website statistics

Surfing ISA World Games 2021

Totallympics

43 minutes ago, Fran-UDA said:

But by repechage, the countries could also obtain the Olympic Quota, right?

Correct. Nobody has been eliminated on the women’s side yet. The 16 women in round 4 are only guaranteed a top 24 finish, and if they make it to round 5 they are only guaranteed a top 12 finish.

Making it all the way from the first round of the repechage is a really long road, however.

8 hours ago, Laraja said:

Round 4 defined for men.

:PAN:POR:INA:ESP:JPN:PER:MEX:CHI:GER are still on main round and close to the quotas.

:INA is the favorite to get at least one quota so far. 2 surfers on this round and if Shun Murakami :JPN qualifies again, Rio Waida will take it.

Murakami, please show some kindness to your fellow Japanese...

Angelo Bonomelli :ITA is out. I was betting in him to get one quota. He was the third best european surfer on ISA 2019.

He still can get it, if Fedrerico Morais :POR and Leon Glatzer :GER qualify in El Salvador

the only sport in the 2020 Olympic program that I know absolutely nothing about is Surfing. so I wanted to watch some of the competition today to learn a bit about the sport before the Olympics.

to my huge surprise I saw two Iranians in the start list :lol: (I don't even know which organization is responsible for this sport here) one of them is already eliminated and the other guy is in repechage 2 ! (and will be eliminated soon) the name "Tom Rezvan" doesn't sound Iranian at all. but I assume they are both Americans with Iranian heritage.

I learned the competition format. that was easy. but my question is about the number of events. I see only shortboard events will be at the Olympics. are there any other events in Surfing competitions ? longboard for example :p (sorry if this question sounds dumb :d)

1 minute ago, dcro said:

What are the chances for :CRC:PAN:NCA:ESA ? :mumble:

Costa Rica have a good chance on women's side with Leilani. The men are all of them on repechage.

Panama have a surfer on main round 4, amazing performance so far.

El Salvador the best surfer is Bryan Perez, but, if I am not wrong, all surfers are in repechage rounds...

Nicaragua has two sisters still fighting for quota, and it is a big surprise for me. Candelaria on main round 4 and Valentina on repechage round 4.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

the only sport in the 2020 Olympic program that I know absolutely nothing about is Sailing. so I wanted to watch some of the competition today to learn a bit about the sport before the Olympics.

to my huge surprise I saw two Iranians in the start list :lol: (I don't even know which organization is responsible for this sport here) one of them is already eliminated and the other guy is in repechage 2 ! (and will be eliminated soon) the name "Tom Rezvan" doesn't sound Iranian at all. but I assume they are both Americans with Iranian heritage.

I learned the competition format. that was easy. but my question is about the number of events. I see only shortboard events will be at the Olympics. are there any other events in Surfing competitions ? longboard for example :p (sorry if this question sounds dumb :d)

There are 4 disciplines.

Shortboard, Longboard, Stand up Race, and Stand up Surf

37 minutes ago, Laraja said:

There are 4 disciplines.

Shortboard, Longboard, Stand up Race, and Stand up Surf

and may I ask what's the difference ? except the board being longer or shorter :p

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

and may I ask what's the difference ? except the board being longer or shorter :p

So, Longboard, as you said, the board is longer :lol:

But there are different tricks and different ways to rate the surfers on the waves. For example, there is a maneuver where the surfers put all the fingers of their feet outside of the board. This counts a lot for juries.

Stand Up Surf is basically the same of shortboard, but they use paddle.

Stand Up Race is just a race :lol: