website statistics

Women's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

14 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

South Africa not withdrawing? It's a big disgrace. Greece deserves to be there. Our girls just won Euro League again with Olympiacos, all players on the roster are Greeks.

Sorry if this sounds rude but Australia, China, and Canada being automatically in Tokyo is also a joke. They did not have to swim one metre to earn their spots. Pure luck based on what continents they are from. We always beat them too (especially China and Canada), so I don't want to hear it from any of them. You guys know we are better than you too, so don't even try to say otherwise. These teams don't have chances to win a medal. We do. :facepalm:

Can you please link the results where Greece beat Canada/China in this Olympic cycle? Thank you. 

28 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Can you please link the results where Greece beat Canada/China in this Olympic cycle? Thank you. 

2019 World Championships we beat China 12-8 in the playoffs.

Also 2017 World Championships we beat Australia twice (11-8 in group stage and 8-6 in 7th place match). I know you didn't ask for that but I should've included them too.

We have not played against Canada in this Olympic cycle as far as I know (not sure if there have been friendlies), but we beat Canada 11-4 in the 2016 Olympic Qualifying Tournament and 8-5 at the 2015 World Championships. I believe those were the last two meetings between our nations in women's water polo.

Canada also qualified by finishing second at the Pan American Games, where they lost 24-4 in the final...

• 1 month later...

https://sports3.gr/ethniki-gynaikon-polo-psigmata-elpidas-gia-symmetochi-stoys-olympiakoys-toy-tokio/

According to this, there is still a chance that South Africa's women will withdraw and Greece will take their spot. The FINA president informed Greece about it during the World League super final which was just held in Athens. 

So now the Greek girls are still training (in a combined training camp with Canada). We even got two girls who didn't compete in the World League to come back to the team for this training camp.

On 23/06/2021 at 17:37, Makedonas said:

According to this, there is still a chance that South Africa's women will withdraw and Greece will take their spot. The FINA president informed Greece about it during the World League super final which was just held in Athens. 

Or maybe not? We will know very soon either way.

Invite_June-Olympics-program.jpg

#banbestmen

:RSA WP team announced.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQg3xvmJkws/

Honestly, I would not be surprised if the FINA president 'suggestion' was based on nothing else but South African previous tendency of declining water polo teams (which is meaningless here and now). That's pretty much how low my opinion of the FINA the federation is.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

:RSA WP team announced.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQg3xvmJkws/

Honestly, I would not be surprised if the FINA president 'suggestion' was based on nothing else but South African previous tendency of declining water polo teams (which is meaningless here and now). That's pretty much how low my opinion of the FINA the federation is.

God the South African women’s Rugby 7 team must be *livid*. They are at a much higher level than either South African Water Polo teams.

Damn, too bad. I really don't see how it helps the sport to have South Africa there when they will lose every game by +20 goals.

Hopefully our girls will finally make it back to the Olympics in 2024. If you told me in 2011 after we won the World Championships that we wouldn't make it to London, Rio, or Tokyo, I would've laughed at you...

On 24/06/2021 at 20:57, NearPup said:

God the South African women’s Rugby 7 team must be *livid*. They are at a much higher level than either South African Water Polo teams.

Wait, what happened there? South Africa accepted both water polo quotas, but refused a rugby one? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, what happened there? South Africa accepted both water polo quotas, but refused a rugby one? :yikes: 

Check the link I shared in the team sizes thread.

Sa rugby and canoeing teams got unlucky since their quotas got refused before covid, basically...

#banbestmen