hours ago, rajiv said:

Please show me where in the post which you quoted did I say anything about Australia.

Also my past comments in this topic are about the qualification system as a whole. It is a bit unfair (in my opinion, feel free to disagree) that certain countries automatically qualify just because of their geographic location without having to swim a single metre to earn it. South Africa will lose every game by 20+ goals, mark my words. My issue is not with any other country or team but more with the qualification system as a whole in women's water polo. I don't have any "anti-non European" feelings in my heart.

Perhaps you would have a different opinion on this qualification system if your country won gold at the World Championships and did not make it to the Olympics the next year (which happened to Greece in women's water polo London 2012). So yes, I am bitter about that and I have every right to be.