website statistics

Men's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

1 hour ago, Pifta said:

I find it really strange that out of 54 countries, only 1 can find 6 men who can swim and throw a ball. Even if they lose to South Africa, it is worth fighting for 2nd place. 

At some point there were some waterpolo teams, but african rivers are infested with crocodiles, my friend...

On 11/02/2020 at 17:26, phelps said:

Olympic Qualification Tournament (Rotterdam, NED, March 22nd - March 29th)

Preliminary stage draw

Group A

:GRE Greece

:MNE Montenegro

:GEO Georgia

:CAN Canada

:BRA Brazil

:WHT TBD (Asia #1)

Group B

:CRO Croatia

:RUS Russia

:GER Germany

:NED Netherlands

:ARG Argentina

:WHT TBD (Asia #2)

Argentina withdrew from the tournament so Romania will participate

it seems both China and Kazakhstan are OK with that decision and the only country upset about it is Iran ! our swimming federation believes they have a chance against Kazakhstan (even though they admit the chance is very slim) but at very least they prepared the team for couple months and paid their Serbian coaches they want to play Kazakhstan at least.

Iran sent some letters to IOC and FINA asking them to not cancel the Asian qualifiers. they offer FINA two options, 1) having a match between Iran and Kazakhstan anywhere in the world ! 2) both teams participate in World qualifiers in the Netherlands and the best ranked Asian team qualifies.

59 minutes ago, MHSN said:

it seems both China and Kazakhstan are OK with that decision and the only country upset about it is Iran ! our swimming federation believes they have a chance against Kazakhstan (even though they admit the chance is very slim) but at very least they prepared the team for couple months and paid their Serbian coaches they want to play Kazakhstan at least.

Iran sent some letters to IOC and FINA asking them to not cancel the Asian qualifiers. they offer FINA two options, 1) having a match between Iran and Kazakhstan anywhere in the world ! 2) both teams participate in World qualifiers in the Netherlands and the best ranked Asian team qualifies.

China is ok with the arrangement? If I were the Chinese official I would say no and offer the FINA similar options, having the match in Rotterdam just before the worldwide qualifier begins and then whoever lose it continuously participate the next one( hopeless anyway) . It doesn't create too much burden for anyone and much more fair.

One more question, why not Iran hold the game? Because it has to hold men's and women's together?

Edited by Vic Liu

4 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

China is ok with the arrangement? If I were the Chinese official I would say no and offer the FINA similar options, having the match in Rotterdam just before the worldwide qualifier begins and then whoever lose it continuously participate the next one( hopeless anyway) . It doesn't create too much burden for anyone and much more fair.

this is what I heard, apparently Iran Swimming Federation contacted other national federations to see if they can create something against this decision but they didn't receive any positive response, therefore they are protesting alone.

China is apparently OK with the arrangement, and others simply don't care since they had no chance.

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

this is what I heard, apparently Iran Swimming Federation contacted other national federations to see if they can create something against this decision but they didn't receive any positive response, therefore they are protesting alone.

China is apparently OK with the arrangement, and others simply don't care since they had no chance.

Why not Iran suggest itself hold the game? Iran doesn't ban Chinese in my memory.

Just now, Vic Liu said:

Why not Iran suggest itself hold the game? Iran doesn't ban Chinese in my memory.

strict limitations but not a blanket ban but Iran can't host the women's competition. it seems if a country wants to host the Olympic qualifier (the way it was supposed to be) it has to host both genders.

that's the issue otherwise Iran would host all those Olympic qualifiers in all sports :d (and I'm not exaggerating) and actually they are thinking about it. that's impossible in sports like waterpolo or wrestling. but at least in taekwondo they already offered WT to host the competition as well as the Asian Championships. of course not in mainland Iran but in one of the islands where rules are let's say a bit less strict

but honestly I think FINA could find a solution for this if they were really committed. maybe separating men and women competitions, finding a host for each one, or having the competition in Italy and the Netherlands if nobody is interested, cancelling the event was the worst possible solution.

On 19/02/2020 at 19:39, MHSN said:

strict limitations but not a blanket ban but Iran can't host the women's competition. it seems if a country wants to host the Olympic qualifier (the way it was supposed to be) it has to host both genders.

that's the issue otherwise Iran would host all those Olympic qualifiers in all sports :d (and I'm not exaggerating) and actually they are thinking about it. that's impossible in sports like waterpolo or wrestling. but at least in taekwondo they already offered WT to host the competition as well as the Asian Championships. of course not in mainland Iran but in one of the islands where rules are let's say a bit less strict

but honestly I think FINA could find a solution for this if they were really committed. maybe separating men and women competitions, finding a host for each one, or having the competition in Italy and the Netherlands if nobody is interested, cancelling the event was the worst possible solution.

China state-owned media reported today FINA officially notified China women's water polo qualified for Olympics. It may imply that Kazakhstan qualifies in men's though no FINA official announcement on its website. Also saw news China and Iran will "boycott" men's world qualifier.

I was in contact in one of Iran NT players in past few days, Iran Swimming federation talking to FINA and IOC in past couple of weeks, trying to convince them to have a match vs Kazakhstan and apparently they received some positive signs, the players were told to be ready to maybe play one match against Kazakhstan most probably in Moscow !

but now with the recent news about virus in Iran, it seems even our federation almost lost hope that FINA takes another decision. still nothing is officially confirmed by FINA but the players were told to keep training.