website statistics

Women's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

11 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

I thought Africa had no quota?

I know that Africa doesn't have secure quota in men's tournament, only a spot in OQT. I am not sure about women's tournament since Croatia doesn't have serious team yet,

1 minute ago, dcro said:

I can't find anything that confirms South African free ticket. :p

Literally not a single thing on SA water polo sites, and you'd think that would be a big deal...

I doubt it, probably they only announced they will compete at OQT.

Anyone has more info on the olympic qualification tournament? In particular, how many teams are going to take part and from that how many from Europe?

Hungarian sports media says it is a 12 nation tournament (as in 2016) with 5 places for Europe (this would be NED, HUN, ITA, GRE and FRA based on the ECh 2020 results), on the other hand Wikipedia says (with no source) a 15 nation tournament with 8 places for Europe. This latter seems suspicious, as the number of participants in those tournament used to be an even number

Who will publish the participants of said tournament? The FINA?

2 hours ago, ATHENS 1896 said:

is there any information or web link for the Asian Olympic qualification tournament in Kazakhstan, next month?

For the moment I only found this: https://www.wpnews.eu/asian-water-polo-championship-in-kazakhstan/

But will post if found something else.

according to a few prestigious sources, it's basically confirmed (still, not official, but almost) that :RSA South Africa decided to take advantage of their "free quota" in both the men and women's Waterpolo Olympic tournaments in Tokyo...

therefore, for what concerns the women's division, the final qualification tournament ( :ITA Triest, March 8th-15th) will only award 2 spots...

and it's confirmed that it will be a 12-team tournament with :ITA / :HUN / :NED / :GRE / :FRA / :BRA (the only teams officially confirmed so far) and 6 more non European teams, with the remaining teams from the last European Championship (in ranking order) standing-by and waiting for possible withdrawals from those non-European teams with priority...

55 minutes ago, phelps said:

according to a few prestigious sources, it's basically confirmed (still, not official, but almost) that :RSA South Africa decided to take advantage of their "free quota" in both the men and women's Waterpolo Olympic tournaments in Tokyo...

therefore, for what concerns the women's division, the final qualification tournament ( :ITA Triest, March 8th-15th) will only award 2 spots...

and it's confirmed that it will be a 12-team tournament with :ITA / :HUN / :NED / :GRE / :FRA / :BRA (the only teams officially confirmed so far) and 6 more non European teams, with the remaining teams from the last European Championship (in ranking order) standing-by and waiting for possible withdrawals from those non-European teams with priority...

South Africa's women's rugby sevens team must be quite upset, they were the only team sport to decline their quota.

I wonder if FINA will make a rule change if it looks as if South Africa will take the quota in the future. Perhaps make it so that a continental qualifier must take place. Australia won't have an issue scheduling a match with New Zealand. Even if Africa is able to schedule an event, at least there will be some kind of push to develop water polo on the continent.